• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project New Gen Comanche

they look photoshopped. if you look at the flag in the right side attached to the garage you will notice the same thing in all the pictures...

bigrofl.gif

Well, the angry hammer weilding midget has been evicted! The diesel noise was the timing chain. Got it swapped out today and it runs nice and quiet now.

Ya think this looks a little loose? :D

P1011818.jpg

It's dug in deep into the tensioner and - unfortunately you can't see it in this pic, the link rollers were really worn out - several had cracks in them. I looked at the old and new chains side-by-side and the old one was about 1/8" longer than the new one.

P1011819.jpg

Next: See if I can figure out the low rpm mis-fire sputter. I'm hoping that'll also cure the running rich at idle problem. After that, I'm gonna try my luck at an emissions test......... :rolleyes:

Same color as the grime around the timing cover gasket Phillip. Speaking of color, hmmmm, Penzoil.

Same color as the grime around the timing cover gasket Phillip. Speaking of color, hmmmm, Penzoil.

not on my watch!!:conceited

is the crank nose tore up or is that just some gunk on it?

Gunk. This engine is....... very well insulated with gunk! :D

Shoulda taken it for a power washing before starting these projects..........

Yeah, it does have the dreaded "Penzoil" varnish and a very light crud buildup but overall, it's pretty clean inside considering. I took a valve cover and oil pan off another 4banger I had a while back for a guy needing 'em for his YJ.... the valve cover had a "goo mold" of the rockers and weighed several pounds more than it should...... I'm happy with the varnish. :smile3:

Last edited:
Gunk. This engine is....... very well insulated with gunk! :D

Shoulda taken it for a power washing before starting these projects..........

Yeah, it does have the dreaded "Penzoil" varnish and a very light crud buildup but overall, it's pretty clean inside considering. I took a valve cover and oil pan off another 4banger I had a while back for a guy needing 'em for his YJ.... the valve cover had a "goo mold" of the rockers and weighed several pounds more than it should...... I'm happy with the varnish. :smile3:

it is a gunk magnet. Everytime I'd hit it with shiny engine bright and powerwash it, it would devlop a new oil/coolant/mystery leak and re-coat itself... I think it likes it, and honestly, I became fearful that the gunk was all that was holding it together!!:repair:

not on my watch!!:conceited
Good man! What did you use in it, and for how long?

If you are interested in replacing gaskets and seals, go ahead and clean out the residue. I kinda feel xj-grin is on track with that old-school rustproofing.:D

Good man! What did you use in it, and for how long?

If you are interested in replacing gaskets and seals, go ahead and clean out the residue. I kinda feel xj-grin is on track with that old-school rustproofing.:D

I ran Valvoline 10-30 in it, like I have every car I've ever had (except the current XJ due to stroker/Crane flattappet cam/zinc issues)... I rolled the dice when I bought it and ran some seafoam through it (vac line) -- incredibly nasty smokage, but the bulk of the seals appear to have survived the cleaning (honestly, it leaked so much fluid, it likely would have been hard to tell if it got any worse) :anon:

Did some front end work on it Sunday. After driving it around a bit with the cooling system fixed, I noticed a pretty nasty case of death wobble and an odd knocking/thudding noise in the front end that radiated into the steering wheel when going over speed bumps/pot holes.

All steering components were surprisingly in great shape as were the ball joints and front axle shafts.

The track bar was fubar, so that got swapped with a better used one - no more DW.

The front end thudding actually seems to be a bad steering column. The end of the column where the shaft comes out of the firewall is loose as hell. Like it's got a bad/non-existent bearing. I suppose not having P/S puts more stress on the steering shaft/column. Just gonna leave that like it is for now.

Gave the grimey 2.5L and undercarriage a bath too before the weather rolled in. Kinda purdy now..... :thumbup:

I imagine it is, in a back country, Arkansas cousin sort of way...

Indeed. A set of these are going on some mudflaps next:

Truckerchrome.jpg

you "noticed" a case of death wobble?... you may have been warned! :dunce: Glad you didn't end up in a ditch! I figured it had to be the tracbar or similar, since I knew the balljoints were good, and didn't feel too much play in the tie-rod ends when I swapped the front end in...

Penzoil, hmmm

It looks like an orange glaze to me.
Kinda like what body builders look like below the neckline during competitions.

So THAT's what they use!

you "noticed" a case of death wobble?... you may have been warned! :dunce: Glad you didn't end up in a ditch! I figured it had to be the tracbar or similar, since I knew the balljoints were good, and didn't feel too much play in the tie-rod ends when I swapped the front end in...

Yeah, you gave fair warning! :D :thumbup:

Back