• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start '92 4.0 Alternator or NSS

kevin s

NAXJA Forum User
No start. Accessories work. Radio, windows, etc. I thought I had narrowed it down to the starter, but swapped in a spare and still no go. Had tried the backup lights to check the NSS. They lit. Am going to clean it anyway.

My question is, if there is a problem with the alternator, say an open circuit of some sort, would that cause a no-start? I thought you could start/run on battery power alone until the battery runs down.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It's NOT the alternator. You're right, if it's bad...the truck will run until it drains the battery. You've most likely got a bad NSS problem. Do you have a test light? Make SURE your starter is good by checking the small wire on the starter. Have an assitant turn the key to start, if it's the NSS you will have no signal to the starter (no test light). If the NSS is good and the starter is bad, your test light will light up.

John

Thanks. That helps. I am going to yank the NSS tonight, assuming the test light pans out bad. I have done the search for the cleaning procedure.
I guess it's my turn. This is my 4th XJ, going back to 1987; first problem with an NSS.

O.K. It's a no-go on the test lamp.
I have the NSS half-way off.

What's the trick for getting this thing off? I left the big nut on and pried the NSS halfway off as posted elsewhere, but that's all the further it will come. What gear should the shifter be in when I am attempting to take it off?

Help. Getting dark. LOL.

O.K., now what?!

Cleaned the NSS and replaced. Put it back on in exactly the same position as it came off. Adjusted it a couple times. Still no go.

Ignition switch maybe? I am running out of ideas.

kevin s said:
O.K., now what?!

Cleaned the NSS and replaced. Put it back on in exactly the same position as it came off. Adjusted it a couple times. Still no go.

Ignition switch maybe? I am running out of ideas.
I thought you tested it with a test light? Have you tested for a start signal at the starter relay?

Exactly what happens when you switch on and then go to start position? Any sound at all?

When driving a friend's 93 XJ several days around the first of the year I found the best/only way to start it several times was to hold the ignition switch in the start position and jiggle the shift lever while moving between Park and Neutral. Worked every time...eventually.

Sorry for the confusing posts. Lets start over.

All lights and accessories work fine; windows, doors, radio, door open alarm, etc. When I turn the key to start, the fuel pump cycles and the starter relay clicks. Engine doesn't turn over or click click click like when the battery is dead.

Battery is 1 year old. Charged it to see if it was dead; only took a 1/2 hour to fully charge. Tried to jump start it, still no clicky.

Cleaned the NSS. I will try the test light thing again while adjusting the NSS. Maybe it's still not adjusted right (?)

Replaced the starter with a used one I had laying around. Put the orignal one back on. I have had bad starters before, but they always squeal and complain before going dead.

Ballast resistor looks O.K. but haven't tested it.

Have wiggled the shifter while attempting to start in both park and neutral.

I'll recheck everything suggested one more time (or 2 or 3 LOL). I have the FSM, but sometimes get confused.

Any other suggestions while I am rechecking things?

Hmmm. Do you think if I threaten it with a trip to the kennel, er, dealership, it will startup and behave?

Checked all connections. Sure don't see anything amiss.

NSS is good. Cleaned it. Checked the pins for continuity in all gears per the FSM. Did the test light test.

Starter is good. Solenoid is good. Swapped in a spare starter. Swapped the original back in.

I have a spare alternator. Any chance it is that?

kevin s said:
Hmmm. Do you think if I threaten it with a trip to the kennel, er, dealership, it will startup and behave?

Checked all connections. Sure don't see anything amiss.

NSS is good. Cleaned it. Checked the pins for continuity in all gears per the FSM. Did the test light test.

Starter is good. Solenoid is good. Swapped in a spare starter. Swapped the original back in.

I have a spare alternator. Any chance it is that?
If the battery's not dead it should start, did you check the starter relay as I suggested?

Yep. Checked it per the FSM. Also swapped in a new one.

Starter switch? (you have to be a contortionist with midget fingers to get to the thing, even after dropping the lower valance.) I did the wiggle test only.

I think I'll swap in another battery just for sh##@ and giggles.

im having the same problem with my '91 4.0 aw4 same symptoms...took starter out and brought it to autozone and tested it on the machine they have there----all good...i heard it start up and run....what is the NSS something with the tranny safety switch ? sorry to hijack but i just bought the jeep and havent gone through a tank of gas in it yet:(

kevin s said:
Sorry for the confusing posts. Lets start over.

All lights and accessories work fine; windows, doors, radio, door open alarm, etc. When I turn the key to start, the fuel pump cycles and the starter relay clicks. Engine doesn't turn over or click click click like when the battery is dead.

Battery is 1 year old. Charged it to see if it was dead; only took a 1/2 hour to fully charge. Tried to jump start it, still no clicky.

Cleaned the NSS. I will try the test light thing again while adjusting the NSS. Maybe it's still not adjusted right (?)

Replaced the starter with a used one I had laying around. Put the orignal one back on. I have had bad starters before, but they always squeal and complain before going dead.

Ballast resistor looks O.K. but haven't tested it.
If the starter relay clicks then the starter relay is bad, or the wire from the starter relay to the starter is broken.

Have wiggled the shifter while attempting to start in both park and neutral.

I'll recheck everything suggested one more time (or 2 or 3 LOL). I have the FSM, but sometimes get confused.

Any other suggestions while I am rechecking things?
If the starter relay clicks then the "starter relay" is bad, or the "wire" from the starter relay to the starter is broken.
The relay will not click if the NSS or ignition switch is bad.

YAY! It WORKS!!
I think I had a couple problems.

Ultimately, I believe it was a bad alternator that did in the battery. I swapped in a spare alternator and it it just barely turned over. That was actually encouraging, having not gotten that far all week. I charged up the battery again that I had insisted was good more than once. It had gone down overnight even though it was unconnected. The XJ had not taken a jump either. I tried it from a running ZJ and also with my battery charger set to "start".

So...new (actually used, but warranteed) 120 amp alternator, new Red Top. Cleaned, dialectric greased and tightened every connection Good to go.

ME HAPPY NOW.

Going here tomorrow. http://www.gravelrama.com/
My son was working the scale at the flat drags today and almost got killed. One of the drag racers left his nitrous on when he shut down. Then he primed it to restart (alcohol) and the thing blew the air cleaner assembly off of the twin carbs 80 feet into the air. The shock wave blew out light bulbs on the scale shed and the air cleaner landed in the camp ground. Pieces were falling for 15 seconds. Said boy was 5 feet away pointing out a leak to the guy when it happened. Other than his ears ringing for an hour, he's fine.

Tomorrow is the Eliminator Hill. Pea gravel 7 stories high. Not for the faint of heart.

Neutral Safety Switch and they are notorious for getting crud in them and not working properly, fortunately you can remove them(carefully) and clean them. A good reason to try cleaning them first is that they cost between $250 and $300 new.

Back