• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 behind a AX-15

It will boltup just fine, in case there was any question.

No particular reason it shouldn't - all of the NP transfer cases use a mounting pattern that is based on the old D300 pattern (not the IHC version, the other one. The IHC used a similar pattern to the D18/D20 - shaped like Texas, as I recall.)

I e-mailed the guy and he said that it's still not an ideal fix. It's better than nothing and will help, but said it's the best choice for the NP242 given the lack of viable SYE's.

I think I'm going to go with Tom Woods' kit. $500 for a SYE and custom build shaft and it's free shipping. Now I'm just waiting on the case! Thanks for all the help and input fellas! Really appreciate it.

Depending on your year of AX-15 you may have input shaft length issues. I researched this a lot a while ago as I'm planning on doing it and the older AX-15s have the right length but the newer ones are different.

Picked up a NP242 with about 6000 miles on a rebuild. Has a Hack-N-Tap with a 1/2" fine thread bolt that was put in by a machine shop when the case was rebuilt. It even came with a new rear CV driveshaft built when all this was done. Got it for $150! Now I've got to get a transmission mount, motor mounts, and figure out what I need for the shifter. Thanks for the help guys!

You and me both Jon. I've gotta find a NP242 shifter and bezel for it just because I'm that kinda peculiar about it, but I figure Agee's will have a few in stock for cheap. Once I get that stuff and a new transmission mount I'll be able to put in my OME springs without worrying about it vibrating on the highway. Putting 400miles on it a week I need to make sure it's all as durable as possible. :cool:

Nice. Just to add since this thread started:
I have a ... 242. (which will be replaced by a 241 next weekend)...
When I took my 242 out, it went to foxwar71, and has been behind his AX15 in his DD since last July or so. He is certainly not easy on his vehicles (or anything to be exact), and he uses the full time option for launching at stop lights, and has wheeled it a few times. It has stood up to his abuse so far, so you should definitely be fine.

That's good to know begster! I'm wanting it to help with winter interstate travel. Last winter there was one night it took me 3 lanes to go a 1/4 mile on I81. Pinched a hole in the seat....

When I took my 242 out, it went to foxwar71, and has been behind his AX15 in his DD since last July or so. He is certainly not easy on his vehicles (or anything to be exact), and he uses the full time option for launching at stop lights, and has wheeled it a few times. It has stood up to his abuse so far, so you should definitely be fine.

:thumbup: 242 + AX15 = Ross approved!!!

I resist the urge to do AWD launches, although I have done a few to test it. I mainly use fulltime when the roads are really wet and such. During the winter, it was a night and day difference. I LOVED having fulltime behind a manual in snow, it drove infinate times better the 2WD. I wouldnt hesitate to do the swap again.

What did you have to do about the shifter? Did the basics of the NP231 shifter work, just extend/shorten the linkage or did you have to swap any major parts? I want the shifter for the proper gate and bezel to give it the factory look.

My linkage is the same, I just re-adjusted it a little bit. Ive got the correct bezel swapped in but still have the 231 shift gate. It still works, it just has different positions. On a 242 shift gate, bringing the shifter all the way back before it has to move right gets you fulltime. With the 231 shift gate, you have to move to the right and come back just a little bit more. Ive got a 97+ consule/bevel in my 95 with 95 shifters. If I ever feel like doing it, I'll swap in the matching shift gate and shifter handle just to make it look all pretty.

Any thoughts on doing this swap the other way? I've got a 242 in my truck now behind an AW4, and I'd love to have an AX-15 in there instead.

I don't know about the auto-manual swap. I'm sure there are LOTS of write-ups on here for it. I like the AX-15, but there are days I'd rather have the AW4. Towing would be much easier and there would be less reason to have to go to 4.10 gears with only 31's. The little 4.0L is torquey, but 3.55's on 31's with the AX-15 is not an ideal towing setup. 3.55's on 235's maybe, but 31's need 4.10's for me to be happy. The torque converter in the automatic makes up for lack of gearing and crawl ratio.

:cool:

Did the NP242 swap today! It works great and the new case is in very good shape. No more roaring coming from the transmission tunnel. My shifter doesn't completely work, it's a little tricky getting 2hi, I may still swap in a Select-Trac shifter if I can find one. The local yards I stopped at Friday didn't have any Select-Trac 97+ Cherokees there. There are a couple more I need to check with, but I'm not sure when I'll have the time to do so.

As for everything else, I swapped in a new pair of OME Heavy Load Dakar leaf springs and the new rear driveshaft is silky smooth. It sits a little higher than I wanted, but that's just good reason to do a 5" long arm kit on the front to level it back out. :D

Thanks for all the advice and help guys! I really think I'm going to enjoy the AX-15/NP242 combo.

Well, are 242's bad for cracking anywhere? The one I have is pouring out fluid. It looks like its coming from a casting mark on the bottom of the boss where the selector is. All the seals look nice and dry but the entire underside is wet and my back glass is covered too.

It's not a crack, it's a hole... But it looks like the hole is supposed to be there. The case is a NP242AMC, which means late 80's vintage (to me anyways) and it's in a 1998 Cherokee now. Just above (1/4") and about 3" forward of the selector arm on the side of the case, there is what appears to be a 1/4" hole. This evening after work, I wiped off the case really well with a rag and then drove it around the block. After I got back, I hopped out and checked it really well with a flash light and you can see where it's running out of the hole. Everything (dirt and all) above this hole is dry and there was a nice red trail down the side of the case. SO, what goes there? Am I missing something the earlier cases had?

Back