• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning 1st Off Road Trip in over 18 years

Hugothegrunt

NAXJA Forum User
So thanks to Skully, he got the 4wheelin itch in me goin really good. On Monday I'm lookin at taking my 98 XJ out for the first time, and it will be the first time for me in over 18 years, and the first time for my wife and kids. So..yeah I'm pretty much a total noob. I wanted to find an easy trail(s) that would have some wounderful scenery so I can get the wife pumped about 4wheeling, and easy enough for me to cut my teeth, and not exceed my limits as the driver or the capabilities of my XJ, yet challenging enough to be fun, and not boared to tears. I konw I'm probably asking a lot.

I picked up the "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles Wells, and found plenty to pick from, however I did not realize that there is a "Guide to Northern Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" that would be really handy since I live in Longmont and wanted to find sowhere close to home. So going with what I have, I picked Peru Creek as a nice start with senic views and cool old mines for the kids and wife to see, then I thought of continuing south to Webster Pass and Handcart Gulch to pop out on Hwy 285, a co-worker said I should take Guanella Pass while I'm out that way, so I figure I could take that back north to link up with I-70 and back home. However this is starting to look like a 9-12 hour round trip, might be a bit long for the kids.

I would like to invite anyone who could make it Monday to join, and if they are familiar with something closer to Longmont that would be fun, challanging, but within the capabilities of my XJ and myself, I'm open to suggestions. If not we will plan on Peru Creek and play it by ear on the rest as we see how much time it takes and how the kids are holding up. Either way my wife and me would love to meet some of the members if you can make it, and have a good time.

I would also love some info on the trails I have selected, I know alot of you know these routes like the back of your hand, I would like to know about the sections of Webster Pass that intersect with Red Cone, how difficult are these areas? The "Guide" dose not say anything about if the difficulty of Red Cone "overflows" onto Webster, and anyone been up there recently to tell me if the repaired Bog area (the log area) is in good condition?

A little about my XJ: Stock 4.0, Stock D30, Stock 8.25, Stock NP231, No oil pan skid, Trans Skid, No gas tank Skid, Diff covers, 6" RC lift with custom LA, 33" tires with rims that have no back spacing (they rub before I hit the steering stop), no recovery point on the front (other than the stock bumper, and I don't trust that), but one hell of a cool/stout rear bumper.

Hugothegrunt said:
So thanks to Skully, he got the 4wheelin itch in me goin really good. On Monday I'm lookin at taking my 98 XJ out for the first time, and it will be the first time for me in over 18 years, and the first time for my wife and kids. So..yeah I'm pretty much a total noob. I wanted to find an easy trail(s) that would have some wounderful scenery so I can get the wife pumped about 4wheeling, and easy enough for me to cut my teeth, and not exceed my limits as the driver or the capabilities of my XJ, yet challenging enough to be fun, and not boared to tears. I konw I'm probably asking a lot.

Wow...........didn't know I could inspire anyone :)

This year I haven't been out as much as I have wanted. Finally took my boy (9 months) to Middle Saint Vrain (5) /Coney Flats (6) in July and he enjoyed it, but fell asleep half way through and the wife was worried about his little neck as he was moving all over the place. (My mother in law is making a neck brace for future use.) My wife also likes to go into the mountains and wheel and camp.

Check out http://www.traildamage.com and look for trails in the boulder area and close by. They rate them 1-10, 10 being the hardest, (which I have put in little brackets behind every trail I listed in this post) and there are plenty that are 3-4 that you can cut your teeth with. I have also used the Charles books, but I find that trail changes and closers, the book does not reflect these changes. The both have trails not listed in either media, so you can cross check and find different ones. Another resource is http://www.4x4trails.net/ which also has a lot of trails listed the others don't.

My personal suggestions;

Bill Moore (4) is easy to run as long as you do not take Mill Creek (5) or get to Bill Moore by way of Red Elephant (6) if you want to keep it simple for now. Run all the way to the Lake and back no probs from Empire.

Magnolia Rd. (3) & Rollins Pass East (2) both of these are off of 119 out of Rollinsville and great scenic areas.

Pole Hill (4) closer to Longmonth north area.

