• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need axle opinions

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and thought and I cannot make up my mind about what axles to put under my 89 Cherokee. I do have some experience welding and fabricating some parts, but I have never done any kind of modifications to axles. I have thought about every combo from HP 44/ 9 inch to waggy 44's, to 60's. I still cannot decide. The latest idea I had was to put an XJ 44 in the rear and build the 30 in the front, but that just seems like a waste of money to try and build the 30 to hold up to the kind of abuse it will see. The simplicity of keeping XJ axles is that they are bolt on and I can still use an XJ lift without any axle modifications. What do you guys think about axle combo's and lift ideas?

Thanks
Chris

What size tires, how is it used, and how much do you want to spend?

What kind of abuse is it going to see? I've run 32's w/ Lockrights and 4.10's for a wuite some time and have abused them about as hard as possible. The rr. I've broken a couple times, the frt. only one c/v axle shaft. The terrain may make a difference. We don't have the rocks to the extent of the southwest, and where we do they don't provide as much traction. I wouldn't spend a lot of money unless you start braking parts regularly. I'm building a rr. 44 for my TJ right now, and hopefully it will be enough for 36's an still take plenty of abuse. It's costing more than the total of all my mods to date. And it's starting to snowball into a bunch of other mods, which adds to the cost exponentially.

The tire size is going to depend on the axles, but at least 35's. I would like to run some 38's if I can get enough axle under the Jeep to handle it. This Jeep is going to go to Tellico pretty often and see some trail time. I have been pretty careful with my other Cherokee about breaking things, so I know when to go easy on the gas. I am more worried about turning some serious tires with at least 4.88's and locker.

tnxjjeeper said:
The tire size is going to depend on the axles, but at least 35's. I would like to run some 38's if I can get enough axle under the Jeep to handle it. This Jeep is going to go to Tellico pretty often and see some trail time. I have been pretty careful with my other Cherokee about breaking things, so I know when to go easy on the gas. I am more worried about turning some serious tires with at least 4.88's and locker.

Well, a Ford HP D60 and GM 14 Bolt running full width would be kind of sexy with 38s.

roughly this is what i have gathered in reading and doing my own research -

d30,35, 27 spline 8.25 - up to 31 safely, 32 unlocked
d44/toy 8"/ford 8.8/29spline 8.25 (with d30 up front) - up to 33 - 34 with moderate safety
d44 with alloys/Toy 8" with alloys(d44 up front) - up to 35-36
anything above that and your in full size truck land Via
Ford 9" D60, D70, 14 bolt (with HP d44 up front till around 37 - then you want bigger)
and at some extreme point way beyond what i ever want:
Mog axles

being as your looking at at least 35 most likely 38 - then plug your d60 front and rear end of choice now.
Im planning to stay full width once i ugrade - to keep parts availability and for a larger track width.
that is another thing to look into. Aslo gears dont always work out - the lowest gear the 8.25 has are 4.56 (the right ratio for 33" tires)
Toy 8" ring gear and pinion contact is to little after about 5.29
D30 ring gear to pinion contact is questionable at 4.88 (right ratio for about 35's)
your delema is easily solved by lookign at unit bearing wear - a d30 cannot handle 35's - you'll be replacing unit bearing all day long.

These are all of what i have found - Of course you can always run 35" tires with 3.55 gears...

I have been considering full widths, but everything is so expensive. I would like to run 60's, but the are too much. I have looked at some 14 bolts for the rear because they are pretty cheap. The rear shouldn't be a problem, I will just have to weld on new spring pearches to the right width. The real problem I will have in the front is matching a suspension with the set up of the axle. It would be easy if I could put an XJ lift on, but that would most likely involve some serious modifications to the front axle. The only easy solution there would be to run leafs in the front, which I have thought about.

Chris

Chris,
I am kinda thinking the same as you. I am currently running a d44 in my rear and I am getting ready to toss an Aussie Locker back there. I have been shopping for HPd44's out of the 70's F-100 or F-150 for my front,trimmed accordingly and then using waggy shafts. I plan on running 35-37" tires and having it locked in the front as well..Probably running 4.88 gears (Maybe 4.56, but hmmm)
From everything I have read those HP44's should be able to take quite abit of abuse and parts shouldnt kill you.
Just sounded like we were at similar build up points so I thought I would toss in my .02 cents.

me and my buddy are buildin a crawler out of a 93 zj stickly for off road and were puttin d60s front and rear. they already have 4.10s in em and were gunna see how that works with 39s. it should be pretty sweet. already got the 4 link set up front and rear but its prob gunna come down to re gearin with at least 5.13s or the equivilent. should be fun :D

bigredjeep said:
me and my buddy are buildin a crawler out of a 93 zj stickly for off road and were puttin d60s front and rear. they already have 4.10s in em and were gunna see how that works with 39s. it should be pretty sweet. already got the 4 link set up front and rear but its prob gunna come down to re gearin with at least 5.13s or the equivilent. should be fun :D
round these parts - 4.10s are about the gears for 31's and 32's

Well I think have the rear taken care of. I am hopefully going to pick up a FF 60 for the rear. Now the fun part. I don't have any idea what to run up front. Most of the 60's for the front I have seen are very pricey. What would you think about running a HP 44 up front? I don't know what else there would be to swap in.

Thanks
Chris

tnxjjeeper said:
What would you think about running a HP 44 up front?
gonna lock it?
Dana 44 is the "common" front axle swap... HP vs LP with the 4.0L isnt going to be a problem, but HP will give you a little more clearance and have a better driveshaft angle...

Back