• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible legislation to move smog exemption to 1981 and older

I agree, it should be treated. But that should be in a separate plant and used for landscaping irrigation. I would not want it dumped into the water we're going to drink.

I don't anything from a wastewater treatment plant in my drinking water.

Stupid city of San Diego with their toilet to tap.

Desalinization is the way of the future

Am i the only one that doesnt want some 1980 POS?

Yes.
loonyjack.gif

flipoff.gif

Read the post. The answer is there.
(And, if you're going to kvetch at me for 'wasting water' - back home, all of the storm drains ran to the water treatment plant. Why don't they do that out here?)
Water wasting, in all of its forms is going to kill us. The Colorado river supplies a lot of water out this way and it doesn't even provide enough water to reach the Gulf of California anymore. LA gets a chunk of their water from the Owens River valley, supporting all the farming in the SFV by stealing the water that was used for farming the Owens River valley. Wasting water because you think the state wastes even more is foolish logic.
and technically just because you dont have to smog it doesnt mean it's not illegal to pull off or alter smog equipment, they're still bound to the same rules as a newer car. So technically you're advocating breaking the law, and i award you one demerit.
See? how do you like it? :D
You're trying too hard. Swapping engines does not necessarily entail removing smog equipment. A newer engine will make considerably more power with all of it's smog equipment than the low tech smog equipment currently choking 70's cars.

You're trying too hard. Swapping engines does not necessarily entail removing smog equipment. A newer engine will make considerably more power with all of it's smog equipment than the low tech smog equipment currently choking 70's cars.
but my point is why would you need a smog exempt vehicle to do a motor swap if you were going to abide by the law? If you weren't breaking any laws you wouldnt need a smog exempt vehicle as it is perfectly legal to swap a newer more powerful motor into an older vehicle as long as it has the proper smog equipment from the donor vehicle. And technically if you swap a motor from a 91 mustang into a 74 bronco, you need to bring it to the smog ref to be inspected, and you'll now have to smog it as a 91 mustang forever.
I'm really just busting your balls because i know you like to do the same when people post up about illegal mods. I personally think it's all BS anyways, aside from the sniffer test. Clean air is the only thing that matters IMO, who cares what road we take to get that the end result. The rest is bureaucratic BS.

I can agree on that. If I can swap a different engine in and get better emissions than current, but I lose some of the equipment, than what's the harm?

Are you sure that you'd have to smog the vehicle if you swap engines? I have a 73 F250 and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to show it to anyone if I swap engines around. But then, I haven't looked too hard at the regs yet since an engine swap is a long ways off for me.

I can agree on that. If I can swap a different engine in and get better emissions than current, but I lose some of the equipment, than what's the harm?

Are you sure that you'd have to smog the vehicle if you swap engines? I have a 73 F250 and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to show it to anyone if I swap engines around. But then, I haven't looked too hard at the regs yet since an engine swap is a long ways off for me.
i think it's technically the law, but it's like marijuana at this point, i think for the most part it's overlooked unless you're doing something blatantly over the top and wrong. Like if you got caught street racing and nearly run over a kid and a cop sees it, he may hit you with everything he has.

same with motorcycles, you dont have to smog them, but watch out if the cop wants to be a dick. i've seen people get MASSIVE fines for having aftermarket exhausts. they had to take it to the smog ref and everything. they would set up checkpoints on Palomar to scare people away from going up there to drag knee around the corners everytime it got out of hand. Many bikes have catalytic converters these days, so the fine was the same as if you got busted for removing it from a car.

as for swapping the motor and having to bring it to the smog ref, check the laws, i know it's the case for smogged vehicles, and i would be EXTREMELY suprised if there was an exemption in the law for older vehicles since the same laws apply to them. It may be overlooked, but i bet it's technically the case.

Water wasting, in all of its forms is going to kill us. The Colorado river supplies a lot of water out this way and it doesn't even provide enough water to reach the Gulf of California anymore. LA gets a chunk of their water from the Owens River valley, supporting all the farming in the SFV by stealing the water that was used for farming the Owens River valley. Wasting water because you think the state wastes even more is foolish logic.

Wasting water, to me, is turning the tap on and leaving it run - without doing anything with it.

Letting a leak persist is wasting water.

Using water to do work is not wasting water - it's doing something useful. I kick up less dust over the course of a year of cleaning my driveway (works out to be probably six times in a year) than the street sweeper does in one pass in front of my home.

Which is more conducive to respiratory health? I don't consider that a waste of water. I've mentioned my wife's issues - we also had her emphysemic/asthmatic mother living with us for ten years before she kicked off (which drove me quite insane...) and there are a number of other elderly people and children in our neighbourhood. I don't spray them with water when I'm cleaning, but I've explained to the people who ask why I do it the way I do, and I get understanding about it.

I'd use a pressure washer to reduce the volume needed, if I had one. I do have a 1/4" pressure nozzle for the end of the hose to increase efficiency and reduce volume of flow, so that's still a good step forward. Now, how about the City takes a step forward to meet me in the middle?

The logic you used in your initial post sounded like you were essentially saying you wasting water is no biggie because the state does worse.

Don't mind me, living where there is no water has made me touchy about water...:D

The logic you used in your initial post sounded like you were essentially saying you wasting water is no biggie because the state does worse.

