• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP203/205 Test fit...

tell us more about the truck in the next stall.....

All original 51 Ford F1 Bought new by my Great Uncle. Flat head v-8 3 on the tree. It will get restored when I stop having to pay $1030 a month in alimony or when I get my Jeep projects relatively done.....

Nice project. My first car was a '62 F-100. It was my driver for 15 years or so and then served pickup duty until I bought my Diesel about 5 years ago - now my best friend drives it.

pic11.jpg

New-2.jpg

p003245.jpg

Lookin' good, let us all know if you have any negative issues with the bumpstop at the leaf spring.

Nice truck Cal. Will do 89twodoor. I will say that it was suggested by my friend Ironman Andy. His race xj has air bumps mounted there. At some point I want to lower this and put ORI's on the front. Maybe even go to a smaller 40" trepador tire. Well over the weekend I was doing my battery relocation to the back and found this:

That is the floor rusting out and the spring mount failing. Luckily I found it before going wheeling this weekend and next. So I immediately jumped into fixing it in an attempt to wheel the next two weekends.

The bolt was a bitch to get out. Was nice to have the GF right there with me even though I smashed and cut my finger nail on a leaf spring bolt.

Removed some material:

This is where I stopped cutting and started making the pieces to put this back together and make it stronger. you can see the scrap I had laying around in this picture that will cover the hole.

I made .25 plates to go over the thin pressed sheet that is the hanger.

Plan is to put a .25 think foot over it and tie it up to the cage with a piece of tube. I'll do something less complicated to the other side to keep it from going up through the floor. If you wheel your xj hard and have a cage do yourself a favor and put a plate over this spring and a kicker up to the B hoop. :dunce:

One of my teenage twins helped me last night and he may have stumbled on a mod I am now seriously considering....

Did a couple test fits with the leaf spring in place before welding the new nut and frame side mount home.....

All done!

Then I started in on the other side.

So I took it wheeling to Durhamtown Tellico and slid into a tree.

I pulled it back out and removed the old windshield.

Thinking about 3/16th Lexan for a replacement. Either a single sheet or two 24' x 30" pieces. Crawl happens in a couple weeks so I need to get this ordered and done. If I do the two pieces I'll run a thin support in the center to bolt to. Thoughts?

It is *super* flexible. You'll have to put a center support either way.

(I work for one of the largest polycarb distributors in the US).

It is *super* flexible. You'll have to put a center support either way.

(I work for one of the largest polycarb distributors in the US).

Thanks for the info. Right now I'm honestly leaning towards goggles until I can take the time to do what I want. Chop more and suspension seats. It called Professional plastics today and the 24" x 60" 3/16th was $100 to my door. A local glass place was $150 for the traditional windshield. The only thing I can get local is at Home Depot and it's .093 and I felt that was too thin. Thoughts cal?

Well, at least 3 Naxja members work at Professional Plastics..

Which facility did you call?

Well, at least 3 Naxja members work at Professional Plastics..

Which facility did you call?

I called the 888 number on the site for Atlanta, GA but I think it routed me to CA.

Check your PM's. ;)

Thanks for the info. With the Crawl right around the corner I'm going to be putting the windshield on the back burner until I get back. I have a couple other things that need to be addressed... Like:

I made some templates to cap and tie into the cage:

Got them shaped and tacked in place:

I'm hoping to do my battery relocation this weekend too. Eventually I think I'll cut all this old tube out roof off and start over.

And it got done!

Been working on it every night after work. The girlfriend wasn't too happy with the goggles idea. So last minuet trip to Lowe's for some Lexan as a temp windshield......

Put a center brace in and now I wish I had made it a triangle wider at the bottom. Oh well.....

Getting it cut and in place:

Painted the bare metal:

Peeled and reinstalled the Lexan!

Only scratched it once with the drill! I have a feeling this stuff is going to get ditched real soon! I might be wrong though.

Got my new compressor:

Built a mount for it last night:

Still have to build the vehicle side of the quick release mount this weekend and address a bad heim in the track bar.

203/205 update. I have been wheeling this set up sense 2007. I noticed some issues with long slight climbs. Every time I got to the top or near it the transmission would start to slip. I also noticed my transmission would be a bit low on fluid every so often. Well I finally found the issue. The output seal on the aw-4 was not completely sealing. I would loose fluid when on an incline. My spacer was too think. IF you go this route you should not use a 1/4 spacer. I had mine machined down recently to fix this problem. I also found a crack in my upper 3 link mount.

First time out in over 7 years.

Upper link mount cracked:

Bottom view of the mount.

I really like how Andy did this mount. It really ties into the uni-body well. Probably why I didn't loose that upper mount.

and working on the repair.

I will be putting a piece of angle to cap that joint and fish mouthing it to make it stronger. I'll try and remember to post pictures. I'm hoping to try and go suspension seats and 5 point harnesses in the next year. Sick and tired or the seat belt locking on me.

After work today I finished fixing the upper mount and reinforced it some.

I got the 203 back in place:

That biatch is heavy! I'm definitely going to look into the black box in the future.

I got the 205 in place but had an issue with the linkage and had to drop it back down till I could get a replacement pin. I'm hoping to get it all back together before next weekend.

After returning from a weekend of family and a family reunion I got the 205 back in place late last night...

The new spacer is about 3/16th thick.

Back