There is one in either the Charles books or 4x4trails.net by the name of Devils canyon (2) south of Idaho Springs up towards Mt. Evans.

These are just a few and not too far away from Longmont.

I wish I could do something on Monday, but Monday through Friday I am pretending to be busy at work. :greensmok

There is the possbility of the Eagle Rock(7) in the springs depending on which date wins in the vote :)

If I can't make it to the Springs, I am going to go the weekend of the 20th somewhere closer or the following weekend. I will let you know.

BTW your rig is already pretty capable................... Did you have gears done or are you running 33's with stock gearing?

Last edited:
Thank Skully I'll check them out.

Saxon is a good newb trail:
Well travelled, you will see someone sooner or later.
Full-size friendly with enough rocks in the road to let your axles walk.
Shelf roads, a couple tight spots, a little water, a little mining history.
Picnic table and fire pits at the summit.
Expect to see all kinds of weather this time of year...
I think you're a little late for the fresh raspberries.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=125

Here is a page from a recent clean-up/maintenance run: http://www.rmftc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5237&page=3

When you get back, let us know if the Aspen are turning.

Saxon_9-23013.jpg

I was looking at that one as well, depending when we get up there, we may just do Peru Creek and then over to Saxton for an easy day, or do what was described above and if we can fit it in we'll add Saxton.

We'll definitely take photo's and I'll give you the aspen report when we get back, that sucks about the razberries, havent had fresh wild raz'es in years.

Still looking for anyone who wants to kill a day and tag along.

Skully said:
Wow...........didn't know I could inspire anyone :)

BTW your rig is already pretty capable................... Did you have gears done or are you running 33's with stock gearing?

It did'nt take much did it.:laugh:

I'm running stock gears.

Sweet pic's, I really enjoyed that, I just hope I don't have a large rock in my way, like you did, that would suck.

Hugothegrunt said:
Sweet pic's, I really enjoyed that, I just hope I don't have a large rock in my way, like you did, that would suck.

........Oh ya take Hypoid's suggestion not mine, I see, didn't inspire you there did I.................. :D

With the lift & tires you have you shouldn't worry too much about that. I would suggest later on getting rockers guards......................see there I am again:eeks1:

With 33's and I assume an auto with 3.55's those hills must pass by slooooooooooowly...............................that should be on your list of upgrades............4.56 gears.

:D Hey! you inspired me to get off my a$$ and get out there:twak: . The wife got hyped about Peru Creek when I showed it to her last night, so we're going that way this trip but I did snoop around the links you provided, and will definitely be hitting some of those trails in the near future. Thanks for the info BTW. If you go soon let me know, I might be able to get a weekend day off to come play (my days off are Mon/Tue). So keep me in mind.

On another note, I needed to put on a missing shock (bought it without the driver side rear shock, I got a new pair for the rear months ago and kept forgetting to put them on when I did'nt have honey-do's), crawled under and noticed that they sent me the wrong shocks, the cross tab thing that you bolt to the underside of the body is on the wrong end and is turned 90 deg from how it should be, then I noticed that the holes for the bolts to thread into under there are stripped and the sheet metal around one of the holes is ripped out...any idea how to repair this?:helpme:

Then I needed to grease the LA bushings (my Jeep sounds like Troy's in your video, creeekkk, creeekkk.) pull out my grease gun and it won't push any grease out, I open it to make sure there is grease, and it is full..WTF... I discovered that the plunger plate(?:dunno: ) broke from the rod that pushes the grease up..F#*&$^# chineese Cr^&:gonnablow . So on the way out tomorrow I'll pick up a new grease gun and grease everything.

O.K I'm done playing with the smilies.

Oh yeah, the 4.56 are at the top of the list, with steering upgrade.

Here is the trail report for Peru Creek.

While it was cold and raining along the Front Range on Monday, Up above Georgetown the weather broke and it became a beutiful sunny, warm day. We took Hwy 6 over the top of Loveland Pass and it was gorgeous up there. then we refuled in Keystone and headed south to Montezuma on Montezuma Road, just before you reach the town of Montezuma the road makes a sharp turn left and you will see a parking area on the left that is the start of the Peru Creek Trail. The trail is very easy, in fact at the end of it we saw a Honda Minivan that made it without difficulty.

