• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pictures of your Waggy front axle brackets?

everything we miged to the cast (that had any stress) broke off or cracked after several rides. We preheated and used nickle rod and have had zero problems since...

BIGWOODY said:
everything we miged to the cast (that had any stress) broke off or cracked after several rides. We preheated and used nickle rod and have had zero problems since...

What's your method for pre-heating, and how much heat? I'm just imagining how I could fit my axle housing into the shop oven.... :p

BIGWOODY said:
Don't quit your day job...

Well, I can at least hope you'll take me seriously? I'm not that horrible of a welder... if I'm going to weld something to cast, however, I'd like to do it right. My understanding is that to properly weld to cast, the proper rod must be selected (something with a high carbon content, nickel rod), and the weld must either be not allowed to overheat (short welds, lots of breaks), or must be pre-heated (preferrably), and allowed to cool slowly to avoid cracks. I'm just wondering what others do for pre-heating... I mean, are you using a torch? Or is it super top-secret non-doable by joe average because it requires some kind of special equipment? I can't seem to find anything with google that says anything more than "pre-heat". What kind of temp range are you heating it to?

NotMatt said:
Well, I can at least hope you'll take me seriously? I'm not that horrible of a welder... if I'm going to weld something to cast, however, I'd like to do it right. My understanding is that to properly weld to cast, the proper rod must be selected (something with a high carbon content, nickel rod), and the weld must either be not allowed to overheat (short welds, lots of breaks), or must be pre-heated (preferrably), and allowed to cool slowly to avoid cracks. I'm just wondering what others do for pre-heating... I mean, are you using a torch? Or is it super top-secret non-doable by joe average because it requires some kind of special equipment? I can't seem to find anything with google that says anything more than "pre-heat". What kind of temp range are you heating it to?

Torch with a rosebud tip, stitch weld, post-heat evenly, stitch weld, post heat again.

You are trying to achieve even heating and cooling so that the dissimilar metals are not fighting each other thermally.

Nickel rod has a lot more elasticity than typical MIG wire, which makes it much easier to deal with. You don't need to be near as careful with your pre and post heat. I have a TIG and MIG, but don't have a stick welder, so I go with what I've got!

CRASH

Back