• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nextel users??

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what good and bad you have to say about nextel. How's the service out in da boonies? I've had good luck with my verizon, but we're lookin' for radio's now. Let me know.

Sean

Verizon has the two way now also. I have verizon here in the poconos, the coverage is spotty and downright bad in some areas, my house included. The ones that seem to work are AT&T and Nextel, the troopers that cover our area use both but most have nextel. I looked at nextel but did not like the size of the units or the 'incar' options. I have my LG in a car cradle on my dash same as I had my motorola startac before. I'm coming up on two years so I'm heading towards trade in time for whatever is the new one, on all 4 phones that are on the family plan, hopefully they will have the two way feature on them. Save having to use cell and FRS when hunting or 'malling'...

OneTonXJ said:
I was wondering what good and bad you have to say about nextel. How's the service out in da boonies? I've had good luck with my verizon, but we're lookin' for radio's now. Let me know.

Sean

I used NEXTEL with my former employeer. They do not work well, if at all, outside of a major metropolitan area. The areas they do work in are loaded with "dead spots".

Rev

We've wanted to go nextel for years, but the coverage here in the boonies is down right miserable. If you go in & ask they will loan out demo phones for you to try the service. We use verizon, but also have to buy the car kits with external antenna's along with signal amplifiers to boost the phone up to 3 watt's. It's pricey, but it's the cost of doing business. For internal communication we use a local source with 800 megahertz motorola 2 way trunking systems. This gives us about an 400 mile range.

Matt

What everyone else has said seems to be true. For reference when we were in Attica there was no service. I think they are great in most city areas and on or near most freeways. But off the beaten path they just don't seem to work.

B-loose

Nextel=cities only!

Just switched to Verison after like 10+ years with Nextel! I did like the free incoming calls though!

hinkley

Well I live in Durand, We have Nextel service, I love it I will never go back to another service, I can't wait for the Verizon contract to end so I can switch the other phones over. I use them at work, infact I just ordered five more for the coming year. Sean, check out the Michigan coverage here.

They are a little more expensive than when they first came out but in 2000 I switched the company over to Nextel my Verizon bill, just my phone, was $1000/ per month. Now I pay $750 for 9 phones.

Last October I had our company Nextel in Moab along with my personal Verizon. My Verizon service was fine while I couldn't get anything on the Nextel.

The loaner phones would be nice and all if we were heading out on a journey anytime soon. We live/work in and around Dayton, it's a decent sized city so coverage all over here will be fine. Our main concern is when we're traveling, which we all do quite frequently, to out of the way spots. The folks need to stay in relative ease of communication as they both run businesses, I could care less as I don't want to be bothered much when I'm out and about. If something happens, I would like to be able to call for help though. Hmmmm, lots to ponder.

Had verizon for about 7 years (first cell phone). Only problem I ever had with Verizon was that they didn't have great coverage in some of the places I usually go to, so I would end up on roaming a lot. But other than that they were great.

When I moved to my current job, Verizon had no coverage here, so I switched to Nextel. Has some ups but also some downs. Nextel has great customer care, good coverage areas, good prices. Direct connect is very cool. BUT their no roaming network blows. Seriously, there have been numerous times when someone will try to call me and the call will go straight to my voicemail. My girlfriend and I tested it once, she called me a few times while I had a full signal and about half of the times my phone didn't even ring just went to my voicemail. That stuff pisses me off. They need to spend less money on marketing and nationwide direct connect and more on improving their network.

Sean, as stated before Verizon has rolled out their push to talk radio / phone & will be in direct competition with nextel. We demoed those unit's last fall & the radio service was fairley scetchy & took at least 10 seconds to connect. Since than they say it's gotten much better as they tweak the system, but it is new. Currantly the only phone that works on the new system is the motorola v60. It doesn't have all the cool new color & crap that's on these new one's, but it's a good solid phone. We've tryed just about every service out there & Verizon has been the best as far as getting a signal to call out on. Once they work the bugs out of their new radio feature we'll probably go that route also. If you guys are doing this through a business than deal with Verizon's business side rather than playing with the monkeys in the local store. Better deals & rates for multiple lines.

Matt

My Nextel works all the way from Detroit to Lafayette IN, if only they'd put a tower in Attica then I'd be all set.

I had a buddy that had front row seats at Daytona for the 500. He'd hold the PTT as the cars where coming around just to rub it in.

I have a nextel through work and along the major cities and highways they are great, like the radio feature but absolutely nothing outside of metro areas (moab, high uinta mountains) "can you hear me now" NO!!

I use a nextel in St Louis and the only problems I have are deep in the "hollers" out in podunkville or down in some folks basements. And my regular cell wont connect in the same places either so it aint nextel.

Sarge

We're looking at getting nextel's and keeping 1 of the verizons. We've got a meeting with Cincy Bell today and that's the last one. The verizon/motorola radio phones are too pricey right now when you compare to others.

Back