• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start after warm but fires up with foot to floor.

So what is the acceptable bleed down rate for the fuel lines? I guess I can clamp off the return to tank line and see if any bleed down occurs since the only thing left would be the injectors.

Is there a fuel flow test for the pump? I know on my cummins there was X-mL's in Y-seconds sort of test.

The coolant temp sensor doesn't have to show full cold to cause the problem. On my 98 it failed and was off about 20 degrees as the gauge indicated, and that was enough to cause the issue.

So what is the acceptable bleed down rate for the fuel lines? I guess I can clamp off the return to tank line and see if any bleed down occurs since the only thing left would be the injectors.

Is there a fuel flow test for the pump? I know on my cummins there was X-mL's in Y-seconds sort of test.

There is no return line on your 99, it's a return less system.

So any bleed down would be from injectors or the pressure regulator in the tank?
There's also a check valve in the pump that is supposed to keep the line pressurized. However that is typically identified by hard starts that happen no matter the duration (overnight and short stops) since the fuel lines drain out relatively quick.

A leaking FPR diaphragm will leak all the time so you would notice low pressure all the time.

Injector leak typically produces symptoms of hard-start only after short stops, because it floods a cylinder or wets a plug.

The pressure numbers you posted earlier seem good so, makes me think its a problem with air instead. Its also possible there is an ignition problem, and holding the pedal down is just a coincidence.

Did you check to see if the injectors are dripping as someone mentioned earlier? I would take the rail out with the injectors while the engine is hot (be careful) and watch for drips.

You really should have no drain back to the tank, the pressure drops normally as a result of the fuel cooling not because it has drained back. In other words, there should always be liquid fuel in the lines even when the pressure is zero.

So any bleed down would be from injectors or the pressure regulator in the tank?

It could be from either but to cause what you are describing, I would think the injectors would be the problem. Run a can of BG44K. Trust me. It is the one thing you can do that you should probably do either way. It helps restore the original pep and mileage by cleaning the injectors and making them more efficient.

Small update, temps here haven't been as hot over the past week or so and we havent had any cranking issues. This week is headed back for mid-upper 90's so we'll see how she behaves.

I bet your pre cat bolts are loose. They are probably rusted into loose so Put a socket on them and start
Cranking. Wrap the injectors and put on hood vents. I wouldnt be surprised if that does it. Loose pre cats dump tons of hot
Exhaust

Back