• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New speaker suggestions...

Does anyone have any experience on older RF amps overheating under the rear bench? B/c that's where I want to re-mount my amp.
I had a RF PUNCH 200a4 and PUNCH 500a2 in my last car. They were mounted in a tight
confine (like our benches), and they would overheat like crazy.

stereo-amps2.jpg

stereo-amps1.jpg

You are a wellspring of half-baked ideas.

i had a computer fan mounted on top of my 4 channel DEI amppushing cold air down onto the fins to keep things cooler, must of done some good i've ran the amp for the last 10 years everyday in my daily driver. and it was in the vehicle when i bought it so either my dei amp was just a really good quality amp or the fan did some good...

I had a RF PUNCH 200a4 and PUNCH 500a2 in my last car. They were mounted in a tight
confine (like our benches), and they would overheat like crazy.

thats a little more confined than what my bro had, he mounted them under the seat of a 85 chevy silverado, never had a heat issue, and he was powering 2 W3 12's

5.25"

6.5" will fit, although it seems like some people have said it requires slight modifications to fit in later models. 6.5" Pioneers fit fine in my front doors without cutting the doors at all.

My 97 has 6.5's from the factory but those are long gone. I am pretty sure the sound bar had the same size speakers too. I have 6.5 alpine's now. Since they are type-r's I had to cut the door panel to get them to fit since the magnet is so damn big.

It will, most likely, cut out on you all the time. You should really consider an alpine v-power amp (they're cheap on ebay). Nothing beats a nice, stealthy install IMO.

You can pound all day and an Alpine amp won't get hot.

It will, most likely, cut out on you all the time. You should really consider an alpine v-power amp (they're cheap on ebay). Nothing beats a nice, stealthy install IMO.

im assuming because all you've really owned is alpine that you think alpine is some magical amp? personally i've never found an amp to run cooler than my Percision power amps, i could pound the poop out of those amps for 2 solid hours driving to the beach, get there and put my face on the amp and not be burned.

theres alot to installation vs what you run, if you have a good quality 2-4 guage wire powering your amp and the same size wire for ground thats less than 18" long, your amp wont run as hot i dont think she will be pounding her system full blast like most guys do, but what do i know i dont know her or her listening habit's, but i do feel that unless shes putting a 800W RMS sub to a 500 watt amp... that its not going to be all that bad to put it under the seat and call it a day, aside from that, why not run the amp, see how it does, and if it works she saved 300 dollars, if not, you were right and she can buy an alpine just like you suggested...

So is the consensus that I shouldn't mount my current RF sub under the bench seats? :(

question... why cant you bolt it to the back of your box? its just a square box right?... you will have sufficient air that way no one will see the back of the box... why does it have to be mounted under the seat?

im assuming because all you've really owned is alpine that you think alpine is some magical amp? personally i've never found an amp to run cooler than my Percision power amps, i could pound the poop out of those amps for 2 solid hours driving to the beach, get there and put my face on the amp and not be burned.

theres alot to installation vs what you run, if you have a good quality 2-4 guage wire powering your amp and the same size wire for ground thats less than 18" long, your amp wont run as hot i dont think she will be pounding her system full blast like most guys do, but what do i know i dont know her or her listening habit's, but i do feel that unless shes putting a 800W RMS sub to a 500 watt amp... that its not going to be all that bad to put it under the seat and call it a day, aside from that, why not run the amp, see how it does, and if it works she saved 300 dollars, if not, you were right and she can buy an alpine just like you suggested...

question... why cant you bolt it to the back of your box? its just a square box right?... you will have sufficient air that way no one will see the back of the box... why does it have to be mounted under the seat?

You can't mount to the back of a stealth box. And most amps now don't run very hot. I've never had one overheat on me. I've had an audiobahn in my jeep for years. It was running 2 800watt subs for a long time and now it has 1 2000 watt sub and the only problem I've ever had was the electric fan dying and it still didn't overheat. I replaced it, but it went about 2 weeks of hard use without it. My honda has an older DHD Powercruiser amp mounted in a small enclosed space and I've never worried about it overheating either.

ohh... it looks like that Q logic box, or that jeep box you can buy =/ that box is pretty clean looking though even though its for a 10...

you think i can fit my 12 in there? =X

picsfromblackjack007.jpg

lol enough is never enough, i have one image dynamics IDMAX now and its not enough lol

it might be enough when i can make the rear view mirror vibrate and move in the car next to me lol

imma email jl audio and see if they will custom build me one... its worth a shot i mean its not like they just threw away the mold...
Actually JL audio was considering making another batch of those boxes provided there was enough interest. The problem was that thread was started on Jeepforum (a place where good ideas go to die). You should email JL to ask if their offer still stands and start a thread on naxja. I will vouch for the quality of these boxes; they're anything but wimpy.

Back