• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

I wonder about the '96, what with it being OBDII. The thread I'm referring to involved a switch, which, if I remember correctly chose between first and second. With the added benefit of a CEL. Here in PA, even though my county doesn't do tailpipe sniffers, they do check for the correct operation of the CEL, so it's not just a matter of removing a bulb.

our 87 XJ has those, I think it was a laredo.
They may make their way into the MJ.

Now my '92 has joined the Rocking Chair Club. Can't do the driver's seat, though. It has a power base. The base covers were just painted, and when they're dry, my Rockers will be complete!
000_1261.jpg

000_1260.jpg

Not sure what you mean by a waggy radiator, my 98 came with a stock radiator just like that. The new autozone radiator I put in it has the drain in the same spot too, and so does the radiator I fixed for a friend with a late model two weeks ago.

Is that a stock MOPAR hitch (pentastar and all) or an aftermarket someone threw on?

Saw a wacky one at the junkyard today, a kinda blue-purple Special Edition (wtf?) '96, I didn't check any real features but I'd never heard of a Special Edition till then unless it's what SE stands for.

EDIT: apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't know this was available, Wikipedia doesn't list a Special Edition. Anyone know the start and end years for availability? All I know is that it was available in 96.
I did not know that lol in my chilton/ haynes manuals it says the drain plug should be at the bottom of the radiator where as the wagoneer xj should be right there at the side and the hitch has a mopar logo stamped into it by the reciever if I recall. the stickers and what not on it are tattered and unreadable.

My 87 Pioneer had the rocking manual seats. Nicest long distance seats I've ever had.
Some refer to these as sex seats, lol. THe seats in my 89 XJ "rock" also.

This switch's sole purpose in life is making you think you finally blew the clutches in your transmission and need to get it rebuilt.

It was eliminated in the early 90s (I believe from 93-94 or 94-95, but I'm not sure, I know it was present on 91s and possibly 92s) because it caused a lot of confusion and was rarely used. Putting it in comfort mode results in softer shifts at different RPMs/speeds and improves gas mileage somewhat, but mostly it just scares me when I hit the switch with my knee and think I blew up my 220k+ mile slushbox :looney:
Not sure about the whole mileage thing. I keep mine in POWER mode all the time. My mileage is actually a little better. Probably from the trans not slipping as much I guess.

I always thought my '98 was slightly odd... but not like some here.

Cherokee Sport 2dr
4.0/AX-15/Command-Trac/Chrysler 8.25 (3.07)
Manual locks, roll-'em-up windows, AM/FM/cassette, full gauges (metric; it's Canadian), rear wiper/defrost, A/C, skinny spare tire... and here's the weird part: power mirrors.

Why it has manual windows and locks but power mirrors cracks me up.

It's also a "Grizzly Edition", according to the sticker on the rear gate. I have no idea what this means, but I suspect that the tinted rear windows, fancy-schmancy wheels and bigger tires, and the body mouldings were all part of a dealer add-on package (along with the cheesy sticker).

Cherokee Sport 2dr
Manual locks, roll-'em-up windows, AM/FM/cassette, full gauges (metric; it's Canadian), rear wiper/defrost, A/C, skinny spare tire... and here's the weird part: power mirrors.

It's also a "Grizzly Edition", according to the sticker on the rear gate. I have no idea what this means, but I suspect that the tinted rear windows, fancy-schmancy wheels and bigger tires, and the body mouldings were all part of a dealer add-on package (along with the cheesy sticker).

One of my xj's is a 2 door 98 4-cyl 5 speed 2wd, Its an SE with crank windows and has power mirrors also. I though that was weird too. Must be standard on 97+. What I thought was really weird though is that it has the chrysler 8 1/4 rear end instead of a d35. Also thought that it was weird to have a/c in such a stripped down SE.

Mine's a bit weird, never seen one with the same options. 2001 with 4.0/AW4/231/8.25 also with tow package, had the unpainted black plastic fenders, no power windows/locks, does have power mirrors and a/c, ecco wheels with full size spare.

I can't remember 100% but I don't think the title designates what model it is at all.

Base of the Base

4.0 HO
4x4
5spd
manual locks/windows
power steering
it doesn't even have a stereo deck (didnt come with one)

overall, its a great daily driver.

my 99 has manual windows and locks, but has power mirrors and a factory amp for my 2 door speakers.

has full skid plates and tow hooks front and rear, and an aux tranny cooler, but no rear receiver. I found it to be a tad odd, and the ugliest cherokee ever, white with faded black unpainted plastic, yum

Cherokee Sport 2dr

Pretty sure '97+ did come with manual mirrors. My ex-government XJ 2 door '99 with manual doors/windows, full gauges, came with power mirrors.

Last edited:
I can verify that, I have seen a 97-up in two-tone (brown/black interior) with manual windows. I don't recall the trim level; just that it (had) a non broken passenger side mirror I was after.

I can verify that, I have seen a 97-up in two-tone (brown/black interior) with manual windows. I don't recall the trim level; just that it (had) a non broken passenger side mirror I was after.

Mine has that interior with manual windows/locks and power mirrors

The 97 we just got is a sport edition. Has 4.0 auto 231 combo. manual mirrors power locks and windows. full skids but no tow hooks or hitch. also has abs and a dana 35 rear.

The 97 we just got is a sport edition. Has 4.0 auto 231 combo. manual mirrors power locks and windows. full skids but no tow hooks or hitch. also has abs and a dana 35 rear.

If it has factory skids, does it have a rear stabilizer bar, and the funky upside-down shocks (if they're still original)? If it doesn't have a rear bar, but has the odd shocks, then it may have the Up-Country Suspension. Although, all of the Up-Countrys I'm familiar with also had tow hooks, two front and one rear. Also, they sit about an inch higher.

i had the funky shocks skids and tow hooks which pegs me as an upcountry.

but its still came with the d35 with abs, but i ditched that turd

Our '96 Classic with UpCountry also has a D35 rear, but it's limited slip. The two of ours with LSD have D35 rears. The two with open diffs have 8.25 punkins. The ones with LSD can get up a snowy driveway without 4wd, the ones with open rears need help from the front wheels.

i just picked up a dark blue with red pinstriping 84 cherokee pioneer 2door, 4cyl, 5spd, 4x4 with 4.56 gears, limited slip rear axle, disconnect front axle with cv joints, rear wiper, am/fm radio, air conditioning, stock towhitch, dark blue interior with lowback front seats, digital clock, aluminum turbine wheels, and no center armrest console. don't know how rare that is, but i think it's a pretty neat little ride, especially for $200

Back