• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to jeeps, new to naxja

GPNmitch

NAXJA Forum User
Hey yall! my name is mitchell, im 16 and a junior in high school here in atlanta. my parents bought me a 2wd 2001 Black XJ about 6 months ago, and i started to get into wheeling and jeeps soon after. I took it up tothe north ga service roads a few times but now i wanna go bigger. my parents ok'd me to sell my jeep to find a 4WD one and i got a job to help pay for my lift and tires and all the other things i will buy for my next jeep.

recently, with some help from my pops, i installed a dynomax super turbo catback, 2 offroad lights from wally world, and a headunit. i decided i wanna be a mechanic when im older and i love learning about wrenching on my jeep.

here she is:
IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

can't wait to learn more about the best vehicles on earth!

Welcome to our nightmare:shocked:....... I mean addiction:anon:.......... I mean passion!!

Congrats anyways, that thing looks pristine! I myself am a mechanic in the Tennessee National Guard, so enjoy!

Brian

Welcome! Spend some time searching around on here for all your questions and i'm sure you'll find yourself up way into the early hours of the morning reading info.

What do you have planned as far as lift and tires go on your next Jeep? If you have an idea, we can give you some suggestions as to what to look out for (such as years, options, etc etc).

lol believe me, i'm already addicted, and my parents hate it!
if i can ever sell this one for a 4WD, my plans are:
-RE OR Rustys 4.5 lift
-Treadwright Guard Dog MTR's in 33inch flavor
-cragar v-5s
-AA SYE and Tom Woods Driveshaft combo

thats pretty much it for now, its gonna take me a while to be able to afford that anyway

Welcome to NAXJA and the SEC. Like Tim said, hang around, read and just absorb as much as you can. Ask questions and you will get help.

Good deal on getting a job and working for what you want. That is an excellent start.

Ahh nice nice! Sounds like you're gonna get off to a good start. IMO, I would find something no newer than 99...so if you wanna keep the style like you got now, that would be a 97-99. Anything pre-2000 had things like stronger front axles, cylinder heads that are not more prone to cracking, and distributor type ignition versus coil packs (which is what you have now).

Just my opinion, and everybody has their own opinion.

Good deal on getting a job and working for what you want. That is an excellent start.

X2 on that one! I took out a loan when I was 16 for my Jeep and while it was a pain in the ass to make payments for 4 years, I have a much greater appreciation for it now!

Go RENIX! They rock. Old and cheap just like me. 1987-1990.

hey im new to this, i just bought a 1992 jeep cherokee laredo. so far i am happy with it. i want it to be a nasty offroad truck. so far i changed my tank put a dynomax exhaust and hopefully for my 15th birthday i get the 4 and 1/2 inch rough country lift. is there any way to build my own roof rack?

Go RENIX! They rock. Old, well used, rusty, high miles, usually stinky, makes odd noises, marks their territory, far from attractive, rewuire alot of upkeep, and cheap just like me. 1987-1990.
fixed it for ya:kissyou:

Welcome to the playground. Beware of the "Free Candy" though...

Just read and search. Most anything you could want or need to know is here. There are many years of experience in the SEC and most are willing to lend an ear, advice, or even a hand to solve the issue.

Nice, on getting a job to support the addiction!! Just Empty Every Pocket...

These guys on here are the best!!!

fixed it for ya:kissyou:

Yep, that's why I like mine. Old, well used and stinky just like me......wait, that's not what I meant.

Last edited:
For now, my first choice would be a silver or black 1999 SE ( i love manual windows for some reason)

however, i am looking at all 97s+ with a preference to 98 and 99. This is my daily driver, and I like the aestetics of the 97+ interior. If anyone wants a 2001 XJ 2WD for a daily driver or whatever, look at mine:roflmao:

my parents and friends don't understand how someone can love a 3300 dollar beater so much, and pump so much money into and call it upgrades! they just wouldnt understand!

rrredalty said:
Go RENIX! They rock. Old, well used, rusty, high miles, usually stinky, makes odd noises, marks their territory, far from attractive, rewuire alot of upkeep, and cheap just like me. 1987-1990.

Well, if this applies to my MJ, then:
Old? Check!
well used? Check!
Rusty? Nope!
Stinky? Check!
Odd noises? Check!
Leaks like a sieve? Check!
Ugly? Check!
Lots of upkeep? Check!
Cheap? Check!

Looks like I'll fit right into the RENIX club.

For now, my first choice would be a silver or black 1999 SE ( i love manual windows for some reason)

however, i am looking at all 97s+ with a preference to 98 and 99. This is my daily driver, and I like the aestetics of the 97+ interior. If anyone wants a 2001 XJ 2WD for a daily driver or whatever, look at mine:roflmao:

my parents and friends don't understand how someone can love a 3300 dollar beater so much, and pump so much money into and call it upgrades! they just wouldnt understand!

Something else to consider is 99's were the first year for the redesigned intake (bigger intake)...a touch more power.

Something else to consider is 99's were the first year for the redesigned intake (bigger intake)...a touch more power.

They redesigned the intake mani to recover power lost from new emissions employed in '99. the power gain comes from putting the 99+ mani on older models.

Back