• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some input on lockers

what locker to use

• ARB Locker

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • ZIP locker(yukon)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • ected (Auburn)

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
brief back ground front is a custom narrowed hp dana 44 rear is a xj dana 44. front axles are yukon hardcore inner's and stubs. have a detroit locker for the rear also will have cromo's. will have 4:88 gears need some advise on the locker for the front. i wheel in the snow mainly and some trails

I have a friend that has zip lockers in his TJ and has had nothing but problems with them mostly seals if I remember right. His were professionally installed by a very good shop so I don't believe that they were installed wrong. All I can say is I would do my research. I prefur ARB because they have been proven but I also like to different so good luck man its are hard decision.

I have a friend that has zip lockers in his TJ and has had nothing but problems with them mostly seals if I remember right. His were professionally installed by a very good shop so I don't believe that they were installed wrong. All I can say is I would do my research. I prefur ARB because they have been proven but I also like to different so good luck man its are hard decision.

Has he let randys know of the problems? He would be a very select few that have had issues with them.

Go selectable. I have an ox which works great and is reliable now once I converted it to air. I wouldnt recommand one though for that price tag. Honestly everyone seems to really like eaton electric lockers. Its a good quality unit from the same guys makin detroits and very reliable. And a trail repair on he wiring for a locker seems like an easier fix then repairing an air line.

Go selectable. I have an ox which works great and is reliable now once I converted it to air. I wouldnt recommand one though for that price tag. Honestly everyone seems to really like eaton electric lockers. Its a good quality unit from the same guys makin detroits and very reliable. And a trail repair on he wiring for a locker seems like an easier fix then repairing an air line.

Thank you for the info very helpful. I was thinkin ox. But I heard with driver side drops the cable is in a bind and makes alot of adjustment issues is that why you went with the air instead

Of the three you mentioned I would go with the ARB.

It is my understanding that ARB redesigned their D44 locker (as well as their D30 version) to eliminate some weaknesses.
The Zip locker is pretty much a copy of the earlier design ARB (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/old-school-d44-arb-rd06-whats-big-diff-934769/ )

The Ected really isn't a true locking diff.
The way it operates is, an electromechanical solenoid compresses the (full time) limited slip clutch pack, locking(?) the spiders together.....it's really relying on the friction of the clutch packs and as those wear, lockup efficiency falls off.
You said you wheel in a lot of snowy conditions.....do you really want a clutch type LSD compromising your steering on the icy roads (I assume) you drive?

Anyway, just my 2 cents---------Hans

X2
That's what I want, and it's a posi when not locked. Posi Should be good in the snow and locked on the rocks...

All I know is lsd sucks in the snow. I never ran my welded diff in the snow, but my lsd is horrible. Its open, then its not, then it is. There is nothing more frustrating than being close to a ledge making progress with one tire and having the damn diff lock up and kick a tire over the edge.

I would go eaton. Locked or open. You always know what you have.

I have nothing against arb I know there stuff is strong. But compressed air in the snow is a bad idea. They would be alot better if you could blow them down. As they are designed anything that gets down there (water) stays.

Not that an arb won't work fine I am just a little more comfy with electric.

Personal opinion: ARB stands for AlReady Broken....I have met alot of people running them and almost always had problems with them working properly. Actually my opinion doesnt mean much because I am running a Powertrax No-Slip "lunchbox" locker in the rear and a Yukon Spartan, also a "lunchbox", in the front....but I never have to worry about wether or not they function properly because they ALWAYS function exactly as they should.
If I were to build a set of axles, 44's or 60's, then I would probably spend the extra money on a selectable locker, probably electric.

I would go with a lunch box locker, no reason to spend the extra money on a selectable if yyou can unlock the hubs.

Thank you for all the info keep it coming. I would like to hear from someone who is using an arb

You might pm FiveNdime he has ARB's front and rear and loves them.

ARB has awsome customer service. I now lots of people that run them and have had no problems in any conditions. The one thing we ran into in moab was that they wouldn't unlock on the rocks but that's because you get such good traction that everything is in a bind so it can't unlock. Every locker of this type does the same thing. The other thing to think about and you know this rugar81 there are times in the snow were open and open is better than being locked.

You might pm FiveNdime he has ARB's front and rear and loves them.

ARB has awsome customer service. I now lots of people that run them and have had no problems in any conditions. The one thing we ran into in moab was that they wouldn't unlock on the rocks but that's because you get such good traction that everything is in a bind so it can't unlock. Every locker of this type does the same thing. The other thing to think about and you know this rugar81 there are times in the snow were open and open is better than being locked.
Very true !!

I have an arb in a ford 9in in a land cruser. its been in there for about 10 years.the problms I have had are compresser got worn out, so I put on onboard air that ran 110-130# of psi. the locker said max of 80 psi (if I rember right) so I had a O ring go bad, but it was more worn out than blowen out, and I had a valve go bad,but that was an eletric part. I have never ripped out the line,the only time I had air line issues was when I had a fire behind the seat that melted the line. I play in snow,sand and water as much as I can. I hope that is what you are looking for.

Thank you for all the info keep it coming. I would like to hear from someone who is using an arb

I have an arb in a ford 9in in a land cruser. its been in there for about 10 years.the problms I have had are compresser got worn out, so I put on onboard air that ran 110-130# of psi. the locker said max of 80 psi (if I rember right) so I had a O ring go bad, but it was more worn out than blowen out, and I had a valve go bad,but that was an eletric part. I have never ripped out the line,the only time I had air line issues was when I had a fire behind the seat that melted the line. I play in snow,sand and water as much as I can. I hope that is what you are looking for.

Thank you. You answered a very important ?.. it was the max psi im going to be getting a viair super duty oba system

PM'd :D

You also cant beat the awesome.....and I mean AWESOME service from ARB. There customer service is superior to any other company I have purchased parts from period.

Take the time to read the post im building a 44 hp it has locking hubs

I took the time to read the post. I was asking if you went manual or if you had the auto hubs on. Disco means you can disconnect your front axle from a drive source. I still would go spartan. If you are running a selectable out back then it makes up for a lot of the possible winter driving issues. Spartan allows you the comfort of a locker without having to worry about air or electrical issues at the axle. Sometimes air lines or electrical lines can become severed and then your stuck out on a back trail hoping you can get pulled back to some place to work. Trust me. Being knee deep in snow is not a great place to have to diagnose a selector issue.

hubs in the front... why not do a full spool? save the money and its stronger.

Back