• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need quick help, simple Noob question.

CraigC

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed my SYE with a front XJ driveshaft. Right when I finished I noticed that on the double cardan unit one of the grooves where the clip that retains the bearing cup goes is broken, and it's missing the clip. There is nothing to retain that bearing cup. Obviously it would be unwise to drive it like that.

My question... is it safe to remove my rear driveshaft and put the t-case in part time 4WD and drive it as a front wheel drive until I can get a replacement for the damaged part? It's a 242 t-case if that makes any difference.

How would it be unsafe? My question was more from a mechanical standpoint. I'd assume that with the t-case in part time 4WD it wouldn't even know the rear shaft wasn't there. It would just drive the front and rear output shafts at the same speed, giving me FWD.

You asked i gave a opinion,a 4wheel drive was designed with 2 driveshafts for a reason..i can see it if your on a trail and broke and had to get it back to a road.i assume yours is at your house in a driveway so why not just got pick up parts to repair it..

You asked i gave a opinion,a 4wheel drive was designed with 2 driveshafts for a reason..i can see it if your on a trail and broke and had to get it back to a road.i assume yours is at your house in a driveway so why not just got pick up parts to repair it..

And I appreciate your willingness to offer an opinion, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with it, but I'm interested in the logic behind it. You're right that it was designed with 2 driveshafts for a reason, but that sure doesn't necessarily mean that it can't be operated with only 1 as a temporary measure. While I am new to Jeeps I'm hardly new to the automotive world, and I'm really having a hard time figuring out how it would be unsafe to operate it as a FWD until tomorrow. That's why my question is really about the mechanical issues.

I'd go and get new parts if I could, but the place I bought it from isn't open today and I'd like to talk to them in the morning to see what they want to do about it before I go and buy stuff elsewhere.

In an emergency situation only, like if you bust a rear drive shaft on the trail and need to get home. It will handle funny, it will work as long as you don't make real tight turns on hard surface.

What I would do is just weld the cap in place, maybe 6 or 8 tacks would hold it until you can pick up another shaft.

It will handle like crap. I finished Poison Spider Mesa in Moab with front wheel drive only. While I wouldn't recommend running in front wheel drive all the time, it should be fine. Just remember it is going to handle significantly different.

He has a SYE, so he should be good to go without leaks from the output. I would still consider tacking the caps, the if the snap ring groove is busted out then the piece is trash anyway. You can buy another used shaft cheaper.

Here's an idea that nobody's seemed to think of. He said he just got done installing a SYE with a front shaft that was bad. Why not just simply take the bad one out and instead of driving with front shaft only (bad idea) take the good front shaft and put it in the back.

Thanks guys. At this point I don't have to go anywhere between now and tomorrow. I'll just take my fiance's XJ and go get a new driveshaft tomorrow morning.

When I was younger, my best friend Did this quite often with his Sami on 35s, and his Ramcharger with 36s. It is not a good idea for long term use, but driving for a few days should be fine. My friend never had a problem with his t-cases, but after 3 months of dd his Sami he busted the front axle. So as long as it is very temporary and you take it real easy, you should be AOK!!!

Good luck and take it easy
Matt

Here's an idea that nobody's seemed to think of. He said he just got done installing a SYE with a front shaft that was bad. Why not just simply take the bad one out and instead of driving with front shaft only (bad idea) take the good front shaft and put it in the back.

DING! DING! DING! we have a winner!

is the solution really so simple that all of you have overlooked it so far?

Back