• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil change

Blaine B. said:
I vote for a sticky on that information.

But I have a question - why is it best to change the oil when it's hot? Is it because contaminants don't have time to settle after just being stirred up and such?

Yes, the crap is still in suspension, how soon you change it after running is strictly based on your resistance to pain and/or manual dexterity....

One other suggestion. After I put the oil catch can under the filter, I loosen the filter just enough to spin it by hand. Then I take a plastic shopping bag and place it over the filter and spin the filter the rest of the way off. Remember, the oil filter will have oil in it that will splatter everywhere when you take it off. The bag will catch most of it, the rest will trickle into the catch pan. Just my 2cents worth. Good luck!

I usually just let the oil filter drip as much as possible indo the container while it is still threaded on. Then i flip it vertical and let it drain into the container......then I just pull it up and throw it away.

Just remember to put the drain plug back in....Dont want to have six quarts of nice new $$$$ oil on the garage floor, as you wonder why your shoes are getting all wet. You might not be a total stud then :roll:

Before I begin, I also get a couple of bricks to drive my front wheels up onto, the extra couple of inches beneath the jeep makes crawling around a lot easier.

I throw down a huge piece of cardboard, to catch stray drops of oil. any bike shop will give you old boxes.

latex exam gloves are really worth having.

Follow up:

Thanks to all for the great advice.:worship:
Everything went smoothly for me, had a little trouble getting the oil cap off, but I let it cool and it eventually gave in. One thing I would change would to use a wrench and not a socket. I was upside down and turned around and had a bit of a problem finding which way I needed to turn the nut. Oh, well I have figgured that one out.
I figgured I just saved 30 bucks by doing the oil change myself.:cheers:

My Girlfriend thinks I am "very manly" because I just changed my own oil.

One problem I do have now is that my brother (00xj), my mom (01xj) and my dad (04wj) all need me to change their oil. Oh well........

Thanks again

xjadam

if your girl thinks you are "manly" cause you did an oil change,what is she going to think of someone like me that does engine swaps?:)

In the case of your brother, one word BARTER :D I also did not notice the other part of the oil change 'greasing', oil change is not done till it's been lubed...so you are about half way there...

RichP said:
.. I also did not notice the other part of the oil change 'greasing', oil change is not done till it's been lubed...so you are about half way there...

Rich;
We now need a detailed step-by-step on the greasing part like you outlined for the "oil change" part.:D

Back