• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure problem

lowkey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 cherokee with a 4.0 and auto trans with just over 60k (very regular oil changes). Last night leaving work I look at my cluster to see the oil pressure guage pegged on 80psi. I was doing about 55 in overdrive at about 2200RPM. I pulled over and at idle I was still at like 65psi. First time I have ever seen this. After I drove it home (had no choice) the running pressure went down to about 70 psi and idle was about 40-45. Any one have any ideas? I am hopping it is just the sender and not a blockage.

scottmcneal said:
check the wires to make sure there good. If they are then get a new sender

That would be my thoughts as well. Put a mechanical guage where the sending unit is threaded to see if those readings were false. Then go from there.

Thanks guys will try that on thursday.

Have you all ever heard of this before on one of theses engines.

I have a total of 5 XJ's in the family and mine has the least amount of miles and abuse and i have had the most amount of problems with it. (some my fault, tree)

lowkey said:
Thanks guys will try that on thursday.

Have you all ever heard of this before on one of theses engines.

I have a total of 5 XJ's in the family and mine has the least amount of miles and abuse and i have had the most amount of problems with it. (some my fault, tree)

In fact I have heard of that before but I can;t remember the cause. I thought it was on another forum and I checked(searched) all of them without any luck. Not sure but I think it was a bad ground or a wire grounded out.
BTW do not put any teflon tape on the threads of the sending unit when you re-install it because it gets its ground through those threads and teflon tape is an insulator.

lowkey said:
I have a 99 cherokee with a 4.0 and auto trans with just over 60k (very regular oil changes). Last night leaving work I look at my cluster to see the oil pressure guage pegged on 80psi. I was doing about 55 in overdrive at about 2200RPM. I pulled over and at idle I was still at like 65psi. First time I have ever seen this. After I drove it home (had no choice) the running pressure went down to about 70 psi and idle was about 40-45. Any one have any ideas? I am hopping it is just the sender and not a blockage.

The sender goes bad,

Take the connector off and clean the contacts with brakekleen.

You will have to replace it eventually.

It cost about $50.00.

Back