• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projectors HID

Best site for purchasing our specialty stuff is here:
http://www.rallylights.com/

I am pushing to have us sell 'em here at Quadratec. It'd be sweet and we'd sell 'em like hot cakes.

I still cringe almost everytime I see an HID thread lol. Most people just don't seem to understand the differences between kits and actual projectors. And even worse, they think that after the kit is installed the lighting gets better. When in reality all it's doing is tricking your eyes with 4300k light and intense hot spots.

I drove around in my friends new TL-S the other day and I was amazed by it's optics. Too bad the projectors are mega long and huge.

I'm going to be undergoing a retrofit very soon on some cheapo 7x6 housings. But I'll most likely use some e46 or S2K projectors. Nothing too fancy.

Those'll get it done. E46 projectors are nice.

hmmmm its a 100 bucks ill try em and if they suck ill sell em.

Technically any E-code housing is illegal, since it's not DOT approved.

TRSCobra said:
Technically any E-code housing is illegal, since it's not DOT approved.
Many of the more expensive E-codes are DOT approved as well.

We put a set of xenarcs in my buddys old jetta. My vw gti with ecodes, lexus hids and custom cut off shields were brighter and had a better beam pattern with almost no glare. I was never highbeamed (car is very low, so im under most people) and the cops didn't bother me ever.

We took those xenarcs and put them in my xj and I wasn't impressed. We aimed them and the beam pattern wasn't that wide and they didn't throw the light out very far. With the high beams on it was a little better, but it seemed inferior to a good set of ecodes and relays.

I run relayed hella ecode h4's with hella 55/60w bulbs, no blue bulbs on my current xj and my old xj and I was way more impressed. Very rarely do I need my highbeams or my hella 500's on. Alot of the roads by me in NJ aren't very well lit either. A projector hid setup properly setup would outperform my lights any day but I wouldn't want to drop the $$$ and time to make them just to have them get smashed by something while out in the wheeling.

87baseomatic said:
We put a set of xenarcs in my buddys old jetta. My vw gti with ecodes, lexus hids and custom cut off shields were brighter and had a better beam pattern with almost no glare. I was never highbeamed (car is very low, so im under most people) and the cops didn't bother me ever.

We took those xenarcs and put them in my xj and I wasn't impressed. We aimed them and the beam pattern wasn't that wide and they didn't throw the light out very far. With the high beams on it was a little better, but it seemed inferior to a good set of ecodes and relays.

I run relayed hella ecode h4's with hella 55/60w bulbs, no blue bulbs on my current xj and my old xj and I was way more impressed. Very rarely do I need my highbeams or my hella 500's on. Alot of the roads by me in NJ aren't very well lit either. A projector hid setup properly setup would outperform my lights any day but I wouldn't want to drop the $$$ and time to make them just to have them get smashed by something while out in the wheeling.
Have any pics????

DanMan2k06 said:
fluted lens' kill the output as well...
Actually the fluted lens is designed to properly focus the beam. It functions as a Fresnel lens.

No no I mean in the case of HID's. I've seen guys that do the whole retrofit, but inside a fluted housing. it totally destroys the cutoff.

As for halogen's and "kits", ::shudder:: I agree the light would be all over the place with no focus.

Heres what I meant.

IMGP2836.jpg

IMGP3490.jpg

as compared to...
P2201124Medium.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

Also while we're on the topic of HID's and such, check these out.
http://spitzkraft.com/detail.php?item=13&numlow=1
01.jpg

Oh yes, in the case of HID retrofits you are absolutely correct. Sorry I misunderstood. That's a really amazing comparison of a fluted vs. clear lens HID.

Not a problem atal. Yea they're pretty tits when people do them well :) I'm really interested in the spitzkraft ones, as $1000 for an entire, OEM quality system seems decently reasonable. However, with all the lighting scams on the market today, I would have to see some pretty convincing pictures before blowing 10 bills on some headlights...

Thanks danman those are what i wanted

Those Toyota photos are what I tried to find on my forums but couldn't. That's eventually what I am doing with the XJ.

Instead of spending $1000 on those already built projector housings, spend $400 on a complete HID kit, WITH projectors and do it yourself. $600 savings is a lot of cashhhh for other mods.

The hid kits in themself are not illegal, being an inspection mechanic for 6 years I know that ANYTHING that was not on the vehicle when it left the factory is cause for an inspection failure. Meaning, brush guards, plate covers, exhaust with cat delete, lights, fogs, overhead lights.. Anything. Next comes the motor vehicle code. If it is DOT approved.... What can a state cop do? In the event you put an HID kit (non dot) into a HALOGEN dot approved housing.... It technically not legal BUTTTT how many state cops are liftin hoods and checking your bulbs. I would say that the only people in fear are the rice burners as they are always hid kittin' their hondas.

Honestly though I'm very very pleased with my DELTA aftermarket clear lens housing with some sylvania x-tra vision H3 bulbs standard load installed and a set of cheapo driving lights mounted to the bumber. Could use a nice set of fogs to compliment them but have excellent short and down range view. Blue bulbs are a huge waste its nothing more then a film cover. good luck to you

I assume you're on HIDplanet as well ghost? I know what you mean about the retro, but at the same time it gets complicated trying to finish 100 projects at once. Not that I would ever blow a G on some headlights, but it gets tempting. I'm still trying to find the smallest (shortest) projector though. XJ's don't have much in the way of room behind the header panel.

Back