• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure

rabbit

NAXJA Forum User
hi i have 88 Cherokee and well the oil pressure seems to be low when at a idle it is on first line and well when driving it goes up but when you come to a stop it drops back down any ideas ?? and yes i did check the oil and it reads ok on the dip stick

thanks

rabbit said:
hi i have 88 Cherokee and well the oil pressure seems to be low when at a idle it is on first line and well when driving it goes up but when you come to a stop it drops back down any ideas ?? and yes i did check the oil and it reads ok on the dip stick

thanks

how much of a variance do you have, how quickly does the needle move? my oil pressure tends to take a few dips here and there. my thoughts: when you first start the jeep (cold) the pressure will probably be a little higher than normal because the oil needs to warm up and bit and get moving. After the warm up it should simmer down a bit, and at idle might drop a little simply because you are at idling RPM's. but again these should be pretty small variances.if you have violent changes in needle position, it could just be an oil pressure sensor.

HTH -Ed

How about giving us some pound readings?? Like; "It reads 40 lbs. when at speed but drops to 20 lbs. when idling" :huh:

FSM states while warmed up to op temp, 13-15 psi at idle. about 40-50 while driving normally.

Back