• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Telluride: tons, big rubber, and a clean slate.

On my 05,I ended up using a portaband for the cast big chunks, a plasma where I could and a LOT of time with a cutoff wheel and a flap disk.

I decided to buy a bigger grinder, too. The bigger wheel size helped speed things up.

On my 05,I ended up using a portaband for the cast big chunks, a plasma where I could and a LOT of time with a cutoff wheel and a flap disk.

I decided to buy a bigger grinder, too. The bigger wheel size helped speed things up.

Do you have a build thread?

Do you have a build thread?

No build thread, but I do have a bunch of pictures through the process if anyone needs something specific. I just finished up the front a couple weeks ago.

ok here we go. So lets start with this, hindsight, i would have paid a shop to do this. There is zero room, most of the brackets are double, some triple walled, and fully welded. So i ate up a handful of cutting discs, portaband blades, and flap wheels. I thought i had a plan when i started, but the lack of room quickly put me in my place, and it became a whatever to get it done type thing. Only Advice i would give to anyone that has same axle is to get the buchings and their retainers out of the way first.

image_zpsq7z0tpfs.jpeg

i took off as little of the cast on driver side as possible. Decided to run the lower brackets against the inner c's as possible. Makes for way less cuttin on the axle and just looked right visually.
image_zpsizdhyj0q.jpeg

image_zpsgicadtnq.jpeg

image_zpshjb1t485.jpeg

Last edited:
The upper link bracket as it ships from Barnes was too big to fit where i wanted, and i knew that was the case when i ordered it. I planned on mounting it differently anyway.
So i tossed in the heim and spacers to get the exact height i needed.
image_zpsgvpyjja9.jpeg

As you can see there is a bit of room to be knocked off.
image_zpsjno4ojvs.jpeg

1.5" to be exact. Marked the excess, cut it all off, and got it all welded up.

Kind of hard to see, but the upper link mount is up there, wedged between the pinch weld and the floor.
image_zpsmka3nu9e.jpeg

The heim will sit horizontally like in the first pic, with the bolt going through the floor.
and dont worry, i cleaned up the remnants of the LCA mount.

Last edited:
Otherwise i mocked up to assemble, tacked, and welded the rest of the link mounts.
image_zps9rg8xend.jpeg

I know i am not welder, and been a few years since ive really welded anything, but i think the welds came out alright. Lots of room for improvement, but i feel good with it.
image_zps9xh9lo2y.jpeg

Last edited:
Really was hoping to get to work on these from Boostwerks, but i spent waaaaay too much time stripping the axle. Soon soon. They are so pretty, and not even assembled :D
image_zpsu9xfrgpt.jpeg

Lol the axle looks so small now...not looking forward to it now.

The shock mounts were the real pain in the ass. Mine were welded pretty much all the way around. And they are two separate 1/4" plates, that are also welded together. I cut the control arm mounts, and cast. Then took the portaband and cut along the tube outward through the shock mounts. Took forever. And left a lot to grind down. But was only was I could think to approach it. (Have a plasma but no air compressor to push it. -insert expletive here )

I'm about to start on building the exact same set of axles.

I'm going to ignore everyone telling me to not build the 10.5.

Looks good so far! I'll subscribe so I can learn what to do and not to do.

If you use a portaband to cut the cast around the tube for the section you are removing, the blade is perfect. (Ran a 1/2" blade) but right as the top of the blade is even with the cast, the cut is perfect. Made sorting out depth of the cut super easy as far as that is concerned.

Did you keep all of the pieces you cut off? I was curious how much was going to come off the axle and kept the scraps in a Homer bucket. I was amazed that it filled the bucket completely! I wish I would have weighed it before I tossed it all, that was one heavy bucket!

I don't want to tie up this thread with my pictures, so if it helps anyone, I have a photobucket album with the collection of pics from my 05 axle build (sorry, they are unorganized)
http://s224.photobucket.com/user/swillier/library/2005 Superduty 60 Build

In4aride, it's looking good. Can't wait to see it finished. Do you have a goal or deadline for completion?

By all means I know there is limited info for these going in XJ.
I just tossed everything honestly. It did weigh a ton though. And so much dust from cuttin. It was absurd.

My goal is to wheel it at least once before my Vegas trip in early May. I'd like to have it done in the next few weeks but not sure how that's going to pan out.

Are you running 1ton tre's in steering or what size heim did you drill out the knuckles for?

Yup. I have high steer. I can't remember who, maybe Weaver?, has an insert for the passenger side knuckle hole to fit 3/4" bolt.

Once your ready for a shakedown run, let me know, I'm looking for any excuse to get this thing out.

Here's the insert. It was Weaver. Looks like you would need 2 if you are doing heims on the knuckle arms. They have 5/8" and 3/4" bolt size. https://www.weaverfabrication.com/product/tre-adapter-bushings/

I also saw that people have drilled out a bigger 1" hole and welded GM taper inserts in if you want to use TREs.

Penrose is a good shake down area. Break it in hard if you are going to run it hard!

Back