• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil heater/cooler and remote filter mount install.

I must say sir you have went further with this venture than I would have dreamed of on my XJ, but very nice work indeed.

I do have a small amount of experience with remote filters (run duel remote ones) and bringing oil up to operating temps (AN Line to small Heat Exchanger in Exhaust Down Pipe from Turbo) before WOT. Monitored by my Fast FI/Turbo Controller for open close temps along with all other control. Engine 381 ci. Dart SBC Dart Block & Heads, Fast FI., Twin Turbo Air to Water Inter-cooled, Dyno 1587 HP Race tune 120oct, 659 HP Street tune with 91oct.

I'm an "Old F^RT" 67 and still like to play the Wagons a sleeper a "Outlaw Street" if you will, runs on Drag Radials and through he mufflers (DR. Gas X-Pipe & Spin Tech Mufflers). If you look close enough you may be able to see the Handicapped Plate's on it.

In this app it was necessary to do this as I needed all temps and boost psi to be ready when I came to starting line. Once bumped in had no time to waste due to the need for ice cold water being pumped into the inter-coolers for max power and repeatable of run.

Do you feel the $ and labor you invested were worth the return you will get, or more or less a labor of love like many of us have with our cars and Jeeps :cheers:

Last edited:
The heat exchanger has been functional for about a week now. I used two Dayco 80402 hoses. They are 5/8" ID, with a 90* bend and a straight 18" piece after that. Of course they had to be trimmed. The tee fittings are angled 30* rearward. The tees were from: http://coldhose.com/specialty-fittings/heater-hose-fittings.html. One had a reducer bushing installed as mentioned above.

Temps are roughly 20+* warmer at given time. I'm going to do some more logging and post some more numbers later. Of course temp will also vary based on ambient. To get to this point total cost is $116(heat exchanger, tees, bushing, hose, and clamps). So far I am happy with the outcome.

Just a few quick numbers for now:
Code:
[b]Before[/b]
Ambient: 	83	
Time	Coolant	Oil
0	80	73
6	200	107
11	210	163
15	210	178

[b]After[/b]
Ambient: 	84	
Time	Coolant	Oil	
0	80	79
6	195	143
11	209	180
15	210	204

DSC_0667.JPG

DSC_0676.JPG

DSC_0681.JPG

I know I'm tired, so could you let me know what I need to do this mod on an 87 Renix (with SAE filter adapter mod). What parts do I need? Can I do this without AN fittings, just to keep it within local auto parts supplies? I'm just not sure how the filter mounts to the heat exchanger. If I could mount the heat exchanger to my filter fitting, then run my heater hose to the exchanger, without AN fittings, that would be great.

Thanks Talyn!

After reading everything again, could you not just use cooler 4792912AE on top of your factory filter mount, then have the filter on top of that? Like the Hesco unit?

I'm glad you went back and read the thread. Yes, you can just install the oil heat exchanger behind the stock filter mount and install the filter behind that. That is how it is currently. I'm going with the remote mount oil filter in the future for a few reasons. 1) Getting to the oil filter is now a pain. But my engine bay probably isn't like yours. I also have a Viper coil and oil catch can located in the vicinity. 2) I want to use a larger filter and with the heat exchanger I won't have room. I'm going with one significantly larger than stock. 3) Once the remove filter adapter is attached to the back of the heat exchanger there will be less of a chance for leaks and the filter will not be spunb on and off the heat exchanger.

The heat exchanger will stay in that location. I had though about moving it to the remote filter mount but since I went with a different size remote mount that isn't an option.

To get this far I have:
1 x heat exchanger: 4792912AE
2 x 5/8" x 3/4" tee fittings: #H1953 http://coldhose.com/specialty-fittings/heater-hose-fittings.html
1 x improvised reducer bushing from lowes.
2 x Dayco 80402 hoses
4 x hose clamps for 5/8" hose
4 x hose clamps for 3/4" hose

Thank you Talyn. I can't see where your filter is in the photo. Your filter is horizontal, correct? Mine is vertical, so I would have more room than you? I have also installed a coolant filter, which is Teed into the heater hose coming off the thermostat.
Would you foresee any issues with taping off the same hose for the line to the heat exchanger? Finally, is not the Mopar heat exchanger a better way to go vs.the Hesco? It appears in photos to be well engineered, and I'm not sure of the quality of the Hesco unit.

Thank you. Your attention to detail and workmanship is an inspiration!

Yes, my filter is horizontal. I don't know if you need more room or not for it since yours is vertical. No problem teeing in to the filter line. Hesco's is quite expensive. Also, I do not know who makes it. I'm not taking a chance with something like this. I know that the Mopar one is made by Dana/Long.

Talyn,

One last request on this. Does the heat exchanger come with bolt? And how does it mount to the existing filter base? Do you remove the old filter bolt and then have a larger bolt that runs through the heat exchanger into the factory mount?

Thanks Chris.

Yes, that funky bolt comes with the heat exchanger. That was one of the deciding factors in my decision to go with it. You remove the filter, clean up the mess, put a bit of oil on the gasket and install it. They say to torque the bolt to 40 ft/lbs but I thought that was a bit much. I went with 30 ft/lbs and some high strength loctite. I don't want that coming loose.

If the hose fittings pointed straight up it would have been like it was meant for the 4.0L.

Cool. I found one on eBay for $61 shipped. If I have any questions when I get it it I'll post them up. Seems to be straight forward. I thought the heat exchanger might screw onto the factory bolt, and I didn't know it I would have enough clearance to screw the exchanger on.

Thank you!

Greg

What a great mod! Thank you Talyn for your research and detailed documentation.

I just installed the heat exchanger, not the remote filter adapter to my 87. I had already converted from metric to SAE, so this was an easy bolt on. There is no problem mounting the larger Wix 50515 filter.

I don't have the ability to provide data such as Talyn's; I can offer some IR gun readings. With ambient temp of 85*, within 5miles of town driving, and maybe 3 traffic lights, the thermostat housing was 204*, the exterior of the filter and the heat exchanger were 198*. My oil pressure was showing about 29 on the factory gauge. This is about normal hot idle, maybe a tad high, but never has hot idle been reached this fast.

This is my DD, and my commute is only about 10 miles city, so I really feel this will be very beneficial in faster warm ups, and maybe better mileages and less wear.

Thanks again Talyn!

I'll just through this out there, but at the end of my 10 mile commute, vacuum reading is up 1-1.5" hg at idle(17" hg). Piston ring expansion due to higher temps?

Interesting. Could be, but the cylinder walls are cooled mostly by coolant.. but the pistons are cooled by oil... It could also due to atmospheric conditions.

I had mine out on the highway for about an hour drive Friday and the oil stayed right around 215*. Previously I have seen temps around 240* on the highway, but that is still well with in range of the oil.

As was said earlier, for a DD, I think the main advantage is faster warm up. I'll see if this equates into better gas mileage. There are really so many variables and they are impossible to control in these conditions. I do know the warm up is much faster, which is a good thing.
L

As was said earlier, for a DD, I think the main advantage is faster warm up.
Yes, this is the main reason I did this.
I'll see if this equates into better gas mileage.
I'm more concerned with less engine wear.. lol

Back