• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

posi-lockers

greengoose

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into putting in a lunchbox locker into my 29 spline 8.25 currently open case rearend and wanted some input on what is a decent one for under $300....any ideas? I need it in within a month for a trail run!

thanks for the input!!! :banghead:

Its gonna be hard with only a $300 budget. Since you have a 29 spline axle the Powertrax Lockright is not available and neither is the Aussie Locker. Looks like your best bet is a Powertrax No Slip. They can be had for about $380 - $400. It will be slightly more quality that the others listed.

I'll give my thumbs up for the No-Slip.
I've been running mine for a couple of months now. Road manners are pretty good, Locks up well off road. Hard to beat for the $.

thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Somewhere down the road I'm thinking of upgrading to ford 9" rearend and D44 front when it's no longer my DD and I can put 35's on it with 4.56 or 4.88 gears and a TeraLow upgrade to the t-case.

hippymill said:
look around. I recently picked up a brand new detroit for my chryco 8.25 for $300 on ebay.

X2 Just my .02. The no-slips are expensive for being a lunchbox, although they perform as advertised. I put a used EZ-locker in and it didn't work. I put a new EZ-locker in and I'm waiting for that to be warranteed. A used Detroit is atractive. It isn't a hard install, and you know you should have no unexpected problems. You will easily be able to get money out of it if you go to different axles.

Yes, but that is jumping into a whole new league of lockers. From the sounds of it he wanted a easy install. If he has never installed a new carrier I wouldnt consider it a easy install.

holeshot said:
Yes, but that is jumping into a whole new league of lockers. From the sounds of it he wanted a easy install. If he has never installed a new carrier I wouldnt consider it a easy install.

True enough. It isn't a slap in kinda thing like a lunchbox.

I've had an auburn pro in my 98's 8.25 for going on two years now. Thing works for me. Price was around $350 and the neat part is it replaces the carrier and when/if I put those 4.10's in there I don't have to change it, the auburn case works for all gear sizes that are available for the 8.25...

RichP said:
I've had an auburn pro in my 98's 8.25 for going on two years now. Thing works for me. Price was around $350 and the neat part is it replaces the carrier and when/if I put those 4.10's in there I don't have to change it, the auburn case works for all gear sizes that are available for the 8.25...
Close,but not right!The 8.25 does have a carrier break,just not anything that effects an XJ!

RCP Phx said:
Close,but not right!The 8.25 does have a carrier break,just not anything that effects an XJ!

Read what I wrote, the auburn pro LSD will take any size gears that are made for the 8.25 , the Auburn replaces the carrier. :laugh:

Timber said:
Rich, do you have a part number? I can't find an Auburn Pro series to go with the 8.25.
It will have to wait till I get home, the box is out in the shed with my old carrier in it...

Totally understand. Did you do the installation yourself? If it involves removing the ring gear and playing with the adjusters, it may be over my head at this point.

I had it done, I would hesitate doing it myself after seeing/helping the shop I took it too mostly because it's been too long and not often enough. If you don't change gears then it's not a big deal. I just had no idea how the 8.25 came apart. You will need a dial indicator, the adjustments are made by turning the threaded adjusters under the caps, he used a 4ft piece of electical conduit with a bolt welded on to match the size of the adjusters. It also took some grinding of the case in about the 2 O'clock position to get the auburn case to fit. One note if you try it yourself, the ring gear bolts are reverse thread, they let me struggle for about 10 min before they took pity on me :D but it's something you won't forget when you learn it that way.. I think the shop, Performance Driveline, charged me $450 total and that included new bearings and seals with the installation. Well worth it,

great info, I'm leaning towards a powertrax no slip still, I don't wanna get into the gears as that's over my ability too. Now I just have to scrape together the cash. If, in the future I find some chromoly axles, I wanna run 35's or maybe a bit bigger. Will everything handle the extra meat?

didn't wanna create a new thread, so I just thought i'd update this one

Right now i'm running 35x12.5" BFG ATs, 4.56 gearing, AW4 tranny among other things. The rear of my Jeep is the 29 spline 8.25 axle (this is a 99 XJ btw).

Would the powertrax be the best daily driveable locker out there for the 8.25? Or should I go with something like a Detroit (and why?) due to my tire size?

hippymill said:
look around. I recently picked up a brand new detroit for my chryco 8.25 for $300 on ebay.
Yeah , but you have to reset the gears and that will get spendy. A backyard mechanic could do it, but chances of it lasting are very slim. There is a lot more to it then just setting the backlash.

Last edited:
So does that mean these lunchbox lockers are designed to wear out? Or just that they will do to their design? For almost $400 I would hope not...

Anyone know if the Electrac locker is available for Dana 35's? I wonder how they compare to Auburns ECTED. Thoughts?

Back