The beginning of the trail.
S6300839.jpg

It is a very scenic drive.

About half way along the trail on the left you will see a trail that crosses Peru Creek, you half to cut through a camp site to take it and that trail is Warden Gulch, we did not take it this trip. Just a hair further on the right is the Chihuahua Gulch Jeep Road that heads north to Grays and Torreys Peak.

As you continue along Peru Creek on the right you will see the waterfall coming down from Brittle Silver Mountain.
S6300849.jpg

Further along you will see the remains of Pennsylvania Mine.
S6300858.jpg

And up the mountain you will see another mine that the "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles Wells describes as the "Photogenic Mine on hilside above Cinnamon Gulch" Photo on page 196.
S6300860.jpg

As you travel alongyou come to the turnoff for Cinnamon Gulch on the right, cross Peru Creek.
S6300886.jpg

Then you come to a fork, take the left and you will come to another fork, (not sure where the right goes, but you will get pinstripped if you follow it), the left is a hard turn up a steep, loose, rocky road and will get you to the "Photogenic Mine" (the wife got scared and we did not go up it.) back at the first fork, if you go right you will have to go down a small "Dip" with a mud puddle at the bottom.
S6300892.jpg

andthis will get you right in front of the Pennsylvania Mine.
S6300895.jpg

A fun area to explore, but be carefull!

Me and the family
S6300902.jpg

Continue along Peru Creek Trail and you come to Shoe Basin Mine, at the bottom left you can see the gate. The rest of the trail was closed, The "Guide" states that "the road above Shoe Basin Mine is under consideration by the Forest Service for permanent closure to motor vehicles", looks like they closed it.
S6300870.jpg

S6300869.jpg

Just before you reach the Shoe Basin Mine there is an old cabin, this used to be the parking area described in the "Guide" the parking area has been moved to the other side of the road.
S6300867.jpg

There were a few wild flowers still around, but the Aspens have not started turning colors yet, sorry to say.
S6300906.jpg

All in all, it was a great trip, very beautiful, worth while even if it was not a challenge, lots of cool old mines to see, the kids had fun climbing the rocks and investigating the flowers and bugs, and playing on the creek edge.

We continued along to the town of Montezuma and following the "Guide" direction we were headed for the Webster Pass/Handcart Gulch trail. We got into the town and where the pavement ends the "Guide says there is a public restroom as a landmark.
S6300911.jpg

well it did not seem to be in service when we went by (no doors) unless you like to be in the middle of town and doing your bussiness in front of everybody.
S6300870.jpg

We reset the odometer and followed the "Guide" to where it says to make a left for Webster Pass, well between my larger tires and stock gear ratio, my odometer is not accurate, so I found a left close to the odometer reading and i looked up the trail and saw a house, signs that said "Private Property" and an address on a tree, but no sign stating that this was Wedster Pass trail, so we contiuned, came across a dirtbiker and asked him if we were on Webster or Deer Creek and he said it was both and to keep going and follow the signs, we went further and found an 18-wheeler (how the hell he got down that trail I'll never know) unloading sheetrock and 2x4's, we asked him, he said "hell I dont know, Some fool decided to build a house up this on top of this hill and I'm suspose to deliver all this crap to him". So on we went, the road got very rocky and started to become a little tricky to drive on, but not unpassable, we came across a group of 3 dirtbikers and asked them if we were on Webster Pass or Deer Creek and they asured me we were headed to Webster, but warned me not to take Radical Hill, I told them that I dont want to take Radical Hill and was tring to by-pass it to get to Webster, again the told me I was heading the right way. Further along we came across 2 guys in a new 2-door Rubicon and asked them the same question, because nothing was matching up to the description in the "Guide", me and the wife were both commenting that this must be Deer Creek, and my Daughter is telling us how the rough ride is making her sick, and my son is going "WEEEEEE!" all the way, but not having any luck finding a good place to turn around we pressed foward. The 2 guys tell us that we missed our turn off for Webster and are heading for Raical Hill, they just came off of Radical and said it was a challenge, but the way my rig looked I shouldnt have any problems, I told them that what they don't see is the lack of skids and stock gearing with no lockers, the driver said " then I think you should'nt go on Radical Hill", he did tell us that there was a good place to turn around up about 1/4 mile on the first switchback. We turned around and headed bact to Montezuma and saw the sign for Webster Pass come from the other way, my son felll asleep after we turned around (I missed him going WEEEEE! it gave me come confidence) my daughter never did throw up and it was late so we went home.

