• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nice to see NAXJA got invited...

"Killed in the line of duty"? what happened? Was he a police officer, or did he die wheeling? The way the plaque reads, it almost sounds like he died wheeling. No disrespect, just trying to get the story straight.

Last edited:
I'm sorry this post isn't exactly related to Seth's plaque...but...

Have any of you SEEN what the exit to Patriot on Indy looks like now!?!?!

SO unbelievably furious as to the utter HACK JOB on the exit...with exposed rebar...and a rediculous stacking job :smsoap:

Can I adopt the trail to help keep it the way it WAS!

So much for keeping hard trails...HARD!!!

Well yes and no frank. Saw plenty or guys drive out it. And now even with it stacked saw so e buggies on 42's struggling. Appears that if ya suck at driving havin a built ass rig won't help ya out the exit. From what I saw. If you can drive out bunker hill you can drive out the exit. Bunker hill looked harder than the exit. I'm with denard on this one. I think they destroyed it and itneeds to be re repaired. But that's just me.

From what I understand the exit was damn near impossible for even extremely overbuilt rigs and was getting worse.

That is correct Frank, it was becoming impossibe even for the over built buggies! I have to agree with the repair work that was done as the exit is still fairly difficult. I do however think that a better job could have been done!! I have lived with Indy in my backyard for a long time! I was here when it was opened and I can say that the exit has without a doubt gotten really bad!

From what I understand the exit was damn near impossible for even extremely overbuilt rigs and was getting worse.

Well yes and no frank. Saw plenty or guys drive out it. And now even with it stacked saw so e buggies on 42's struggling. Appears that if ya suck at driving havin a built ass rig won't help ya out the exit. From what I saw. If you can drive out bunker hill you can drive out the exit. Bunker hill looked harder than the exit. I'm with denard on this one. I think they destroyed it and itneeds to be re repaired. But that's just me.

That is correct Frank, it was becoming impossibe even for the over built buggies! I have to agree with the repair work that was done as the exit is still fairly difficult. I do however think that a better job could have been done!! I have lived with Indy in my backyard for a long time! I was here when it was opened and I can say that the exit has without a doubt gotten really bad!

I don't think the exit was THAT bad. I've been on trails with exits FAR worse than Indy's, but they keep it that way for a reason. As Mike said...I've seen rigs drive out it before. Its not meant to be driven by a midly XJ on 35's (though I got mine about 3/4 the way out), its mean for a pretty well built rig, with someone behind the wheel with driving skill and some balls willing to risk rolling...its the nature of our sport.

I saw a Twisted Customs buggy drive out it like it was absolutely nothing, on 37's to boot. I've known guys who've run the whole trail in less than 5 minutes...

Sorry but to me there are some things that should just be left alone...this was one of them :dunno:

Part of the problem is the huge catch-22 that trail maintenance creates......

If you let it get that difficult to get OUT...... rigs break, fluids spill, the trail becomes polluted and arguements are made to close it.

Make it easier, it's easier to keep it open, more folks get to enjoy it...... but more use creates more litter, more wear and tear....... and more trail maintenance.

Did they ever add a good winch point at the top of the exit anywhere? The two times I've run it, we were using an old stump for a winch point. If a good winch point existed before the "repair" then I think they should have left the exit as it was.

When I saw those repair pics, I assumed the rocks secured with rebar were foundation rocks...... I figured they'd be putting rocks OVER the rebar, not leaving it exposed.

Wonder how long it'll be before someone with a portable torch or a grinder removes that rebar....... :rolleyes:

Regardless......... I still wanna get down there and give it a try. :thumbup:

I don't think the exit was THAT bad. I've been on trails with exits FAR worse than Indy's, but they keep it that way for a reason. As Mike said...I've seen rigs drive out it before. Its not meant to be driven by a midly XJ on 35's (though I got mine about 3/4 the way out), its mean for a pretty well built rig, with someone behind the wheel with driving skill and some balls willing to risk rolling...its the nature of our sport.

