• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

Its the hottest thing today!

Okay heres my oddball.
1991 Base model
4.0L/AX-15/NP231
d30/d35 3.07
All factory skids except t-case no tow hooks
Jensen speakers,a/c,pwr steering,no wing windows, crank windows and baby 1 inch reciever hitch instead of the 2 inch with rear wiper and defrost,cloth seats and full gauges with tach and the bastard has a waggy radiator as the drain is on the side not the damn bottom ! to me it sounds like its a government issue or fleet jeep but its got carpet and its dark purple ? I dont know
Not sure what you mean by a waggy radiator, my 98 came with a stock radiator just like that. The new autozone radiator I put in it has the drain in the same spot too, and so does the radiator I fixed for a friend with a late model two weeks ago.

Is that a stock MOPAR hitch (pentastar and all) or an aftermarket someone threw on?

Saw a wacky one at the junkyard today, a kinda blue-purple Special Edition (wtf?) '96, I didn't check any real features but I'd never heard of a Special Edition till then unless it's what SE stands for.

EDIT: apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't know this was available, Wikipedia doesn't list a Special Edition. Anyone know the start and end years for availability? All I know is that it was available in 96.

haha SE definitely does not stand for special.

my first cherokee was odd: 2001 limited, cloth interior, manual seats..........It had fogs, leather steering, and electric windows.....But so did my 2000 Sport!

Maybe it was meant to be a Classic, but they didnt offer the classic in '01 right? Guess someone just wanted the icons.

Last edited:
haha SE definitely does not stand for special.

my first cherokee was odd: 2001 limited, cloth interior, manual seats..........It had fogs, leather steering, and electric windows.....But so did my 2000 Sport!

Guess someone just wanted the icons.

My 2000 Classic is optioned like that too. A lot of the limited/classic models had cloth seats, But they are better seats than in the sport/se. There is more side support and they have an adjustable headrest.

I thought classics were cloth standard leather optional....limiteds being leather standard. As in classics just got you the colored keyed bumpers.

Isnt it fun trying to make sense of something even Chrysler probably couldn't!

I thought classics were cloth standard leather optional....limiteds being leather standard. As in classics just got you the colored keyed bumpers.

Isnt it fun trying to make sense of something even Chrysler probably couldn't!

I had an 01 limited that had cloth seats. it didnt have the overhead console, no wood trim, no window tint, manual seats

I think that the '01 Limited was just like the '96 Classic- "Let's use up the materials we have and if we run short, don't worry. It'll sell".... My son's '96 Classic has every option available that year, including the '97+ windshield wiper arms, and different fuel injectors than my '96 Country. Oddly enough, the Classic of that year had the Laredo/Country rubber moulding on the lower body, painted body color. But, the bumpers were black, like Sport and SE. His whole Jeep is black, though, so it almost looks like an earlier Limited, all dipped in the same color.
Last summer I got the tweeters that sit behind the mirrors, in later models, from a stripper Sport that had the better head unit, with the amp under the back seat. Most of the '00 '01 Limiteds I've seen lately in the yard actually have fewer options than some of the lower line models. Cloth seats, black dash bezel, etc. That's why it's more fun to mix and match options with the earlier models. There was more available. All four of ours now have Country interiors, and my son's '95 even has an '89 Waggy Ltd. front clip on it.

Last edited:
100_1395.jpg

100_1393.jpg

Let's not forget the Rocking Chair option. I found two different examples, an '85 and an '87, both 'Pioneer' trim, at Harry's. In addition to the slider handle, there's a flat lever protruding from under the seat, toward the transmission hump. Pull it up, and the seat 'rocks' a few degrees. Just the ticket when the recliner doesn't give you enough 'gangster lean'!

Black was more common in the older Limited's. Here's one of my favorite leather interiors in an 87 Limited:

xj_interior_87_limited.jpg

I had forgot about these seats. My 89 Wagoneer had them in burgandy. the vehicles we like the most, are usually take away in circumstances beyond our control; like sleeping drivers or neglectful soccer moms.

