• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Official planning thread!

Jeff, there are some big trees near Yosemite Valley. Tuolumne Grove is about a mile hike in from HWY120 and there are quite a few big ones spread around. Not nearly as many as Sequoia Park or McKinley Grove near Dinkey Creek but you'll be able to see some good specemins.

Jes

Well, I'm back. I thought I had things pretty well planned out so I could go on this trip and even got a campsite reserved in Yosemite for Monday Aug. 23 yesterday (that was quite difficult!) However, I was also informed yesterday evening that my wife wants me to go to an event with her Sat. Aug. 14th. :( So, even though I REALLY wanted to do Fordyce (even have that snorkel to test out!) I may try to do her thing as well as most of my thing. That would mean driving from WI Sunday a third of the way, Monday a second third of the way, and Tuesday making it to Spider lake late in the day. What I would like to know is what kind of obstacles will I encounter on the Rubicon between the start and camp at Spider lake? Will I have to negotiate some really rough stuff or is that after Spider? Is the little sluice box before Spider? Is it that bad? Is the True Big Sluice after Spider lake?

Then, after Barrett Lakes Trail I plan to camp someplace between there and Yosemite. Travel into Yosemite Monday, spend the night there, and travel south to a camp near Swamp Lake Trail on Tuesday. Wed. I am thinking I could run into Swamp Lake and camp. Thursday I could travel out of Swamp and travel a bit further south before camping for the night. Friday, work further south and east to camp near Johnsondale. Saturday I would drive over to Death Valley and camp the night half way through. Sunday I would finish the drive from Death Valley to the interstate and try to make it all the way into Colorado. Monday I would make it to Omaha. Tuesday I would make it home.

So, anybody up for Swamp Lake Wed/Thu the 25/26th? Anybody have any thoughts on these plans? Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, you are a driving fool..... :)

I don'y know what you're overall goal is for sure, all I can do is give you some thoughts. You're plan coming into Yosemite is good. That's a nice drive south on Hwy 49, and it's not a long drive into Yosemite. A friend and I did that drive the opposite direction a few years ago. We did Swamp one weekend, hung around Dinkey Creek a day, then took two days to drive up Hwy 49 to the Rubicon. There are a couple of interesting cities you'll go through on the way, we camped in Columbia where they have a nice section of the old town that has been restored. Swamp Lake trail could be anti-climatic after running and camping on Rubicon and Barrett Lake, but it is a pretty trail and the campsite at the lake is very nice. Swamp Lake trail is long, much longer than Rubicon or Barrett, but in one rig you can easily do it in a day. I know you're thinking that if you're all the way out here, and it could be a very long time before you're ever back, you might as well get in another trail. As far as going through Johnsondale or going through Bakersfield and then up through Kern River Canyon on your way over to the desert, we can talk about that the week before on the 'Con.

I think you would be making a mistake if you didn't spend a day or two in the Long Valley area (mono lake to mammoth essentially). Some of California's most spectacular geology (and scenery of course) is in that area. You can see mono lake, devils post pile, some of the oldest trees in the world ( http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/home.html ) relax in hot springs, see volcanic formations gallore, go fishing or hunt for calcite crystals at convict lake, the list goes on!

California's geology is what makes it special ya know! :D

http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/index.html

http://lvo.wr.usgs.gov/gallery/MapGallery.html

Sweeet.

EDIT: Ohyeah, take your silver jewelry off before you go in the hot springs :doh:

Last edited:
Oh and what about the coast!?! Have you seen the pacific ocean!?! You gotta stay for a month!

pigeon_pt_w.jpg

Hell Basalt, I'll be lucky to even get to eastern California let alone the coast! Richard, my goal with this trip is to see as much of the sierras as I can and still be able to spend a little time doing it. It takes three days to get there and three back. I was going to leave WI on Wed and be at the start of Fordyce for the official leave time and then just follow along for it, the Rubicon, and Barrett Lakes Trail. After that I was going to swing south into Yosemite for one night of camping. Then pass through to the east side and camp a night near Devils Postpile. Follow this by a trip through Death Valley coming out at Las Vegas where I'll have that three day drive home. However, since my wife won't be coming with and she has this event on Sat. the 14th that she would really like me to go to, I was thinking of sliding everything a few days. That would mean I would have to push to catch up to you all at Spider Lake late Tuesday. The rest of the week on the Rubicon would be at a relaxed pace followed by the overnight on Barrett Lakes. I could just head home after that, but since I would be there and would have rushed part of the con, I could stay a little longer and do another trail since I would have missed Fordyce. I already have the one night reservation in Yosemite, so I would be heading south from the con anyway. Now I could just spend another day or so in or around Yosemite, but figured since I would have missed Fordyce, I could do another trail. Swamp Lake sounded like a neat trail just a bit south of Yosemite, so that was why I mentioned it. The Dusy/Ershim is in the same area but a little longer (right?) so I figured Swamp Lake would be shorter and doable. In one day, camp, and out the next. Then work my way around the south end of the sierras and start heading east towards home. I don't think I should try to do a trail like Swamp by myself, so I was wondering if anybody else would like to join me. Everything is kind of in the air right now, but I am asking if anybody would be interested in doing Swamp Lake with me and also if I would be able to catch up to everybody at Spider Lake late Tuesday without a major problem. Thanks for the input, Jeff

I've never done swamp, but I think NAXJA usually takes 3 days to do it. You may want to do Red Lake/Coyote Lake trail instead which is in the same area, easily done in and out in a long day, or camp at Coyote Lake. On the way out you could also head into strawberry lake which is pretty easy compared to Coyote, but beautiful. All in 2 days.

