• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!!!!!!!!!

jeep_zj93

NAXJA Forum User
URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Oregon Reintroduces Bill to Limit Suspension/Tire Alterations
A bill (H.B. 3147) has been introduced in the Oregon legislature that would severely limit vehicle suspension, body lift and wheel/tire alterations. Specifically, H.B. 3147 would ban vehicles whose bumpers are elevated more than 3 inches over the original manufactured bumper clearance. Identical legislation was last introduced in Oregon in 2001.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Oregon House Committee on Transportation and Economic Development (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 3147

· H.B. 3147 would ban reasonably altered vehicles due to overstated concerns with bumper mismatch.

· H.B. 3147 discriminates against hobbyists and aftermarket parts makers by leaving it solely to the vehicle manufacturers to choose bumper heights.

· H.B. 3147 would force owners of modified vehicles to spend large sums of money to reinstall original components.

· H.B. 3147 would ban useful alterations that provide adequate clearance for on/off road capability and accommodate heavy loads, larger tires, improved suspension and water-fording capability.

· H.B. 3147 would impose a fine of up to $360 per offense for vehicles that exceed the 3 inch clearance requirement.

DON’T DELAY! This bill tramples on the rights of 4x4 vehicle enthusiasts in Oregon. Please contact members of the House Committee on Transportation and Economic Development immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 3417.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Oregon House Committee on Transportation and Economic Development

Representative Cliff Bentz - Co-Chair
Phone: 503/986-1460
Email: [email protected]

Representative Tobias Read - Co-Chair
Phone: 503/986-1427

Representative E. Terry Beyer - Co-Vice Chair
Phone: 503/986-1412

Representative Patrick Sheehan - Co-Vice Chair
Phone: 503/986-1451

Representative Shawn Lindsay
Phone: 503/986-1430

Representative Nancy Nathanson
Phone: 503/986-1413

Representative Jefferson Smith
Phone: 503/986-1447

Representative Jim Weidner
Phone: 503/986-1424

This is a BS law. Every one please send letters and do every thing you can to stop this from passing.

Has anyone heard anything more about this. Why is it these nit wit elected officals keep dreaming up other ways to hurt our sport and kill they economy. I wonder if they realize how much money offroading brings in. I for one would hate to have to trailer my Jeep to a trail head half the fun is driving down the road with a group of freinds.
If its not the tree huggers its the politicians cant they stick with finding new ways to rip off the middle class.

RESOLVED

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)
Oregon Bill to Limit Suspension/Tire Alterations Dies
A SAN-opposed bill (H.B. 3147) that would have severely limited vehicle suspension, body lift and wheel/tire alterations died without committee consideration. Specifically, H.B. 3147 sought to ban vehicles whose bumpers were elevated more than 3 inches over the original manufactured bumper clearance. Among other things, the bill discriminated against hobbyists by leaving it solely to the vehicle manufacturers to choose bumper heights. The bill also would have forced owners of modified vehicles to spend large sums of money to reinstall original components and would have banned useful alterations that provide adequate clearance for on/off road capability and accommodate heavy loads, larger tires, improved suspension and water-fording capability. Finally, the measure provided for a fine of up to $360 per offense for vehicles that exceed the 3 inch clearance requirement.
Thank you and congratulations to all who participated in opposing this bill.

:party:party1::clap: It was nothing but :bs:in the first place that they would even try or think of something like this.

Do we know who introduced this bill? People who introduce BS bills like this and waste peoples time don't need to be in our government

Instead of pissing and moaning about every legistlation that is brought up by people you guys should probably consider why it was put forward and keep these in mind before you rant and rave about how stupid it may or may not be.

I have been off roading for longer than many of you have even had licenses. In all sorts of vehicles all over the country.

I completely understand why a consistent bumper height law makes complete sense. I used to own an Excursion on 40's and to say that in an accident anyone in front or behind me was safe is completely rediculous. The reality is that big jacked up vehicles are usually not as safe as stock ones, their bumper heights are more dangerous than if they were stock, they throw mud and rocks off of the tires and do more damage to other vehicles and they are more difficult to see around in traffic. I don't want there to be laws restricting the modifications I make to my vehicles but I DO understand why others feel differently and I should consider how my actions DO affect others.

Just some thoughts.
Michael

Instead of pissing and moaning about every legistlation that is brought up by people you guys should probably consider why it was put forward and keep these in mind before you rant and rave about how stupid it may or may not be.

I have been off roading for longer than many of you have even had licenses. In all sorts of vehicles all over the country.

