• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New speaker suggestions...

Hey all,

after owning my XJ for several years, I upgraded the head unit/cd player to a Pioneer DEH-P3000IB last summer, and now I'm wanting to do something with the speakers.

My door speakers are aftermarket Blaupunkt ones I got about 6 years ago when I replaced the factory tape-player with a Blaupunkt CD player. However, I wanted something that allowed me to play my ipod thru the stereo, hence the upgraded head-unit.

The new head unit has totally transformed my music, and while I love it, I worry my speakers won't be able to handle the higher power.

I want to upgrade to Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1s in the front and maybe also in the rear, but I don't know that I want to install the tweeters that come with them...will that have a negative affect on the sound?

Also, I finally mounted (but not yet installed) my JL Audio stealthbox with 10" JL sub. I have an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a2 amp that I am planning to use with it, but want to make sure that I get a capacitor or something installed when I have the amp/sub done b/c last time I had no end of problems with my battery going dead due to the sub/amp power draining it (I must've gone through 3 batteries in 6 months!)

So my question is, what will compliment my head unit and sub without costing a small fortune?

I mainly listen to rock, with some rap thrown in, but mostly it's rock/pop/top 40, etc so I don't want a huge amount of thunderous bass. I just want a really nice, clean, crisp sound. I also listen to a lot of CDs and my ipod, if that's any help.

Thanks in advance guys!

cheers2.gif

Also meant to add that I'm thinking of getting an Apline MRP-M350 amp for the sub.

And will I need a separate amp to run the Infinity speakers or can they run off my stereo?

boston acoustics, with crossevers...pricey but i put them in my tow rig and wow its amazing clarity.

if price is an issue i had good luck with infinity references in the jeep before it moved onto trail rig only

How much you want to spend makes a huge difference. I have had good luck on ebay buying nice equipment for fairly cheap.
If you get components you have to mount the tweeters or you wont get any highs and it will sound terrible. Your head unit alone will never have enough power to ruin your speakers. If you want really nice clean sound you should invest in good speaker wire with noise reduction like Monster cable. There are others that are cheaper monster is just an easy to remember one for me. Good speaker cable will make your bass smoother and everything more clear. Also running a separate amp for the components will help a lot. Again though its all in how much you want to spend. Sound dampening is awesome too!! Dynamat or the other comparable brands. $$$$$$$

Forgot to mention any good brands.
Focal is awesome
JL audio is awesome
I had a pair of JBL GTI components (basically the same as the infinity kappa perfects, both made by Harmon) in the front of my jeep and loved them because i got them after having the infinity reference speakers and they sounded amazing in comparison.
read reviews of a bunch of different brands and find out what people like most for rock and pop and all that make your decision off that info. Different speakers have different sounds.

I want to upgrade to Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1s in the front and maybe also in the rear, but I don't know that I want to install the tweeters that come with them...will that have a negative affect on the sound?

You will NEED and amp with those. The Infinity perfects are good speakers but they demand a lot of power. And yes, if you don't use the tweeters with the sound quality won't be as good as it should.

If you don't want to het another amp then the Infinity Reference series are good with just the head unit. I have Infinity Kappas in my XH (not the perfects) and while they do sound good with stock amp they definitely need more power.

Also, I finally mounted (but not yet installed) my JL Audio stealthbox with 10" JL sub. I have an old Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a2 amp that I am planning to use with it, but want to make sure that I get a capacitor or something installed when I have the amp/sub done b/c last time I had no end of problems with my battery going dead due to the sub/amp power draining it (I must've gone through 3 batteries in 6 months!)

That actually sounds like a problem with the amp not turning off when you shut the Jeep off. That or your alternator isn't pushing enough amps for the amp.

You will NEED and amp with those. The Infinity perfects are good speakers but they demand a lot of power. And yes, if you don't use the tweeters with the sound quality won't be as good as it should.

If you don't want to het another amp then the Infinity Reference series are good with just the head unit. I have Infinity Kappas in my XH (not the perfects) and while they do sound good with stock amp they definitely need more power.

That actually sounds like a problem with the amp not turning off when you shut the Jeep off. That or your alternator isn't pushing enough amps for the amp.

Yeah for some reason the amp wasn't turning off when I shut the Jeep off. Weird, I know.

that means the remote wire from the head unit is either not connected, or connected to the wrong terminal.

this. A power capacitor will do nothing about draining batteries.

What sizes are the factory speakers?

5.25"

6.5" will fit, although it seems like some people have said it requires slight modifications to fit in later models. 6.5" Pioneers fit fine in my front doors without cutting the doors at all.

I have 6.5" all around in my 2000. The front fit perfect and the rear needed to use an adapter ring that came with them and the cover as the stock cover would no longer fit.

i have a 2000 and my pioneer 6.5's fit fine in the rear deck with the factory guard on them...

Hey all,
Hey. I have perfect 6.1s in my front doors. They're a great speaker, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them. They're clear and sharp, but the aluminum also means they sound a bit... hmmm... sterile. I'm going back to a paper cone the next time around. My last car had RF Fanatic X 6.5" components. They had paper cones and their output had a nice, organic feel to them.

Also, like tayln said, 6.1s are a bit much for your headunit's built-in amp. 6.1s run 100rms, your head unit puts out 14rms.

You really won't need a capacitor for your set-up. Just take your Jeep to a competent stereo shop so they hook up your amp properly.

So my question is, what will compliment my head unit and sub without costing a small fortune?
I hear you on that one. Personally, I'm really satisfied with my Alpine V-Power amps. They're cheap, well made, and they don't overheat under the rear bench.

Does anyone have any experience on older RF amps overheating under the rear bench? B/c that's where I want to re-mount my amp.

older rf amps kick butt! used to be able to cook an egg on them and they'd still run. umm you could make a small(under $20) investment and wire a fan to the remote turn on switch, so it helps blow on the amp to keep it cooler than it would sitting w/o a fan...

Back