• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oregon trying to ban aftermarket exhaust sales

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
This came to me in email through my SEMA membership...

If you're a Jeeper who thinks your 4.0 needs to breathe better, you may want to voice your concerns.

Oregon Introduces Bill to Ban the Sale of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

A bill (H.B. 3214) to ban the sale of certain new motor vehicle exhaust systems or exhaust system components that cause motor vehicles to produce noise that exceeds noise limits has been introduced by Oregon State Representative Phil Barnhart ([email protected]). Under the bill, noise limits would be specified in rules adopted by the Environmental Quality Commission (DEQ). However, in 1991 the DEQ terminated its noise control program. The bill has not yet been assigned to a committee for consideration.

We Urge You to Contact Representative Phil Barnhart (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request That He Withdraw H.B. 3214

• H.B. 3214 would prohibit the sale of these exhaust systems in Oregon. The bill would also prohibit the sale of these systems by an Oregon-based business to an out-of-state customer.

• H.B. 3214 provides no clear standard to enforce, and refers to DEQ noise standards that are not currently in use. The bill could allow DEQ to resurrect its noise control program or create a new and unspecified standard.

• H.B. 3214 makes no accommodation for SEMA model legislation to allow vehicle hobbyists to buy and install aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test (SAE J1169).

• H.B. 3214 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

• H.B. 3214 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

• H.B. 3214 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact Oregon State Representative Phil Barnhart immediately by phone or e-mail to request that he withdraw H.B. 3214.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Representative Phil Barnhart
[email protected]
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1411

To pass a B.C. provincial inspection, The vehicles exhaust must not be louder or larger than stock. Our inspection facility was just told we need to order a decibal meter and new regs to follow

I'm not necessarily against banning exhausts that are ridiculously loud, which this bill seems to be trying to accomplish; unless I misread it?

I'm not necessarily against banning exhausts that are ridiculously loud, which this bill seems to be trying to accomplish; unless I misread it?
How does an annoyingly loud exhaust system in oregon bother you, in Tennessee.. Exactly?

Just askin':wave:

After reading more, I don't think the bill is such a big deal. They only want to ban the sales of exhausts that exceed the noise limits already in effect.

The actual bill:

Relating to noise control; and declaring an emergency.

Be It Enacted by the People of the State of Oregon:

SECTION 1. A person may not sell or offer for sale in this state any new motor vehicle

exhaust system or new motor vehicle exhaust system component that will cause a motor

vehicle to produce propulsion noise that exceeds the noise limits specified in rules adopted

by the Environmental Quality Commission.

SECTION 2. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, section 1 of this 2011

Act becomes operative on January 1, 2012.

(2) The Environmental Quality Commission may adopt rules before the operative date

specified in subsection (1) of this section, or take any other action before the operative date

specified in subsection (1) of this section, that is necessary to implement, on or after the

operative date specified in subsection (1) of this section, section 1 of this 2011 Act.

SECTION 3. This 2011 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public

peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2011 Act takes effect

on its passage.

Well, when it comes to some jacked up truck that's running just a loud exhaust and it's blowing my eardrums out, I don't mind.

I think they should work on them F-ing blue head lights next. I hate them things with a passion. They do not look or perform anything like a real oem HID.

Dave

Im a biker and am running stright pipes, There loud but not that it hurts kinnda loud. I just think its all BS. We should be able to run what ever muffler we want but there should be a strong law about just running stright pipes on cars and trucks. Its just to loud.

But really we have no say in it. Look they keep shuting down our OHV areas in the Mt. Hood area and we really dont have a say in it even tho we show up to the hearings they still shut it down or ban it.

Thats just my 2 cents. I know im !!!1.

I think anything over 95 decibles is a little annoying you can make all the preformance you need under 95 decibles. Look I use to ride and I understand that motorcycles want to be heard i get it. But when a motorcycle goes by and you need to cover your ears because its as loud as a fire truck that is not acceptable. You may say Im old and thats true however I never had a car with straight pipes and all my motorcycles where under 95 decibles with they exception of my Fiances quad and we only ride it on our own property. And it probably just over with the silencer in. I also agree with those stupid blue lights. Wait I better check mine I think my H-3s maybe blue they came in a kit.

Back