I completely understand why a consistent bumper height law makes complete sense. I used to own an Excursion on 40's and to say that in an accident anyone in front or behind me was safe is completely rediculous. The reality is that big jacked up vehicles are usually not as safe as stock ones, their bumper heights are more dangerous than if they were stock, they throw mud and rocks off of the tires and do more damage to other vehicles and they are more difficult to see around in traffic. I don't want there to be laws restricting the modifications I make to my vehicles but I DO understand why others feel differently and I should consider how my actions DO affect others.

Just some thoughts.
Michael

this is what i was waiting for. i like to put shoes on both feet befor i start running. im glad it was shot down. but i do see the point. and it is a good one

thx michael
Bronze.

I have to agree with Michael, after my small accident with the moron in the BMW, IF someone would have been in the rear seat of his car, they would have more than likely been injured due to the height of my bumper.

I see both sides, but I am glad it was shot down. As time goes on, these types of bills will continue to come up and eventually they will be passed.(n)

Just some thoughts.
Michael
I knew there was something missing around here. The voice of reason - Thank you sir.

I agree but lets take care of the elderly drivers and Drunk drivers first they kill more people that anyone else. You have a valid point, however there are common sense ways around knee jerk reactions like this. Like mud flaps and removable bumpers, so if we do get in an accident we wont decapitate someone. The problem is these bills are enacted by people who know zero about fixing the problem. Like lets make sure know one lifts there vehilces at all. Also you maybe older than me Ive been driving cars for 27 years and driving them hard for 24

Thats all I was saying. I think they have valid points. I dont want anyone to get killed, for the joy of my sport and trust me it happens

Just some thoughts.
Michael

Last edited:
Oh sure let's just put all kinds of restrictions and laws against what you as a citizen can and can't do with your own property.
We've already allowed seatbelt requirments on adults along with helmets on motorcycles and useing your cell phone while driving (though there is no law against eating or grooming while driving) . If you all need to be told what to do and how and when to do it by the gov. Then move to Russia.

Don't get me wrong. I think there should be restrictions on what we allow underage drivers to do. But not adults. Let's see... murder is illegal because it robbs another of their life. Burglary is illegal because it robbs someone of their security, property and papers. Ya lifts should be illegal because the act itself does no harm to anyone. ..... makes a lot of sence doesn't it... bills like this are truely ment to control the people not make them safer. And pollotitions will continue trying to pass controling laws over and over again until enough idiots vote on it without realizing they are giving up their right of choice and freedoms. Pay attention....... they will reword the bill and attatch it to an education stimulous package or public works package. And the sheeple with pass it then complain about it but write it off with a "oh well there's nothing we can do about it now" attitude. And nothing will ever change.

Well there's my rant....

here's my rant.. If everyone drove an excursion on 40s then this would not be an issue..

Am i thinking a little out of the box to say it should be required to have a bigger vehicle if you take your kids in it? seat belts? Remember the days when your station wagon could flat out SCREW a big rigs day up? I think we've all gone too soft.. More steel less plastic!

There is no trophy for 2nd. place at least there didn't used to be. You know what? with all thats involved with cars its funny how the laws of supply and demand do not apply. cheaper building materials and less waste = more expensive cars??? just like gas. dozens of oil producers & billions of cars = higher gas prices????? Just like the frickin' cells phones... Kids driving while texting and not paying attention = everyone not being able to touch their phone while driving. And so this crap about bumper height must be, Moron not paying attention to their driving crashes into the lifted truck in front of them and hits it so hard the rear bumper is in their windshield. and not wanting to take full responsibility for their actions point out that the other guys bumper was so tall that more damage was done to his beamer that normal and so it must be the other guys fault too. BUIISH!T!! DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT,PAY ATTENTION, AND SPOT SNIVELING LIKE A BITCH......Or so I would imagine.

See I told you this was going to get entertaining, Aaron are you arguing with yourself:moon: LOL

no I'm not. I'm yelling at the guy that was going to post but decided not too, and it's making me look crazy...... Hey anyone got any skittles? I love skittles!!

here's my rant.. If everyone drove an excursion on 40s then this would not be an issue..

Am i thinking a little out of the box to say it should be required to have a bigger vehicle if you take your kids in it? seat belts? Remember the days when your station wagon could flat out SCREW a big rigs day up? I think we've all gone too soft.. More steel less plastic!

I am in fact old enough to remember when a big block was an option in most American cars, and wagons weighed more that SUVs. My buddy in high school drove a 454 4spd chevy wagon. There where more that a few heads being scratched when he left a stop light grabbing 3rd and leaving 2 nice big black marks on the ashalt. :D

Back