• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting on a lift by myself

Good thoughts from y'all. Appreciate it. I'm going downstair to tackle the rears. Probably get them done tonight and call it good until tomorrow.

I have 3 Jeeps in the garage, so maybe I'll just grab all 3 bottle jacks as Snail suggested. Never can tell when one may come in handy.

If some one can explain to me how to post pictures, I'll try to get some up eventually. I tried to the do the icon posted above where we type(little mountain with a sun over it...insert image) and it wanted a www. address.

Anyone know how to post pictures from the computer's H drive?

Thanks again for the encouragement, reassurance, and suggestions.

Off to wrench...

don't forget to put a jack under the rear pumpkin yoke when you take off the leafs so that your rear end doesn't rotate and yank your slip yoke out of the t-case..

grab the bottle jack from under the backseat too. i ended up using it to help line up the new leafs to the stock shackles. (RE 3.5" SF w/ full packs)
X2 on this for sure. I actually did all the springs one at a time without touching anything on the opposite side till I was done with the first side. This probably made my life harder, but I was working in my driveway in a downpour... ended up setting up a ghetto tent over myself with two ten foot lengths of conduit and some painters plastic.

Have brake fluid and spare hard brake line of the right lengths on hand if you live in the rust belt and your brake lines are at all rusty, I blew up one of mine from one of the U-bolts letting go (I cut it) 6" from where it actually broke the line, just the shock of it popping broke the line. I know at least one other guy from NAC had the same thing happen. That brings me to another point, buy new bolts for a lot of the stuff... leaf eye I would suggest it, U-bolts are practically required, very little needs to be replaced on the front. If your kit comes with all this ignore me, else, you can either look at 5-90's tech page for bolt specs and buy them at your local Fastenal, or ask here and we can give you a table of specs, or I can provide a parts list of OEM part numbers to order.

Not sure if someone else already mentioned it, but junk the rear sway bar for sure. Some XJs (with the UpCountry and/or towing packages) came from the factory without one, don't give it a second thought, it's not worth the hassle. Just unbolt it, toss it, and forget it.

Back