• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu Taiwan junk warning.

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
OME 2.5" rear springs with two full lenght OME leafs added in with proper bumpstops and they bent all up after one season. What a disapointment when you think you are buying the good stuff. The 2.5" Dakar springs came from Taiwan and are junk. A 5lb hand sledge was all that was needed to straighten the leafs. I just added a slightly thicker leaf along the axel pearch to reduce wrap and stiffen them up so maybe they will hold for a while. Is all their crap is Taiwan junk now? Steer clear of the Dakar springs from OME.

:cry:

i got a 3 inch ome lift...

am i f-d?

When I ordered my OME leafs from DPG Offroad I was told that the set I got was the last set they had that were built in Australia. This was back in Nov 2006. They were being outsourced at that point and the quality was kind of hit and miss.

As much as I love my OME that I have I am not sure if I would buy any of the new stuff. Sorry you had bad luck. :(

No problems with mine so far, same springs and aal combo as you stump since last spring but I know your rig is a good bit taller. Got blocks? They are also almost half the retail cost as the pre outsourced springs used to be, I was told once by an ARB sales rep that they were made to the exact same specs. Warranty expired on yours already?

xjblue said:
No problems with mine so far, same springs and aal combo as you stump since last spring but I know your rig is a good bit taller. Got blocks?
The larger 8.8 tubes and Dana 60 spring perches from ruff stuff have a similar effect I'm sure. I use JKS shackles also that are longer. 4:88 gears and sticky tires can't help either. The Dakar line from OME is Tiawan. As far as it being the same quality it's not. The steel has hardly any spring to it and thats why I could beat the arch back in it so easy. I've said befor that if you don't search out and buy the best stuff in this sport then you won't be happy. I thought I was buying the best when I went with an OME 2.5" spring with one of their full length leafs added in. They sagged a little right away and I put in a second full leaf. I just added a 17" leaf to the bottom and it sits right again but its got 3 extra leafs in it now. The leafs that bent were the bottom two so thats why I added a thick leaf to the bottom. I wonder why the retarded dork moderator moved this out of modified tech and put it over here?

:bawl: i was hoping this was a really early April Fools prank...

well, i'm glad i read this before I ordered another OME AAL...I may have to rethink my whole suspension now. I've NEVER had any problems with mine, but now i'm paranoid...

Thanks Stump!

I deal with just about all the different off-road lift kit Manufactures, and it is all becoming crap! It all looks good, the Chinese can definitely make a product look great, but the materials suck. It is going to come down to buying parts from places like National Spring, Deaver etc..Its a shame.

I just got some RE stuff installed. No complaints yet, but then I've only had most of it in for about a week now, and no off-roading til the SYE is in. The RE coils I have have been in there for about 3-4 months now, and they've been great so far. Stiff rate to hold it up good on the stret, but flex like mad off road...

Stumpalump said:
I wonder why the retarded dork moderator moved this out of modified tech and put it over here?
Because trashing a manufacturer has nothing to do with tech, modified or otherwise.

You want to state an opinion on something, do it in off topic. You want to ask a technical question, do it in tech.

Would it kill you to stop insulting people? Don't turn me from a supporter to an enemy.

JNickel101 said:
:bawl: i was hoping this was a really early April Fools prank...

well, i'm glad i read this before I ordered another OME AAL...I may have to rethink my whole suspension now. I've NEVER had any problems with mine, but now i'm paranoid...

Thanks Stump!
The two OME AAL's are what saved my main spring. They are a great way to add a leaf because they sister the mains full length. The main spring you don't want to bend or stress to much. Mine bent on the bottom so I'd put an extra slightly thicker leaf in that position also. It may be better to just add a leaf from a junker so at least you will be sure you are using genuine spring steel. The last coil springs I bought were from Deaver. They are tits. I will hammer the rear leafs I have untill they fail again and go with them. I used to baby them especially from a standing start climb because thats when leafs wrap the most. It's too bad the exhaust and cat make it hard to fit an anti-wrap traction bar on an XJ.

approx. $600 for deaver spring packs vs $300 for OME's havn't checked against pricing of others, You have a point about getting what you pay for. Still I'm happy with my Dakar's like I said, running shackles with them too for a good level 3.5" measured lift. If you are not past 24 months or 25,000 miles since installation and have your purchase info you should call ARB-USA about the warranty if you havn't already.

RedHeep said:
Because trashing a manufacturer has nothing to do with tech, modified or otherwise.

You want to state an opinion on something, do it in off topic. You want to ask a technical question, do it in tech.

Would it kill you to stop insulting people? Don't turn me from a supporter to an enemy.

I think the post could be borderline. But insulting a moderator like that is just not cool. If you do not agree... you do not agree. Be a man about it and try to be civil.

As to the content, if stump is correct, that is sad for OME. I have used them in the past on my old ZJ, and was very pleased. Sorry to hear that they are going backwards.

Glenn B said:
I think the post could be borderline. But insulting a moderator like that is just not cool. If you do not agree... you do not agree. Be a man about it and try to be civil.

As to the content, if stump is correct, that is sad for OME. I have used them in the past on my old ZJ, and was very pleased. Sorry to hear that they are going backwards.
x2

:D

It is a bummer about all the products. I really think sometimes us as consumers keep pushing for cheap products and now we get crap, and now that we are use to the cheap stuff we look at company's like deaver and think man they are expensive! but are they really. My price with Deaver has been the same for 5 years. I just don't buy it more unless its the good stuff, For me I will do without until I can afford it. My motto is I rather cry once, than cry every time my crap breaks.

My OME Dakar springs were made in Australia, I bought them in Feb 06'. Great springs, I've beat them severly, over flexed, towed way too much on them, and carry too much junk in my rig with absolutely NO SAG!

I hate to hear their quality has gone down hill, they may want to reconsider going off-shore for their springs.

Yeah, a company like OME is known for their high-quality and that high price is a result of the quality. Its kinda like Cadillac trying to win new buyers with the Cimarron and more recently Catera. People know Cadillacs to be good cars and pay the higher price for what they're getting. Then you buy a cheap Cadillac (Cimarron) and its a piece of crap. Now the name goes down the tubes...or make the same comparison of Jeeps and off-road capability. Tough and capable, but rough on the street. Now with the Compass, it's smoother but there's no capabilty and its got no toughness...

i got the 3" HD packs and i dk if i am right but mine look tweaked... :smsoap:

ill have to look into this tomarrow morning in the light.

What can i do if it really is bent? had the kit on since thanksgiving...

Back