• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need welding help...

yhateanxj?

NAXJA Forum User
So, during our recent lovely snow storm, I acquired a cool sound. Will only make noise when turning wheels, kind of a pop...clunk. Upon inspection, I found 1 small, ( or what I thought was) crack above drivers side sway bar mount. I then noticed a really big one about 6" behind it, that was f2f airly significant. The sway bar crack actually runs through the "frame" between mounting bolts. I havent been able to fully inspect the other. But its a doozy.

I am hoping one of you guys has some spare time and a welder with skills that would be willing to let me bring my junk by for a repair. I can get steel, and could provide some cash, or pizza and beer, whatever is on your menu. I can assist in any way thats needed, whether it be a parts beitch or actual assistance on the project. Business has been slow due to winter and stuff so money is getting tight. I own a landscape company and could provide some landscaping, advice or work also for help.

What I'd like to do is remove hardware, v out the cracks, weld them, then add plate on both sides and bottom. Its roughly an area around 12-16" long by depth of "frame" rail. I am not a skilled welder, and wouldn't trust my structural welding skills on the thin metal. I don't have a welder, I don't have a shop, I don't have any steel, and I don't have much $. What i do have is a beautiful face, a beer belly and a busted jeep. I have hopes someone can accommodate my request who is close to the oregon city area, as I am not fond of driving it far.

I am a Welder by trade. if you want to hook up, I can take a look at it, and see what I think...My welds at work are X-rayed, and I have a few Certs, so I am confident I can help you out, but I would need to see what it looks like before I commit to welding anyhting on your jeep. if your interested my name is JAson 971-409-0454. I live near 122nd and foster.

Ok. I will contact you in tomorrow. I've seen way worse be repaired on dedicated wheeler xj's, so Ithink its easily salvageable, but ill leave that diagnosis up to a pro. If its at all possible to meet towards my direction it would help my sanity. Not super keen on driving it to far if I can help it. Dont want to cause more carnage.

I love seeing this, good job fellas!

Bronze.
Truth! This not only helps our community positively grow, but puts a good faith in your mind that people aren't always all about themselves. Its not often that total strangers will reach out to total strangers, and have those strangers reach out with a helpful response. But, we are all just a bunch of selfish, destructive hillbillies that destroy the forests. These communities we are a part of are epic. I have seen this happen many times on here, and other forums. People may have their differences, may not always get along, but we are a close community of friends and strangers that are willing to help regardless. Thank you NAXJA!

Thats what it's all about!
:yelclap:

sounds like you've cracked the frame near the steering box. you need this:
http://jksmfg.com/i-8938560-cheroke...1-steering-brace-system-driver-side-only.html

i bet the cracks are not isolated to the sway bar mount
yep, there is one crack above sway bar mount, and only one other about 10" behind it...so far. Rabitz and I are communicating on this ans am just trying to get the shop I have access to available. We are going to use 1/4" plate I believe, and sandwich the frame and put a plate running on bottom to.

I cracked my chassis at the sway bar mount as well, I threw that pos in the junk pile :) but anyway, because it's super think metal there I just turned my mig welded up a little and started before the crack so heat had a chance to build up, and welded Into the crack all the way to the end, for an easy fix on your sway bar mount you could also just drill some holes where the bolts were and bolt down a 1/4" piece of flat strap just so your less likely to flex there again.

As for 10" up as long as you started before the crack and worked into it you should be good... Hopefully rabitz used 7018 rod or mig equivilant for structural strength

I'm sure he used er70s-6 hard wire with a 75/25 steel mix or strait argon. As for stick welding a Cherokee unit body, I would use 6013 1/16th electrode between 35-45 amps. It's a low penetration fast setting electrode. A 60,000 tensile strength would be more then appropriate for this application.

Ya that's what I was thinking 7018 is a bit overkill for sheet metal
Its the main rod i use for field repair work but that's all 1/4" or thicker on my engine driven welder

Specfab I'm a rig welder as well so I understand it's overkill, but I 'd much rather have to weld it once and know it's ok and I put in stronger metal than what's there than to have to do it again later. Most of the time I'll use my flux core buzz box for thin stuff just because I can work the heat better

Because of my particular career, the 2 rods we use are primarily 6010 5p/5p+ or 7018 all that other stuff is just foreign to me :)

Back