Some more pic that would not fit on the previous post.

I screwed up on the directions to Warden Gulch and Chihuahua Gulch Jeep Trail, It should be: Right to Warden and Left to Chihuahua.

S6300910.jpg

S6300899.jpg

S6300865.jpg

S6300855.jpg

S6300852.jpg

Let my 4 year old daughter drive (just kidding)
S6300889.jpg

Great report, thanks for the follow-up!

You might have skeered the Mrs, but at least you got your tires wet. LOL

I think our unplanned side trip down Deer Creek Trail got her over being scared, so we will probably get up to that other mine next time, and she want to drive (Oh Lord, LOL).

I was looking for the Raz'es but never found any, bummed me out.

Something close to Longmont and an easy trail is Pierson Park Rd / Trail 119.

Starts from County Road 47 just past Pinewood Springs off of Hwy 36, and ends at Meeker Park on Peak to Peak Hwy 7.

From there you can go on to Estes Park or back down to Lyons. 2.5 hours total time max from Longmont.

Hopefully my XJ will be out of the shop on Friday and I would be available on Monday.
I'll let you know.

Mike
Mead, CO

Hugothegrunt said:
I think our unplanned side trip down Deer Creek Trail got her over being scared, so we will probably get up to that other mine next time, and she want to drive (Oh Lord, LOL).

That looked pretty up there. Let her drive...... :greensmok ..I mean what could happen? :rof:

My wife loves to go camping and wheeling but I try to get her to drive, she claims to be happy as a co-pilot/spotter for now.

Good report there Hugo, love the pics. It sucks getting lost or not finding the ride path, I find that all too often.

It would be cool if you didn't have to work on the weekend, could take on more trips. Not a lot of people get to wheel during the week :cry:

I was smiling when you mentioned your boy going weeeeee! Mine at MSV/Coney Flats just laughed all the way up to top and fell a sleep after lunch. Then on the way down every time I stopped he would wake up. Like the rocking back and forth was comforting to him?

Hopefull will be able to get to wheel in a group! :wave1:

xjnco said:
Hopefully my XJ will be out of the shop on Friday and I would be available on Monday.
I'll let you know.

Mike
Mead, CO

That sounds like a plan, but I won't know for sure till probably Sunday, got 2 people coming to look at buying my other XJ, but they may flake out on me, won't know till later. PM me when you know Mike.

Skully said:
That looked pretty up there. Let her drive...... :greensmok ..I mean what could happen? :rof:

My wife loves to go camping and wheeling but I try to get her to drive, she claims to be happy as a co-pilot/spotter for now.

Good report there Hugo, love the pics. It sucks getting lost or not finding the ride path, I find that all too often.

It would be cool if you didn't have to work on the weekend, could take on more trips. Not a lot of people get to wheel during the week :cry:

I was smiling when you mentioned your boy going weeeeee! Mine at MSV/Coney Flats just laughed all the way up to top and fell a sleep after lunch. Then on the way down every time I stopped he would wake up. Like the rocking back and forth was comforting to him?

Hopefull will be able to get to wheel in a group! :wave1:

I'm pretty supportive of her wanting to get into my hobbies, in fact now we are looking at getting her an XJ (I know I just stated that I'm selling my other one, but she wants an Auto and that one is a Stick, plus she wants a custom color so we are looking at a White one to repaint) and of course she wants it built, she is no longer satisfied with riding shotgun.

My boy really enjoyed the trip but I'll have to work on my daughter, my wife was joking with her yesterday and asked her if daddy should call in sick to work so we could go 4 wheelin and she cried "NOOOOO! I dont wanna go 4 wheelin! :rattle:

Next spring when we have our bid at work I'm gonna try to get Fridays and Saturdays off just so I can start wheelin with the groups, by then hopfully my rig will be equiped so I can start taking on the more difficult trails and not worry so much, and maybe the wife will be in hers.:clap:

Back