• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New build: Tealie

Nice! Hobag cages are awesome. I can't wait!

EFF YES!!

It was almost an uneventful trip, as I was slowing down to pull in the driveway the rear brakeline blew out on the Suburban. So now that's one more thing on the list before Redbird :(

I'm VERY impressed with the cage, it is put together awesome. I mentioned early in the thread that I wanted to be able to haul at least 3 people. You can kind of see in the picture Molly posted that one of the rear diagonal bars partially blocks the window in the back. However, I'm 6'3" and I can crawl back there pretty easy, and once back there I have plenty of legroom. Kudos to Hobag for building a cage that keeps the backseat usable, in a vehicle that already has no backseat room!

In the front seat I lost a little bit of space, I don't have quite as much reclining as I did before. I will get used to it pretty quickly I think. Worst case I will buy some aftermarket seats that are thinner, that should gain me an inch or two and I would have better provisions for running harnesses.

Got the outside painted last night, I'll do another coat tonight and then turn my attention to the inside pieces:

22C691BE-05B3-4548-8703-17BA5FEA3A85-25763-00000FF952437C71_zps5e3e246e.jpg

Things left to do:

- cut fenders
- measure and order Bilstein 5100s
- change the axle seats in the 44
- swap my transfer case with SYE
- install the front bumper and winch
- gather tools, fluids, spares, and organize everything
- new steering box, shocks, and brakes on the Suburban

That vid is full of win! Too bad Trixie had horrible cam skills ;)

yea yea yea, i'm late.... lol as i'm pretty clutsy anyway I'd say it's pretty good for walking backwards trying not to trip in the big ass holes. :D and it being my first attempt. Guess you need to teach me the art of taking a vid on the trails.

It's a good thing you got stopped....tealie did the same thing to me in the same place.

It's a good thing you got stopped....tealie did the same thing to me in the same place.

Probably caused by whatever is making that noise in your front axle... your imagination :D

New preformed stainless lines have been ordered for the burb... way more expensive than just buying 25' of steel brake line, but way less frustrating as well. Got a steering box and shocks on the way too.

Expensive day, but better than a payment I guess!

Your jeep not stopping caused a problem in my Jeep? :moon: I recall you changing a brake line the next morning!

I've seen you with both payment and no payment and you had to do work to all of them. Doesn't matter if you're paying for it or its paid off!

Your jeep not stopping caused a problem in my Jeep? :moon: I recall you changing a brake line the next morning!

I've seen you with both payment and no payment and you had to do work to all of them. Doesn't matter if you're paying for it or its paid off!

Oh yea, I guess I did have to fix that.

Well what can I say, just goes to show how good I am at buying stuff.

my burb is getting intake manifold gaskets done tomorrow... then maybe tires before the snow flies.

it's always something.

let me know if you need more of that primer.

btw: i'm diggin the cage.

I think I will always remember this build because it coincided with 2 months of my house being all tore up inside. Oddly enough it's all wrapping up at the same time. The house has flooring again as of last Friday, at which point I began some finishing touches... Yea right! I headed straight to the garage! :D

So on to the fun stuff. Got the cage painted!

1A0B1439-EB19-4517-AE85-F227E067F86E-31358-00001338A5482A4D_zpsc0b31e39.jpg

Then some bad luck. New brake lines for the Suburban didn't show up. So I had to grab a roll of brake line and half-ass it for now. Then all the bleed screws were seized, so I installed new wheel cylinders and calipers, and adjusted the drums, and bled the brakes, and activated the ABS a few times, and bled the brakes again, and now... I have average brakes.

The Bilsteins for the Jeep are also backordered, so that's something I don't have to worry about for now. I went on to try and install the bumper... not real close to fitting. Tried some shenanigans to pull out the crease in the frame:

B32C1D90-94CC-4AC7-912C-ED4ABC793400-44304-0000196B3325104A_zpsacb517b7.jpg

That didn't help a whole lot. I somehow managed to get a few bolts started, and ended up being able to use the sway bar mounting holes and the steering box mounting holes on both sides, so I have 6 bolts per side which I'm sure will be plenty. Looking good with the bumper mounted up!

6278F2FE-D4EA-4187-9B0B-736BC350ECA0-44304-0000196B49F6702F_zpsad89d57f.jpg

Also in the meantime I rebuilt my transfer case with the SYE, so that will go in tomorrow. Otherwise I just need to trim the fenders and throw it on the trailer to go wheeling this weekend. Everything else can wait until later! :cool:

Nice Dude!

Looks good from what I can see. I'd love to see more of the cage.

Back