Jeff, Yosemite is a must see if you're out here, and you have that covered. Swamp Lake is a pretty trail, with nice foregrounds and vistas, and a very nice camping spot next to Grouse Lake. Swamp can be run easily in a day with a well set up couple of rigs, I've run it twice in a day with a big group, and even though I don't like doing it that way, it can be done in a day. In your rig, if you were by yourself, it would be two easy days on the trail if you camped in the middle at Grouse Lake. When we have about 20 rigs, we usually get to the lake by mid afternoon and we're not hurrying. I know we say not to run trails by yourself, but with your set up, and if you did a thorough inspection after running Barrett, I'd say go ahead and run it yourself if you don't get any takers. You'll have all your gear if something happened, and you'd just have to wait until someone comes through, which wouldn't be too long since it's summertime and people are running the trail.

You could run Red Lake/Coyote Lake, and Coyote is as pretty a lake as you'll find, but the trail is all foregrounds, it doesn't have the vistas that Swamp has. They're short trails, trailhead is an hour from the highway, then an hour (with a small group) to Red Lake and then another hour to Coyote Lake, then back track to get out. It's a similar trail to Barrett Lake, with similar scenery.

Just for info, from Yosemite Valley to Fresno is about 1.5 hours, and from Fresno to Dinkey Creek (camping for Swamp Lake) is a little over an hour, and from Dinkey to the Swamp Lake trailhead is about an hour, then it's about 6 miles in to the lake.

Keep in mind that it's damn nice to drive higher in the Sierra's in Yosemite to Tuolomne Meadows, which is true high Sierras, and then go over Tioga Pass (which is breathtaking) and on to Mammoth and Devil's Postpile, and the Long Valley places that were already mentioned. You have a lot of great choices, and none of them are bad. I've been knocking around the Sierras for many years and there are plenty of great places I haven't seen yet. If you wanted to wait until Rubicon to decide for sure, we can go over maps and talk there. The Sierras have there own look, different from other places because of the dramatic granite and the extreme errosion caused by the glaciers.....you'll love it. :)

Jeff, there's just too much to see out here in a week or two. You just need to sell your house, pack your Jeep, and move out to the West Coast. CA is always looking for new residents (to increase their tax base). We got Brat's out here too, and sorry but our beer and cheese is better than yours.

CRASH said:
Haven't figured out the meal situation. We should have at least one good potluck, probably Monday or Tuesday night. There will also be wine tasting nightly, so everyone that wants to participate should bring two good bottles (not boxes ;) ) of wine. This is an effort to inject culture into our sport.

Have you got the meal situation figured out yet?

Yeah, Sierra Chapter is putting on a dinner on Sunday night at the Icehouse Resort.

As a member of said chapter, you get to help!

Did you take a gander at the registration form? It's all spelled out there!

CRASH

Ok, aside from the Sunday night dinner, it's whatever we decide to bring?

Hey wait, I'm going to be paying to put on a dinner?! :D Should be fun.

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Thanks for the reality check Jes. "You must be crasy to think you could see all that in two weeks." :) I do always try to cram too much into one vacation. However, if one drives forever to get to California, it sure would be nice to see more than three 4wd trails in one area. Especially if I have a spouse along, know what I mean? Richard, thanks for the input on skipping Sequoia/Kings canyon although that is where the giant trees are right? Would be nice to see, but since that area is further to the south, it might be best to skip. Looking at the map, it doesn't look like there is a good way to get south from BLT to Yosemite on the west side of the Sierra's. It looks like the best route would be south on 395 (East side of Sierra's) to 120 and into the park from that side. Any suggestions? What should be considered must see in Yosemite keeping in mind that it will be August the driest time of the year? How about driving through Death Valley in August? Is that just plain stupid? :) Keep in mind that I don't handle heat all that well. :wow:

BTW, this trip is very tentative at this point, but I would LIKE to make it. Jeff

I moved from the Chicago burbs to Sacramento to do these trails. Go get yourself the Northern California trail book that has been out for a year or so. It has 150-250 trails in Northern California and was written from a guy with a mildly built Toyota 4runner. That way you can hit some trails around Yosemite and south east of Fresno if you are going to be in those areas. Do some yahoo searches and ask around for trail names and then maybe you can hit some easy to moderate trails as well that are very scenic. Just a thought.
Troy

When do you think we will meet to start the Fordyce trail on 8/14? How about the Barrett Lake trail on 8/21? I cannot make the rubicon trip during the week, I cannot get off of work, but I would like to do the 2 back to back weekend trips. Do you guys want to meet where we hit the trail at 9 a.m. or so?
Troy

Since most locals are driving up Saturday morning for Fordyce, we'll start that at 10am.

We'll start Fordyce when my hangover subsides.

CRASH

It was asked if some of us will run the 'Con backwards on Sunday. I can't speak for the rest, but I don't think I will. There would be issues with enough gas after running it both ways, and playing around for a number of days. Also, I'd rather not be in a hurry to break camp at Meadow Lake, this is a vacation trip, plus I'll need to hit a grocery store to stock up for the Rubicon portion of the trip.

Nothing is set in stone, but that's my view at this time.

Back