• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quadratec replacement engine??

diggerdave

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys

After 215k miles my 97 xj's motor has gone belly up.:repair: Cylinder two is at 80 psi and the quotes I've gotten from some local machine shops are pretty close to what it would cost me to get a new crate motor from quadratec. I'm wondering if anyone has purchased one of these motors and could give me some advise on whether a replacement motor is a better route than rebuilding my existing motor?

In the long run I'd definitely just recommend purchasing a new motor from Quad. You're going to have a new product with a warranty. That's always nice piece of mind in my opinion - especially with it being a Jeep and all lol :)

If you are interested in something more powerful, now would be a good time to put in a 4.6 stroker from golen. It also comes with a 3 year warranty and guys who have bought from him seem to be very happy.

If you are interested in something more powerful, now would be a good time to put in a 4.6 stroker from golen. It also comes with a 3 year warranty and guys who have bought from him seem to be very happy.

Quadratec also sells the Golen Stroker. Both companies list it for $3799 on their website (not sure how much shipping comes to). It's probably a drop ship item from Golen but if Quadratec does keep stock, one of their warehouses may be closer to you which could bring the shipping costs down.

Thanks for the info! I think a stroker might be a little out of my league my main concerns being with mileage and ecu compatibility. I'm hoping to make this swap as straight forward as possible. But that's a great idea and worth looking into for sure.. One thing I had considered was changing the cam to see if I can get a little more torque on the low end but I've got some research to do to find out if that's an option from quadratec and what other modifications would be needed to accommodate a different cam..

If you choose this route, Comp Cam's has a couple of offers for the 4.0:

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...creen=CTGY&Store_Code=CC&Category_Code=A6Cams

One of the things to consider with any upgraded cam is mismatched materials. For example, on the Ford 302, the factory cam has a steel cam gear (which means it also has a steel distributor gear to match). Comp Cams uses a different material for the gear on their cam and those that don't pay attention find that the steel distributor gear will destroy the cam gear in short order. Those who did their research learned this and changed the distributor gear to match. I don't know if this is an issue with their Jeep cams but it is something you will want to research.

HTH
Todd

Call Quadratec tech support/sales and find out the name of the engine rebuilder, then do your due diligence.

Back