• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Negotiating at a dealership

this is the key. Once walked out 5 times and actually had my kids in the trade in an buckled up before they believed me. Also go pre-approved or with a cashiers check, or cash.

I thought I had the deal int he bag....I told them I will go X amount of money and that is it..not one penny more...he came back and said they couldn't do it...I stood up, shook his hand and walked out...they didn't come after me or call or anything.... I was surprised.... Thinking about going back up there this weekend and try to talk to them again.

Another quick question I have...
Gonna go back up there tonight to deal with them again on the car. I am gonna offer them a price for the car and then tell them, I will just pay the taxes, tags, title, doc fee in cash. Now here is my question...Do I have to pay all of that upfront? I know I would have to pay the doc fee, but like the taxes, title, tags, can I just get a 30 day dealer tag and just go to the DMV before the 30 days are up and pay my taxes, title, fees? Because I am actually transferring a plate from my wifes old car to the new car if we get it.

I'd imagine you'd still have to pay that up front. If you were to have a trade in, that cost would essentially come out of the value they'd give you on a trade.

Whether or not you transfer a plate from your wife's car on the spot, or get a temp tag and wait 30 days, I don't think that changes the fees. You'd be better off just letting them transfer the tag. Let them deal with the DMV instead...

Either way, keep documentation in the glove box of the sale (bill of sale, written statement from the dealer stating it is your vehicle...etc) as sometimes the process can take several days with the DMV.

I transferred my tag from my old car and still kept a copy of the bill of sale in the glove box. That way if I happened to get pulled over for something and the plates on my Ford came back registered to my old Acura, I had proof that the car/plates weren't stolen.

I thought about trading in my wife's jeep but I dont think they would take a 93 jeep cherokee thats lifted and has 190k on it......

Yeah i would def would rather them deal with the DMV

I thought about trading in my wife's jeep but I dont think they would take a 93 jeep cherokee thats lifted and has 190k on it......

Yeah i would def would rather them deal with the DMV

They'll take it but they won't give you any money for it.... Trade in is like 1500 on on

I'd say the easiest way to get this done is to wait until you have enough cash saved up, or buy something that you can afford with the cash you already have.

I'd say the easiest way to get this done is to wait until you have enough cash saved up, or buy something that you can afford with the cash you already have.

No more car payments is always the best way to roll.

I'll drive beaters all day long before we owe the bank again

No more car payments is always the best way to roll.

I'll drive beaters all day long before we owe the bank again

I'd pay $2000 every 3 years for disposable cars. Even if you drop $500 a year in maintenance, you are saving money. My last loan was on the ZJ back in 1999. Paid $280 a month. Finally saved up $8000 and paid it all off around 2003 and haven't have a payment since - and we've bought 5 other cars in the last 10 years. Even dropped $12,000 on the WJ and paid cash - including the flight to Kansas City to pick it up.

Yep, the last car payment I had was back in 04. Never again.

I have such a hard time swallowing what it costs for a new car when a 5 year old car costs 1/4 of the price.

I'd drive a Prius before I bought myself a car payment...I encourage you to look at how much money you actually pay for a car that you "buy" for $14,000 if you make payments on it.

Well wife needs a new(er) car. She refuses to drop money into her jeep> we have done really well and I don't mind having a car payment...we should be able to pay it off early.

We went in last night to haggle again for that 2013 mazda 3. The guy would not budge at all. He offered to take off $74 to make it an even number and I got up and walked out.

I told him that Monday was the last day of the month and if you guys wanted to make a sale to meet your quotas....give me a call.

If you're offering cash/check in hand i would walk from this place. I got over 10 grand off the wifes new car.(2013) I did over 4 weekends of driving to fine the right deal.
Sorry for jumping in on this.
Don't tell them how much money you have to spend till you're happy with the price, then ask them how much if i write you a check today.Be 2 or 3 grand under what you want to spend.Wiggle room on your part.
My wife gets a new car every 5 yrs

^^^^^^ This was my state of mind....but everytime I threw out a number...they brought back a paper stating the same thing with the same price... he claimed that because it was the internet price of the car...they CANNOT go any lower than that....I have never heard of a dealership being so hard up on a price...I mean, I know for a fact the car has been there for about 3 weeks.

Car payments aren't the best thing in the world, but some don't mind.

For me, the peace of mind of having a new car with a warranty instead of a used car with somebody elses problems is worth a monthly payment.

Especially for somebody like me who drives a lot (20-25k a year).

Found one in Charlotte that I like...just don't want to waste my time driving to charlotte and them not come down on the price...dont know if they will talk price over the phone, but then again, I haven't even driven the car.

Found one in Charlotte that I like...just don't want to waste my time driving to charlotte and them not come down on the price...dont know if they will talk price over the phone, but then again, I haven't even driven the car.

If it's close enough to the price you want that you think you could get it for that price, and it's what you want, it can't hurt to at least look. Just bring your poker face and don't be afraid to drive back home like it never happened if they're not willing to deal.

If it's close enough to the price you want that you think you could get it for that price, and it's what you want, it can't hurt to at least look. Just bring your poker face and don't be afraid to drive back home like it never happened if they're not willing to deal.

called the guy and told him what price I was looking at and to contact whoever he needed to get me an answer on if they would be willing to play with the price...told him I didnt want do this whole back and forth thing...so I told him what I would pay and call me back and let me know if he think he can do it or not...told him, if so, Ill be up there first thing in the morning.

For anyone who cares. Went last night and picked up a brand new 2013 mazada 3 touring that was leftover from last year..... Was going after a used mazda 3, but I could get in a brand new one for $20 more month with the same term

Back