• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem removing radiator:

1. please don't bump, it's against the rules.
2. reposting the same question just fills the thread up...
3. I have no idea what connector you're talking about, that is why I didn't answer the first time. Are you talking about the tabs on the fan housing that push into the slots on the radiator? And the electrical connector is just a regular jeep connector... unconnect it.

Yeah the fan pulls up.

17350-lg.jpg

it just sits in the bottom. undo the top 2 screws, disconnect the plug, push towards the engine and pull up.

Thanks for the pic of the fan.
Mine definitely has a metal spring clip on the lower tabs. Could be aftermarket, I've had a lot of work done on it over the years by others.

I tried various things to get it off and got fed up and yanked on it and it popped out. I didn't want to break it but it just needed to be pulled straight up to compress the spring.

1. please don't bump, it's against the rules.
2. reposting the same question just fills the thread up...
3. I have no idea what connector you're talking about, that is why I didn't answer the first time. Are you talking about the tabs on the fan housing that push into the slots on the radiator? And the electrical connector is just a regular jeep connector... unconnect it.

That's cool. Just running out of time before the warm days are gone and want to get it done. I'm active on several various message boards, and I've never seen a no bump policy before. Seems kind of silly with the number of bs/chat threads on here to be worried about space, but hey cool I'll play by your rules. Go delete my posts if you want.

Still have not gotten the disconnect off, guess I will go the cutting route.
Cheers.

those quick disconnects are made in Hell and consist entirely of pain, suffering, and frustration. They do not disconnect and are by no means quick so I'm not really sure why they are called that.

Once you get it off, the radiator should come out fine though.

I read somewhere that they were invented by Ford.....

Thanks for the pic of the fan.
Mine definitely has a metal spring clip on the lower tabs. Could be aftermarket, I've had a lot of work done on it over the years by others.

I tried various things to get it off and got fed up and yanked on it and it popped out. I didn't want to break it but it just needed to be pulled straight up to compress the spring.

That's cool. Just running out of time before the warm days are gone and want to get it done. I'm active on several various message boards, and I've never seen a no bump policy before. Seems kind of silly with the number of bs/chat threads on here to be worried about space, but hey cool I'll play by your rules. Go delete my posts if you want.

Still have not gotten the disconnect off, guess I will go the cutting route.
Cheers.
now that you say that, I am pretty sure I found one metal clip on one of mine... the rest must have rusted off over the years.

As for the no bumps policy - I am not sure of the exact reason for it, but I think it's to avoid cluttering the thread and making it confusing to read, not due to database space. Basing it off database space would be just plain silly in this day and age, seeing as 1TB of hard disk space costs well under 100 dollars. No worries either way, it's obviously not anything I'd consider 'bad' enough to warrant any real action, just figured I should bring your attention to it for future reference.

heyhar - well, that certainly explains a lot. Chrysler wiring and Ford hydraulic parts... at least we don't have any Lucas designed components on the XJ, only Renault :eek:

... at least we don't have any Lucas designed components on the XJ...

reminds me of my favorite joke--

Q.) why do the English like warm beer?

A.) refrigerators are made with Lucas Electrics:wow:

candle-in-the-wind electronics were the bane of my existence when playing with M.G.'s

reminds me of my favorite joke--

Q.) why do the English like warm beer?

A.) refrigerators are made with Lucas Electrics:wow:

candle-in-the-wind electronics were the bane of my existence when playing with M.G.'s
I prefer the 3-setting headlights more...

(off, dim, flicker)

come to think of it, maybe Lucas DID help Chrysler with the electronics.

Back in the late Seventies, my sister bought a '72 MGB. Beautiful little car, bright red, a real head-turner. And it went like this: 'How can you tell it's spring? The batteries are dead!' Lucas' first attempt at an internally regulated alternator. The $10 chip kept burning out. Easy to fix, thankfully. She finally cured it by buying a Toyota. Didn't do too bad on the MG, either. Drove it a few years, traded it on a Celica, got back what we paid for it, as it was that nice. That was my last foray into the wonderful world of British Motoring! XJ's are a little more forgiving.

Okay I hate doing things the wrong way so I didn't cut it yet.
I actually bought the plastic tool and shoved it in there but it did not seem to pop it. Heard a click but doesn't come apart.

Why not just leave the nonquick disconnect attached and unscrew the brass fitting on the spigot from the existing radiator and screw it to the new radiator?

Depends - do you have two nuts, one within the other, on that line, or just one? A pic would be awesome.

Basically, on some/most XJ radiators, which only have one nut there, the nut holds the tube and trans fluid cooler into the coolant tank, and all you gain by unscrewing it is risking cracking the trans fluid cooler tubes inside the tank. If there are two nuts, one within the other, what you can do is unscrew the innermost one that is right on the tube and remove the spigot/adapter piece just as you said.

I am hesitant to give any kind of year split info on this difference... as I haven't been able to figure it out for sure.

Back