'90 XJ Larado, auto, 231, Power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, Tilt, AM/FM Cass, Rear wiper/defrog, driving lights, BUT NO FRIGGIN CRUISE CONTROL. I had thought it had been taken out. But there isn't even a hole in the firewall where the cruise unit would have been.

My 90 has cruise control on it and it had the over head compartment in it when i got it. my has all the stuff yours has also.

I just bought an 88. The vin says its a Laredo, which I thought was a super option that was supposed to have everything. Mine has the original cloth seats that match the carpet, electric windows, mirrors, rear defog, rear wiper, cruise, full cluster, center console, cup holder over the e-brake, it did have electric seats but it went out and was replaced with the manual brackets, tilt, a/c, folding rear seat (not sure if they all had that or not), AW4 , 4.0, NP242, tow hooks, and all the skid plates as well. It also has the the power/comfort switch for the transmission but im not sure exactly what it does, and fog lights. Just about everything works except the a/c, and the cruise just went out a few days ago, but wow. And just for kicks its painted in camo =)

100_1395.jpg

100_1393.jpg

Let's not forget the Rocking Chair option. I found two different examples, an '85 and an '87, both 'Pioneer' trim, at Harry's. In addition to the slider handle, there's a flat lever protruding from under the seat, toward the transmission hump. Pull it up, and the seat 'rocks' a few degrees. Just the ticket when the recliner doesn't give you enough 'gangster lean'!

Haha i have those exact seats in my '92. Snaged them out of a cash for clunkers jeep, and they are super nice.

It also has the the power/comfort switch for the transmission but im not sure exactly what it does
This switch's sole purpose in life is making you think you finally blew the clutches in your transmission and need to get it rebuilt.

It was eliminated in the early 90s (I believe from 93-94 or 94-95, but I'm not sure, I know it was present on 91s and possibly 92s) because it caused a lot of confusion and was rarely used. Putting it in comfort mode results in softer shifts at different RPMs/speeds and improves gas mileage somewhat, but mostly it just scares me when I hit the switch with my knee and think I blew up my 220k+ mile slushbox :looney:

This switch's sole purpose in life is making you think you finally blew the clutches in your transmission and need to get it rebuilt.

It was eliminated in the early 90s (I believe from 93-94 or 94-95, but I'm not sure, I know it was present on 91s and possibly 92s) because it caused a lot of confusion and was rarely used. Putting it in comfort mode results in softer shifts at different RPMs/speeds and improves gas mileage somewhat, but mostly it just scares me when I hit the switch with my knee and think I blew up my 220k+ mile slushbox :looney:

Thanks, I sat there flipping it back and forth one day and could not tell what it did at all...

I think the switch went away with Renix. My '92 HO doesn't have it. Although, I was looking at one in the junkyard today, and I was wondering if there's a way to use the switch to lock out 1st gear, and get 2nd, when you put the shifter down into 1-2. There's a road coming down the mountain where I live, and second would work just fine, but all I get is first. I know it would involve tapping into the tranny harness. I saw a write-up here years ago, but, if I remember correctly, it always threw a check engine code. Don't need that in my '96.

I think the switch went away with Renix. My '92 HO doesn't have it. Although, I was looking at one in the junkyard today, and I was wondering if there's a way to use the switch to lock out 1st gear, and get 2nd, when you put the shifter down into 1-2. There's a road coming down the mountain where I live, and second would work just fine, but all I get is first. I know it would involve tapping into the tranny harness. I saw a write-up here years ago, but, if I remember correctly, it always threw a check engine code. Don't need that in my '96.
Nope, it was still present in the '91s, and '90 was the last year of the Renix.

It just changes the shift points of the transmission. When it was deleted, the transmission was hardwired into "power" mode.

I feel that my transmission likes to hunt around a lot when in comfort mode, so I just leave it in power.

My 91 HO has it, so I'm really not sure. 97 and later throw the check engine light, a 96 or earlier will remain blissfully ignorant and let you do whatever you want with the transmission.

Back