I saw a Twisted Customs buggy drive out it like it was absolutely nothing, on 37's to boot. I've known guys who've run the whole trail in less than 5 minutes...

Sorry but to me there are some things that should just be left alone...this was one of them :dunno:

Ok.......... some us or I should say most of us do not have the Super Duper Pooper Scooper Extra Fabulous Wonferful Buggy that can climb the Empire State Building idling in 5th gear! I am glad Mr. COOL in the Twisted Customs drove out the exit like it was not even there........ Impressed I am not. The trail would not exist if it were not for a group of dedicated people that accepted responsibility for it! Politics are a pain in the butt to deal with and some times compromises have to be made! Some may say that Indy in no longer difficult....... I call BS! For most of the offroad community it is plenty hard. For those that build these super buggy things.... stop the whining and enjoy the fact that the trail is open for you to use! Better yet build a mild vehicle and enjoy pushing it's limits!

Troy I agree. A super hard exit makes it likely to break big rigs. But let's be real. Compared to the exit the rest of the trail wasn't that bad. Now guys will see the exit and try to take smaller rigs thro patriot. Breaking more often. And now you have Joe shmoe and all his trash and fluids spilling over the trail. I'm waiti g for people to go 'fix' the cactus trails. Or start repairing Moab trails cuz it's too hard. I think they can piss off withthe 'fixes'. Cleanin up trash and debris is a great idea for the trails. Leaving a bunch of potentially dangerous rebar exposed for high horsepower big tire rigs to drive on is the most half assed thing I think I've ever seen. I mean we might as well pave trails now. They did it to slaughterhouse basically. It's just plain obnoxious.

And on another note. A hard trail should not be paved so dingleberry smith can take his yj on 32's and open/open thro it. He should stick to the trails his drivi g and rig can handle. Can't run patriot? Good. Stay the eff off of it. Do t ruin it for the guys tryi g to go bigger and harder. That's like making a drag strip down hil. With a wind at your back sothe slow cars can go faster. It's stupid. Pointless. Half ass. And annoying.

You're right, Mike, but I think Troy's point is that ENTRY obstacles serve the purpose of keeping the stupid and underequipped off of trails like Patriot, while EXIT obstacles encourage them to get stuck on the trail and get it closed for everyone... Maybe NAXJA should try and get some authorization to construct a wicked entry obstacle (and fix the naked rebar issues - which is just plain dangerous -- on the exit)...

I think entry obsticles sound like a kick ass idea. That first hill isn't a breeze but it's not impossible either. The rebar situation defi itely needs to be handled. Without a doubt

And on another note. A hard trail should not be paved so dingleberry smith can take his yj on 32's and open/open thro it. He should stick to the trails his drivi g and rig can handle. Can't run patriot? Good. Stay the eff off of it. Do t ruin it for the guys tryi g to go bigger and harder. That's like making a drag strip down hil. With a wind at your back sothe slow cars can go faster. It's stupid. Pointless. Half ass. And annoying.

Hey now! That better be a dig at YJ people and not people like myself with 32's and open diffs!:banghead:

If Dingleberry wants to attemp the trail then let him! I have seen it first hand..... funny to say the least! It is the overkill buggies that have jacked the trail up, not mr dingleberry! The buggies dug it out and moved rocks that were there in the first place! The exit was only restored to what it was like in the beginning with the rebar holding it fast. I agree that they should have covered it or done it different! This whole paving the trails thing is funny.......... Indy is not paved w/ the repair! If you want to complain about paving have a look at what used to be the V-Notch on Chinamans.......... SAD!!!!!!

The v notch on chinamans is another perfect example. Numnuts couldn't make it so they 'fixed' the situation.

The v notch is still there, your not forced to take that line because that rock moved. However, you can still take that line if you wish. Also did someone move that rock or did it fall from people running into it?

Back