• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

proracedriver616's "jeeplife" story

Re: where have all the good cherokees fs gone

Keep in mind. Feb-march are the worst two months for budget car buyers, tax time drives up the customer base..

I have a $1000 gas saver that I think I could get $2k out of right now, it's tempting! Now is the time to sell, not buy!

I just picked up a clean and completely stock 2000 classic w/ just a hair over 200,000 miles on it from the original owner for 2,000$.

are you guys telling me this cause your selling them or to say that there are good deals out there...ive went and looked at/driven 6 or 7 cl jeeps now and only one has been worth making an offer on and the kid decided he didnt wanna sell it

I'm mainly just rubbing it in your face that I managed to find one and you haven't. :D

I got mine from a friend's dad that Ive known for a good decade. So I my "deal" wasn't one I had to go out and find. I actually tried giving him more but he refused to accept it.

But yes, while a lot of XJ's out there are rediculously overpriced there are still good deals to be had. My friend recently bought a 2001 for 1500$ that just needed the AW4 swapped out of it due to a cracked case. Its a bit rough body wise (a few good scrapes and dents, nothing too bad) but as he is going to be wheeling it thats not a major issue.

I picked up a 98 with 118000 for $2300.00 a few weeks ago. Interior is in really good shape and other than a few scratches and dings, the exterior is also in really good shape. It wasn't running when I bought it, but I changed the coil and it fired right up and runs like a top.

I finally got a good one! I just picked up a '96 country thats a one owner vehicle. ill post some pics up tomorrow

I tried to upload some photos but have no idea how to do it with my new phone... I created a flickr account but can't figure out how to link those photos here either, so if somebody knows how to or wants to see them search flickr for proracedriver616. I hate technology

Here ya go.

6916925193_fd3a9dae11_b.jpg

Not bad at all man. Slap a coat of paint on that front bumper and it'll look really good. Nice score man.

The pass. side fender has 3 big dents just above the style line, kinda hard to see in that pic. The drivers side fender has a big bow in in from the corner of the bumper being pushed back into the fender. Other than the front end blemishes it is extremely clean and the interior is immaculate. I work at a body shop so ill be replacing both fenders and the bumper and repainting the whole front end because the hood and header panel are checked really bad like most older cherokees. I have a lead on a whole 97+ front end that i might be able to get real cheap but i wont know about that till the end of the week. I forgot that the rear bumper also had a big dent right in the center of it so i picked up a 97+ rear bumper and the end caps, i need to find the rear flares and then i can put that on too. I also got the 97+ door mouldings that run along the lower sharp body line so ill be removing the tall ribbed door mouldings and replace them soon too. Do you guys think i should do the bumpers and bumper caps/flares/door mouldings all flat black or paint them body color....or do the steel part of the front and rear bumper body color, the bumper caps flat black, the flares body color, and the door moldings flat black. They came all 3 ways from jeep, Im thinking i like the last option the best.

like this
2mplp5d.jpg

I like the non-color matched mouldings and color matched bumpers.

Why not just fix it up as is and sell it for a profit, then get yourself a 97+ instead of converting this one into one?

I actually like the older ones a little better, mostly interior wise. I do like the older front end a little more, but i think i found a deal i cant pass on a 97+ front end from a friend of mine. The 97+ definately had better looking bumpers. I was gonna fix it up and keep it all stock looking, but i think im gonna do a little mixing and matching with new and old bodystyle factory parts and put a little 3" lift on it. I wanna keep this one for a while as my dd and something to go camping with this summer. Im not really looking to sell it, this is the nicest cherokee ive had out of all 6 of them, i like the color a lot and love the clean interior. Plus i work at a body shop so this is all really easy/cheap for me to do.

I get you on that, I do think the older interior was a bit roomier. I actually kind of agree on the newer exterior and the older interior, but the pre-97 interior I like the best is tan w/ woodgrain.

Untitled by proracedriver616, on Flickr

I figured out the flickr thing! Interior shots never turn out that great, but the interior in this thing is as close to perfect as you can get in a '96...I just wish the cruise control buttons were somewhere else so i could swap the worn out airbag steering wheel for an older grey one with the round horn button that has the fake allen head bolts around it.

Tell you what, I like the older interior too. ALways thought I liked the newer ones more, but now that I have mine, I miss my 92' Especially the gauges.

Back