• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP203/205 Test fit...

First cut.

Destroyed??? Right.... So this is what I ended up with:

Rain forced me inside today.

Destroyed??? Right.... So this is what I ended up with:

Rain forced me inside today.

That is not destroyed, its "trail clearanced". Unibodys need trail clearancing, it gets all the sheet metal out of the way.

John

But it has dents in it. It's clearly totaled. Ready for a scrap yard. I assume that's why you're cutting it up. So it'll be easier to transport to the scrap yard.

But it has dents in it. It's clearly totaled. Ready for a scrap yard. I assume that's why you're cutting it up. So it'll be easier to transport to the scrap yard.

I had a moment of nostalgia this weekend. Knowing this xj went to Tellico for it's first ever wheeling trip makes it kind of special. I agree John.

I had a moment of nostalgia this weekend. Knowing this xj went to Tellico for it's first ever wheeling trip makes it kind of special. I agree John.
The body always goes when they get older!:eek:

Currently researching how people are tieing into the unibody. I have wheeled this thing with nothing more then plates welded in place and thinking about how to better tie the rear and other tubes in. So if you have pictures of what you did post up and link me.

Got some work done this weekend.

Any advantage or disadvantage to running the shocks body down?

For someone who doesn't due tube on a regular basis this was a major accomplishment. Now it's not perfect but I'm happy with it....

Then this happened...

Hopefully I can work on that other top bar and start in on the upper shock mount soon. Trying to figure out where to put the upper mount as in height. Should I mount the shocks and go 4" or 5" up form ride height? 12" travel shocks should net about 7" or 8" of down travel right?

Moving forward....

I really hate welding upside down......

Going to start on the upper shock mounts next. Any suggestion on how to determine where to put them? I was thinking about 4" - 5" of up travel from ride height....???

I run about 3" of up travel but I also only have some 10" travel shocks on the rear.

I'd flex the rear out as far as you want it to go, measure, bump stop and mount the shocks so that they have a little cushion room at full bump.

I run about 3" of up travel but I also only have some 10" travel shocks on the rear.

I'd flex the rear out as far as you want it to go, measure, bump stop and mount the shocks so that they have a little cushion room at full bump.

From ride height?

From ride height?

I run 3" of up travel from ride height until I hit the bump stop, yes.

I'd flex yours out with no shocks on the rear, decide where you want it to stop, bump stop there, then mount your shock so that you hit the bumpstops before you bottom out the shock. Then let your down travel be whatever it's going to be.

I run 3" of up travel from ride height until I hit the bump stop, yes.

I'd flex yours out with no shocks on the rear, decide where you want it to stop, bump stop there, then mount your shock so that you hit the bumpstops before you bottom out the shock. Then let your down travel be whatever it's going to be.

Yea I guess I need to think about bump stops too......

So I made some progress last week. Until I found my passenger seat mount bent.

Fixed that with one I had laying around.

Got to this point Thursday night and then had to take some time off for a funeral.

Returned Sunday and Knocked some stuff out:

Yes I know its ugly..... but it has paint on it.....

Boom done!

Then I moved on to the back shock mounts and cross bar.

Been working on it more. Ended up cutting the tacks and moving it up about an 1" to give me a little more up travel. Then I tacked the shocks in place.

More work....

Ghetto fab bump stop:

Clearancing....

Wheeled it at Durhamtown Tellico. It did ok. The new chop has some getting use to. Did some more work on it recently.

Added spreaders:

Built tail light mounts:

Needed something other then a bungee for the fuel filler....

Back