• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power in 5th gear :(

I think guy's with an auto tranny can get away with taller tires. I went to 31's, a bored throttle body & am very happy with it with stock 3.55 gears.

ia green96 said:
I think guy's with an auto tranny can get away with taller tires. I went to 31's, a bored throttle body & am very happy with it with stock 3.55 gears.

actually it's the other way around. autos with bigger tires build more heat which in turn hurts the tranny, plus the gearing in the autos makes them "slushy".

a stock manual XJ will outrun a stock auto XJ because the gearing in the manual transmission itself is better than the gearing in the auto tranny, plus if you have to, you can push the manual a little harder and further than a auto since you control the shift points. and you don't really have the heat issues with the manual trannies as you do with the autos.

mattbred said:
...I have 235/75/r15's with an 89 manual (dunno what my gears are) but when I'm in fifth at 90 KM/H (56 mph) my RPM's are 1550, and it will still accelerate up steep inclines.

My dad's new 2007 (classic) GMC 1500 with the 4.3 vortec won't accelerate at ALL in 5th on a hill, and when cruising at 90 KM/H he's at 1800ish RPM's. It's weird...

the truck probably weighs at least 1k lbs more than the xj and the 4.0 has like 85% of its peak torque off idle, in that situation it is all about torque to weight ratio ;)

FoMoCo said:
the truck probably weighs at least 1k lbs more than the xj and the 4.0 has like 85% of its peak torque off idle, in that situation it is all about torque to weight ratio ;)

True but I always heard that the 4.3 is a torque monster as well. Hm..

It'd be interesting to throw the 4.0 in there and see the difference.

mattbred said:
True but I always heard that the 4.3 is a torque monster as well. Hm..

It'd be interesting to throw the 4.0 in there and see the difference.

Actually it would be easier to find a 2.8L V6 XJ and put the 4.3L gm in there. Oh, wait a minute, is that 4.3L in the GM one of those straight 6's ?

RichP said:
Actually it would be easier to find a 2.8L V6 XJ and put the 4.3L gm in there. Oh, wait a minute, is that 4.3L in the GM one of those straight 6's ?
4.3 is a v6
the 4.2 is the GM I6 (damn chevy rippin off AMC :rolleyes: :D)

My '94 with the AX15, 4.0 and 3.07's, had 215/75/15 tires on it until last weekend. I always thought that fifth gear was kind of weak. Now that I have 30x9.50x15's on it, 5th gear sucks. I also lost 4th gear about 2 months ago so going from 3rd to 5th to get on the freeway blows.

This is the only Jeep I have driven and it doesn't seem quite as powerful as everyone makes them out to be. Perhaps there is something wrong with mine. I am still doing maintainance on it to be sure its completely up to snuff. Just need a new O2 sensor and the MAP sensor is still original. It has been rebuilt (saw oversized pistons when I did the head gasket) but I dont know how many miles are on the engine.

I drive up a steep hill on the way home everyday and in 3rd gear at 2000 rpms, it would barely speed up with the 215's. Now its a 2nd gear thing unless I want to slow down.

-Chad

Back