• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

proracedriver616's "jeeplife" story

Re: where have all the good cherokees fs gone

drove it out of my parking lot just to make sure it wasnt bound up being parked, but the bumpstop on the passenger side was actually touching when i stopped in the street...maybe the shackle bolts are waay to tight causing the springs to stay bound up?? idk i didnt bring home any tools to check, but i will tomorrow.

And i did a little research, i guess clocked and or flipped 300s are notorious for puking oil from the vent. Didnt dutch have a 300 in the YJ? Did you have any issues with this dutch?

Led's leaked like a mofo too

Mine was never flipped, but I did have it clocked flat. It spewed a bit out the vent tube the first time I wheeled it but never again after that. Maybe it was out of fluid, but the thing never quit working or dripping out the drain plug so there must have been something in it.

Led's leaked like a mofo too

Yes it did. When I got it it was doing it pretty bad.

Looking on line, the blowby can be greatly reduced by drilling/locating the breather tube in the case higher and not directly above the spinning gears so that lube isn't being flung all over the tube opening.

The one Led put together - IIRC - was located in the top plate and directly over the gears.

The other thing is to keep the vent hose routed so that it rises the entire length and no dips. When oil settles in the dip in the hose, it creates a blockage and the oil gets drawn in rather than air venting. If that makes sense. I thought about routing the vent hose directly up from the t-case through the floor and zip tying it to the cage tubes and out the roof to vent.

As far as your bumpstops........ christ! They weren't like that when you came by my place with the truck that day. I recall looking specifically at the bump stop block that the guy made and there was lots more gap between the bumpstop and the block than what your photos show. So yeah, check the shackles and make sure they aren't too tight, that'd suck the leaf packs down if they aren't being allowed to flex back.

The shackles being on "backwards" isn't really an issue for the MJ. The boomerang cut is intended to allow more clearance for rearward movement on an XJ so they don't hit the back of the shackle box.

Last edited:

I figured out the stiff-ass-rear-end problem!!!

On my lunch break i loosened all the leaf spring and shackle bolts till they were just snug, then i unbolted the bump stop pads from the axle and took it around the block. Nothing changed!!! It still rode exactly the same, stiff as crap.

So after i got off work i decided to unbolt the bottom of the shocks and just let them dangle on my drive home. I unbolted the drivers side shock , popped the bolt out, and let it dangle. When i got to the passenger side i took the nut off, but the bolt wouldnt just slide out of the shock bushing because it was under a bunch of tension. So i pried on the bolt while i unthreaded it and when it popped out of the bottom of the shock the whole back of the truck sprung up!

The shocks fully extended are about 4" too short, just at ride height....so they are probably 8-10 inches too short overall. After unbolting both shocks, now the back of the truck is sitting 4" higher than it was before! :laugh:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8350828145/

You can tell in the pic that the back was sitting a little lower than the front before, which was alright...i liked the stance. It rides a ton better but now the back is a few inches higher than the front. Its too dark to get a pic right now though

Told ya it was something to do with the rear shocks.......... :shhh:

Glad you got it figured out. :thumbup:

Yay!!! so no getting rid of it! Well at least that is easy fix!

Post up what length shocks you will need, I have a buddy with a set of Bilstein 5100's he'd sell for fairly cheap

Post up what length shocks you will need, I have a buddy with a set of Bilstein 5100's he'd sell for fairly cheap

I was just looking at 7100s...but cheap is good. Hopefully ill have time this weekend to flex it out and measure for shocks

Yeah man, just let me know. Its the guy that had the silver XJ on 37's who'd be selling them.

FWIW the 5150's are by far the best riding shock I've ever had on a rig.

where have all the good cherokees fs gone

You can still get them new for now. Seriously some of the best shocks ever made.

love my 5125s... loved em on the XJ too.

I Finally have a weekend off...and the weather is nice....at the same time! So i took advantage of it and worked on the truck a for a couple hours this afternoon. I got a front end off a white 99 xj that some chic was parting out on craigs list. Its the offwhite instead of the whitewhite like my truck but its not far enough off to bother me, plus i got a smoking good deal on the hood, header panel, and both fenders.

