• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice on new wheels & tires

Ronhawkins

NAXJA Forum User
This is what I'm currently running...

Jeepshotforweb.jpg

I want to go with a black wheel, probably something like this:

112345-md.jpg

I have a few questions:

15" or 16"?
Width?
What backspace?

And what all-terrain tire do you guys prefer?

Sorry if these are all dumb questions, I just have no idea what would be the best way to go...

Are you planning on doing any lift?There are more tires available in 15" than 16"!

This is all assuming you don't plan on lifting it.

Stock backspacing (5.25"...maybe a 5" if you can find it)
15x7
235/75/15 (~29")
General Grabber A/Ts or BFG A/Ts.

I've run these size on two jeeps at stock height and never rubbed but was slightly bigger/more aggressive.

This is all assuming you don't plan on lifting it.

Stock backspacing (5.25"...maybe a 5" if you can find it)
15x7
235/75/15 (~29")
General Grabber A/Ts or BFG A/Ts.

I've run these size on two jeeps at stock height and never rubbed but was slightly bigger/more aggressive.

Agreed. If lifting, that information is required to recomend tires. Also, what year is the XJ? What condition is your suspension in? aka, are the rear leafs sagging much?

I had a set of 30x10.50s (I believe they were 10.50.. maybe 9.50) ATs which were nice, looked pretty good on a stock XJ though I would have probably gone with 29's if I did it again.. but that was because my rear suspension was sagging quite a bit. If I went over a bump on the highway with gear in back and people in the back seat it would rub quite a bit (hell, a good enough bump w/o the people caused rubbing).. though mine was sagging BAD. Also agree with the 15" wheel, much better tire selection.

Its a 2001 and I can't decide on a lift. The back is sagging about an inch or so.

When I first bought it I didn't want to lift it...but now that I've had it a while I kind of want to...nothing major, perhaps 2"...

You might be able to find a set of the newer stock 5 spoke steel wheels and paint them black.
I would say 15x8's, 3.75-4" BS, 235/75R15's will fit stock height. 30x9.5s most likely fit, maybe rub on turns/flex some bumps.
Cheapest way to lift how 2" is a set of ZJ V8 Upcountry coils (net's about 1.5-2") you could also add a small spacer or another coil isolator. And for the back, I would say pick up some S-10/Dakota leafs and make a Bastard pack for the rear and maybe an extended shackle.

Back