• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PB blaster is overrated

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
PB blaster is overrated (n)

I've been wrenching on my own rigs for about 12 years now. During that time I've had plenty of stuck/frozen/rusted bolts that have refused to budge. I've heard about the wonders of PB blaster, but honestly - it has really failed to amaze me. If a bolt is really stuck - BP blaster just can't get down into the threads. I will call anyone a liar to their face if you tell me it can.

Rant-off. :D

Call me a
madliar.gif

the stuff worked wonders on my 87's. Removing the control arm bolts with out PB was a PIA sprayed a lil on it and piece of cake afterwards... Although any penetrating oil may have done the same I just have more luck with PB Blaster.

I was always a sceptical guy on the wonders of PB...until I brought home my new Jeep from Chicago.

It's the only thing I have ever seen that has the ability to work the crap out of a seized up spring bolt and bushing.

I use model aircraft fuel. 2,000 times better than PB and doesn't smell as bad.

You sir, are a heretic:twak: (but, I feel your pain. Everything rusts in Ohio).

Have you ever tried Kroil? That and Dawn Direct Foam takes me start to finish.

Every time I use it and soak the bolt a for a while it always works, never break a bolt. When I was changing my wheel hubs I had some really rusted in bolts and PB seemed to save them. Id loosen the bolt a few threads, spray PB then tighten the bolt to help work it into the threads. The constant tighten, spray, loosen you could feel each time it got easier.

Also Ive never seen a better hand cleaner than PB blaster! I happend to have a catch rag full of PB over spray. My hands were just nasty grease covered, I picked up the rag and suddenly my hand was clean! I tested this with a small shot of PB on my other hand. The grease and grim just washes off like nothing.

cal said:
I use model aircraft fuel. 2,000 times better than PB and doesn't smell as bad.

Is that the stuff that contains mostly nitro?

alex22 said:
Is that the stuff that contains mostly nitro?

I dunno, I go into whatever hobby shop I can find and buy model airplane fuel, sometimes its labeled as 'white fuel'.

I had a dirtbike carb with the slide stuck sometime aroudn 1991 and couldnt get it out. The head of maintenance for a big oceanspray plant popped into my dads shop while we were messing with it and tipped me off to the whole white gas thing, and it worked wonders. I'm still using it.

iwannadie said:
"...Id loosen the bolt a few threads, spray PB then tighten the bolt to help work it into the threads...."

There are some bolts that will not turn at all.
PB blaster will NOT go down the treads.

Y'all are LIARS! So there! :D

RTicUL8 said:
There are some bolts that will not turn at all.
PB blaster will NOT go down the treads.

Y'all are LIARS! So there!

Again, before I found PB blaster I broke tons of bolts. Now using PB I havent broken a single one. I still saturate the bolts before even trying to break them loose. I have no Idea how much works into the threads at that point, but it seems to work for me sofar.

If its all a waste and doesnt work Im out like 10 bucks sofar on PB blaster over the last year. If it worked just once and saved me from snapping a bolt, its been worth it....

I didnt read through all this, but if your not a PB fan (and I'm not) I use AERO KROIL. pretty much same Idea and I feel it does work. Some bolts just cant be broken free, but on those that can and just need a little coaxing, kroil is the stuff

IntrepidXJ said:
heat works the best :)

Heat + PB works even better.Heating after/while spraying allows the PB to work its way down to the into threads.Just don't use excessive heat or it will burn/boil away the PB.

Last edited:
Ive been meaning to get a torch, what is the best kind for this sorta use? Are those butane torches like in the plumbing section the way to go?

I LOVE the PB Blaster i wish i had a PB sticker to put on my jeep. it was the most important part of installing my lift.

Heat and wax also works very well. If you are trying to remove a bolt from something solid then hit the head of the bolt with a hammer a few times to "shock" the threads and break some of the rust and dirt. After you do that any penetrant will find its way into the threads easier and faster. "Shocking" the threads works great on manifold studs and bolts as well as the 3 bolts that hold the unit bearing to the knuckle. When I did mine I used a combonation of heat, shocking and PB blaster and they came out fairly easy.

~Alex

Back