Heres the little one helping take the front end apart, she unbolted the old header panel almost completely by herself, i just had to start a couple of the screws that were too tight and unplug the electrical connectors:

I got the fenders and hood on and all lined up pretty good and decided to just swap and modify the header wiring inside and bolt that on tomorrow since the sun was starting to set
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8395753629/]

Then i drove around looking for a loading dock to flex the rear out on, I didnt find any close and didnt wanna drive too far with no headlights or turn signals so the super sloped walls at the king soopers right by my house worked great and its only like a block away
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8396873646/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8395755893/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8396838846/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8395759601/]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8395789729/]

The poser flex shots were all done/taken with the front sway bar hooked up, so the front will flex quite a bit more then that, but thats not what i was going for today. The rear bumpstop pads are also unbolted at the moment, but from the looks of it, they would only limit the wheel being stuffed by about 1/2" or so. As it sat flexed out it measured 16" with the wheel stuffed into the flare and 23.5" on the extended side. I imagine that in a real world situation there could be another couple inches of droop and ill subtract an inch of the collapsed measurement so the shocks dont bottom out. That means i need shocks that measure close to 15"collapsed and 25/26" extended.

The billstein 5125s are really close to the length i need, the 9" travel shock is 15.11" collapsed and 24.35" extended, the only bad thing about these is the fact that they only offer one valving option for them (on polyperformances website anyways, where all this info came from) and its 255/70 which i think might be too stiff the the back of an mj.

The 7100 series non resevoir 10" travel shocks are 16.1 collapsed and 25.77 extended, which would also work great, I believe my bumpstops would be contacting just before the shock actually bottomed out and these would give me plenty of droop. And they offer these in an array of valving options: 150/50 170/60 180/75 255/70 275/78 and 360/80.

Ive never bought anything other then the junky white gas shocks so i have no idea what to base or compare valving options to. Does anybody have any real world experience with different bilstein valving options or shocks on an mj? If so id love to get some insight.

p.s. dutch what are the measurements and valving on your buddies shocks?

I have 255/70 in the front of my xj, they ride great!

If I was buying 7100's for the back of my mj I would go with 180/75. If you are serious about getting 7100's, first off there is going to be a lead time, probably 4-10 weeks ( or that's what it was in August when I looked in to buying). Seond, I would call bilstien and explain exactly what your looking for and what your driving, have them build accordingly, since your going to have to wait anyways. Third get rid of the bar pins and OEM mounts in the rear, 7100's are heims so you should make double shear mounts for the shocks. Last of all, If I was to spend the coin and had an mj, I would get long travel and cut thru the bed and use hoops, so that no matter what losing lift/gaining lift you are still able to utilize the shock.

Have you looked in to 5165's? That's what I went with Instead of 7100s... Utilize OEM mounts, rubber bushings not heims (smoother ride on road), they are rebuild able just need to send them in (when they break) and get a Schrader valve and some parts replaced with 7100 parts.
5165s have Less or no lead time, and if your not running over whoops all day at speed the reservoir should be more then enough to keep your shocks cool.
Plus they have the floating piston in the reservoir to increase shock travel for less body.

Trucks looking GREAT by the way! Glad your keeping it.

One more thing;

Most pre-runner guys go with a 5125/5150 in the rear or an equivalent shock, and a bigger shock in the front like your 7100/5165 fox,king,etc... This is a way of saving money and it does not effect performance to much. Truthfully with out having a progressive leaf in the back (deaver or alcan) and your not running at speed for long amount of periods, you are not going to see a huge performance break between the 7100/5165 to a 5100/5125. With your current leaf you will see little to no shock fade.

If you can't find your size in bilstein and you don't want to cut thru your bed, what about fox, or OME shocks?

I'll ask him tomorrow. FWIW I am running the softer valving 5150's both front and rear on the XJ.

xj5280: Thanks for the info, I did not know that there was lead time on 7100s so those are out of the question, i dont wanna wait that long for shocks. Secondly mjs are already setup from the factory with a stud on top and my rear end has a double shear mount on the bottom, so im all setup for double eyelet or heim shocks. The 5165s seem pretty pricey. Im not set on bilsten, but for the price they seem like one of the best...although fox is in the same ballpark for the nonresevoir 2.0s. Id like to stay under $300 for rear shocks if possible...and i dont need remote resevoir or piggyback shocks as this truck will not see really any go fast type of stuff, mostly crawling type of stuff.

This morning i got the wiring harness modified and bolted the header back on, man my jeeps look good parked next to each other

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8398605677/]

I put the bump plates back on the rear axle and snapped a quick shot of how short the rear shocks were before i unbolted them completely

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8398606525/]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77129649@N05/8398606525/

:thumbup:

Wow! That looks great!

Sorry I don't mean to talk your ear off first about the leafs and now the 7100's I just thought I would share my research/experience.

Back