Don't mind me, living where there is no water has made me touchy about water...:D

Hey - I've been to deserts as well...

But, I don't see it as "wasting" water when I'm trying to do work with the water, but the water can be reclaimed and reused - but is not.

The water we're drinking now is the same water that everyone else has been drinking since the Earth cooled and the dinosaurs called it quits - either we filter and purify it manually, or the Earth will distill and recondense it for us (just much more slowly.)

I consider availability of water to be a key logistical factor in population support - but, there's no reason why we can't set up to use local water over and over (I don't liken the SF Bay Area to Los Angeles - they get most of their water from Arizona, and generally run - what - 18-24 hours away from drought at any given time? For that an other reasons, the City of Angels - logistically - simply should not exist.

(New Orleans is in a similar condition, because they're below sea level. Yes, I know Holland is also below sea level - but they've learned to work with it on their own and have reclaimed the country. New Orleans is an alluvial plain that depends on a river that has been trying to move for the last hundred years or so, and gets wiped out with major Gulf storms. That wouldn't be so bad, but they can't do anything to start bailing themselves out if/when it happens.)

"Wasting" the water occurs when the water isn't reclaimed for reuse - instead, it's just dumped into, say, the Bay (and then they're complaining about "wrecking the balance of salt marshlands." How about more than just the individual try thinking somewhere past the end of their collective nose for a change? The wastewater issue we had with the Wabash back home got readily solved when we told factories that their inlet had to be downstream of the wastewater outlet - the problem suddenly became self-correcting.)

I'm not about to "go native" and live like the Fremen, but I firmly believe that conservation is not strictly the province of citizens' action - government has to do its part as well, as do public utilities and industry.

but my point is why would you need a smog exempt vehicle to do a motor swap if you were going to abide by the law? If you weren't breaking any laws you wouldnt need a smog exempt vehicle as it is perfectly legal to swap a newer more powerful motor into an older vehicle as long as it has the proper smog equipment from the donor vehicle. And technically if you swap a motor from a 91 mustang into a 74 bronco, you need to bring it to the smog ref to be inspected, and you'll now have to smog it as a 91 mustang forever.
I'm really just busting your balls because i know you like to do the same when people post up about illegal mods. I personally think it's all BS anyways, aside from the sniffer test. Clean air is the only thing that matters IMO, who cares what road we take to get that the end result. The rest is bureaucratic BS.

Amen. My afore mentioned 80 CJ7 with the 94 LT1 swapped in failed due to bureaucracy. I performed the swap before living in California, and it failed because it had a modified ECU, the fans were on a toggle switch, it was missing the smog pump, and it had two cats (instead of one...the Camaro the engine came out of had a 2 into 1 exhaust with 1 cat). BUT it blew NOTHING on the sniffer. Zeros across the board. The ref even joked with me, that all I had to do was fix this stuff without worrying about getting it to run right. Thanks, bro.

I think on older cars, if it passes the sniffer, it's good to go. I see so many older cars belching smoke that should be sidelined, but my cleaner CJ wasn't allowed in Cali because the ref didn't like what he saw. How about a smog law that just cuts down the bureaucracy?

Amen. My afore mentioned 80 CJ7 with the 94 LT1 swapped in failed due to bureaucracy. I performed the swap before living in California, and it failed because it had a modified ECU, the fans were on a toggle switch, it was missing the smog pump, and it had two cats (instead of one...the Camaro the engine came out of had a 2 into 1 exhaust with 1 cat). BUT it blew NOTHING on the sniffer. Zeros across the board. The ref even joked with me, that all I had to do was fix this stuff without worrying about getting it to run right. Thanks, bro.

I think on older cars, if it passes the sniffer, it's good to go. I see so many older cars belching smoke that should be sidelined, but my cleaner CJ wasn't allowed in Cali because the ref didn't like what he saw. How about a smog law that just cuts down the bureaucracy?

Sniffer only and ditch the visual? I'm all for that as well!

Sniffer only and ditch the visual? I'm all for that as well!

Seriously. Isn't the tailpipe emission all anyone should care about? I've never understood these insane visual inspections. I had a car fail for a non-carb approved homebuilt air intake. WTF does it have to do with emissions?

Seriously. Isn't the tailpipe emission all anyone should care about? I've never understood these insane visual inspections. I had a car fail for a non-carb approved homebuilt air intake. WTF does it have to do with emissions?

It's all about money. It goes even further. Let's say you are a company that builds Catalytic Converters. You do everything right, build it to spec, get it approved, pay your EO fee, and bingo! You have a CARB-Approved catalytic converter that you can sell in the state of California.

Now, take that EXACT cat, re-brand it with a different name or even part number, and suddenly it violates the CARB spec and is illegal to sell in the state. Keep in mind, the only thing that physically changed was the part # stamping on the case.

Also, no matter what the CAT does, or how good it flows, it is illegal to market it as doing anything other than meeting the manufacturers OEM specifications.

CARB is all-powerful. And it will become the national standard, sooner than later. CARB is already the governing body for emissions inspections in at least 14 other states besides California. That's a scary thought, when you think about it for a bit...

Damn, now I'm going to have to hurry up and sell my 73 Chevy C-10 before this passes

Back