• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead architecture...

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. Im still trying to get my jeep ready for wheeling. Since CB's are a good idea, and a lot of places require them, Im messing around with mounting ideas. Its a pretty big cb...but I still want to try to mount it overhead. My question is this... I dont want to have to pull my headliner down to find this out, so what does the "bracketry" look like under there where the overhead console would go? I basically need to know what kind of metal I have to build a bracket off of. Maybe a picture with some circles of approximate locations of brackets or something? Also...can anyone show/tell me what the brackets for the overhead console look like? I think I saw some mopar part numbers for them, but I couldnt find them again. Thanks for any help...just another one of those small projects that is halfway done.

Justin

I currently have my headliner out(relining it), and i'll be happy to email you some pics as soon as my dad gets back from hunting with the digital camera. Untill then hopefully someone else has some pics.
Dusty

Dusty,
Hey that would be awsome! I was going to try to take one side of my interior plastics down and get a peak up through there. But if you can send me some pics, Ill atleast know if its even worth trying! Let me know when you get your camera... my email is [email protected] Thanks a lot!

Chris L,
Thats pretty much what Im looking to do. However my CB is really big...probably bigger than it needs to be...but its the one I used to run in my other cars so Im gonna try it. It fits between the visor mounts, and I could probably make a bracket like that work, but its still pretty heavy. So I might need something towards the front also. I was actually thinking about making my own custom overhead console. I saw a post where someone made a frame for his. Sort of like two rails going from the visors to the overhead light. Something like that...but I have some different ideas. When I build it, I want it to be expandable. In other words I might mount my GPS up there, or a scanner or something else along those lines.

Thanks for the input! Keep it coming!

Justin

Overhead there is little more than the exterior sheetmetal. You have reinforced (2-ply with 1/2 inch in between) in front where the sun shades bolt in, and you have a similar patch behind your head where the light is.
IMHO you should take some thin sheet metal and put a piece between them running down the center where you want the radio to be. it'll give you enough to bolt to without going through the roof, and a safe chase for the wires. 24 ga should do... whatever the parts store has for fixing floorboards or whatever.. not too thick. its just to bolt to.

Thats probably what I will do. I wasnt sure if there were any other spots inbetween the visors and the overhead light to mount off of. Im still thinking about buiding the frame....but Im really getting the itch to head out to some off road meets, so Ill probably just do the sheet metal thing until I have more time to mess with it.

Ide still appreciate those pics tho if you still want to send them! Thanks again for that...

Good ideas! Im going to try to knock it out this weekend, but keep the ideas coming if anyone has anymore.

Justin

Back