• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

portal axles

the hummer uses an independant suspension with a reverse rotating drivetrain from what we're used to, you'd have to swap in everything from the tcase to the independant susp.

:guitar: Alot of tractors.. some of them dont even have u-joints, just gears and shaflts. Though this would probably kill streetability, off road it would be rockin. IMO :guitar:

that would be one hell of a build and i would absolutely want to see pictures. my only idea was hummer stuff, but that's already been mentioned and i don't know that much about em

whitneyj said:
the hummer uses an independant suspension with a reverse rotating drivetrain from what we're used to, you'd have to swap in everything from the tcase to the independant susp.

Or put them on LP ford 9's that have been flipped.

jmop said:
Or put them on LP ford 9's that have been flipped.
The thing about this swap... is that hummers are not exactly known for wheel travel.. sure they would hold up to huge tires and give wicked ground clearance.. but when you take into consideration oh how much work it would be, and the fact that your neighbors wifes toyota camry has more wheel travel..:twak:

Akers87 said:
and how much do they roughly go for?
I got quoted:

"The 5.99 ratio Volvo portals are $4500 a pair (front and rear) plus shipping. Custom Beadlocks in your choice of color and backspacing are $330 ea plus shipping. Volvo axles weigh around 300 lb ea.

The biggest issue for your XJ is that the front diff is drivers side while the Volvo portal front diff is passenger side. You'd need to swap to a difference Xfercase like an Atlas or D300 to make it work. You can use an Ox Locker cable or similar to activate the locker in each axle."

Here's the way to go, IMO:

http://www.portal-tek.com/

-----Matt-----

This is just dead sexy. 9" gears, C303 portals, best components, etc...

GalleryImage_37.jpg

-----Matt-----

Am I mistaken, or doesn't the H1 use a resurrected AMC Model 20 axle (early years) then a GM 14-bolt for the rear - and an IFS front? I didn't the H1 was equipped with Portals.

I could be wrong - it's happened before. My first thought was for the Moggie, then I rememebered it was a Volvo axle - so it's a cinch that Volvo would have had something using the thing...

IXNAYXJ said:
Also...what? Both Mercedes and Volvo build totally different portal axles for use in their own products.

-----Matt-----

1) Thank you. I do recall reading that the AMC20 was resurrected for use by AMGeneral, but now I'm not sure where.

2) Thanks again. I didn't know there were two versions. Everytime I see a specific Portal called out anywhere, it's been a "Volvo Portal" or "Volvo 303 Portal," or somesuch.

I'll have to work on that some more - once I get something going with AAM, Arvin-Meritor, Ford, GM, and Chrysler...

5-90 said:
1) Thank you. I do recall reading that the AMC20 was resurrected for use by AMGeneral, but now I'm not sure where.

2) Thanks again. I didn't know there were two versions. Everytime I see a specific Portal called out anywhere, it's been a "Volvo Portal" or "Volvo 303 Portal," or somesuch.

I'll have to work on that some more - once I get something going with AAM, Arvin-Meritor, Ford, GM, and Chrysler...

Yes military hummers use Amc20 cenersections with indeendent suspension and then portal boxes n the wheels. (When AM did that electric hummer they just plugged motors into each of the portal boxes)

h2 get a 14b rear (like a suburban with macho body work.

volvo definitely built cool trucks ver the axles. a little googling should find some really great pics of the millitary trucks they came off. Mostly called c303. volvo straight six. seats about twelve, goes highway speeds get reasonable mileage. unless you really needed the three point hitch is way more practical than a 404 unimog.

5-90 said:
Am I mistaken, or doesn't the H1 use a resurrected AMC Model 20 axle (early years) then a GM 14-bolt for the rear - and an IFS front? I didn't the H1 was equipped with Portals.

I could be wrong - it's happened before. My first thought was for the Moggie, then I rememebered it was a Volvo axle - so it's a cinch that Volvo would have had something using the thing...

The H1 is independant all the way around, but I guess you COULD call it a "portal" independant because it Does use gear reduction at the hub, and the axle does go in above the center of the wheel.

Straight from Portal-tek

Every axle setup will include the following:

• Wilwood disc brakes (rotor, caliper, and pads)
  • Drive plate or hub assembly
  • 8 lug hub assembly
  • Loaded Portal-Tek portal boxes
  • Axle shafts
  • Custom built CV Shafts or U-Joints
  • Custom width Spider Trax 3 1/2" housings
  • Center section (Ring and pinon gears, bearings and seals)
  • Dana 60 outer hub
  • King Pin style high mount steering setup
  • Drive Plates
Standard axle setups will include the following options:
  • 4340 axle and stub shafts
  • 4340 CV Shaft or U-Joint Option
  • 4 Piston Wilwood brakes
Standard Axle Pricing: MSRP-- Front Axle : $7,200
Rear Axle: $6,100
Extreme Axle Pricing: MSRP-- Front Axle: $8,800
Rear Axle: $7,700
Extreme axle setups will include the following options:
  • 300M axle and stub shafts
  • 300M CV shafts or CTM/300M U-joints
  • Differential skid plates
  • Wilwood Big Brake Option or Dual Calipers
  • Other Custom options included
*A customer number and axle serial number will be attached to every axle order. These numbers will give Portal-Tek the specific information needed, so replacement parts can be shipped within 24 hours of notification. Portal-Tek axles are a custom designed axle set to meet the individual needs of every customer. Portal-Tek axles are designed for off-road use only.

Locker options: (not included in axle pricing)
  • ARB Front Locker: $890.00
  • ARB Rear Locker: $890.00
  • ARB Compressor Large: $250.00 Small: $175.00
  • Detroit Locker (per axle): $550.00
  • Tru Trac Locker: (per axle): $500.00
Central Tire Inflation: $2,000
Suspension Mounts: Call for details
Lug pattern: 5x5.5, 6x5.5: $800

Back