• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating is not solved

AJsArmor said:
I think it's incredibly STUPID of all car manufacturers not to have a transmission temp gauge as standard equipment. Otherwise a lot of people, including qualified mechanics will chase what they think is a cooling problem for weeks when in fact it's the transmission that is the culprit. Install a trans temp gauge, they're cheap and worth every penny. I'd also disconnect it from the radiator, run it on it's own cooler to take the load off the radiator.

I just don't even know were to start on this reply.
--------------------------------------------------------------
mechanics will chase what they think is a cooling problem for weeks when in fact it's the transmission that is the culprit.
----------------------------------------------------------------
You must know some piss poor mec then

--------------------------------------------------------
think it's incredibly STUPID of all car manufacturers not to have a transmission temp gauge as standard equipment.
----------------------------------------------------------

Half the people on here don't know how to intrepid the water temp gauge!
God put a trany gauge in and there little brains would melt down long before there trany would. Trying to process all this extra information.
Few people even look at the gauges until some dummy light tells them they are FXXKED. So just to get out there wallet and hand it and there first born male child over.
FACT: A good stock rad in front of a GOOD running engine is more rad than 99.99% of you will ever need.
FACT 99.99 of the aux trany cooler are not needed, poorly placed and sometimes even hinder the total cooling of the engine/trany.
I could go on and on and on.
Please band me please.

badron said:
Please band me please.

smileyband.gif
:party:

Your welcome

Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
Okay now that made me laugh out load. I know what you mean. Before I owned an XJ I never paid any mind to gauges. Now I can't go a tenth of a mile without looking there. :laugh3:

Going to check mine today to see if it's a head gasket leak or not. If it's not a leaky HG. then I'm going modine or CFS. But something got to change, because my 3 row GDI has been very disapointing.

Daryl
ONLY- I will have a new CSF for sale cheap pretty soon. NIB.

PM me if interested.

Fergie

PS- I'd go Modine

Robs,

I had a similar mysterious overheating problem with my 88 Cherokee 4.0 L. The car was still under warranty and I took it back to the car dealer who pressure tested the coolant system and found nothing wrong. I checked the coolant for oil, etc. but could find no indications of a leaking head gasket. Then one very hot day, I saw a very small puff of white smoke come out of the exhaust which only lasted momentarily. I took it back to the dealer that same hot day, and sure enough they finally found an intermittant head gasket leak. Apparently, when it got hot enough the coolant pressure would lift the head slightly to vaporize some coolant and then the head would reseal itself. The head was acting like a relief valve that would blow off some coolant and then reseal. This was really wierd. Anyway the solution was to remove the head, resurface it, replace it with new gaskets and the problem went away. Thankfully, the dealer had to make this repair. You may have the same problem.

When I do head jobs, I like to use the old hot rodders trick of using aluminum paint (stove pipe paint). I clean the head and block surfaces and then start spraying the surfaces with GumOut and wiping them clean with paper towels. I keep doing this until the paper towel stays clean. Then I know the surfaces are clean. I then coat the head, block, and gasket with about three coats of aluminum paint. After the paint dries, I assemble the head to the block and torque it down. I fire the engine and bring it up to operating temperature and then shut it down. Then I retorque the heads and they stayed torqued.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Best regards,

CJR

Back