• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAC Meet and Greet- Our Weekend at the Junkyard!!

I just pulled the front sway bar with disconnects off that burgundy jeep this Saturday, I left the springs but may go back for them. I wonder why nobody grabbed those?

Andy - Whats up with the remaining XJ's in that side yard? I was very polite in asking and was given a serious attitude by the guy in the booth, he said there are jeeps in the yard and the others could not be touched. He's a little rough around the edges, but yeah he was sort of a D*ck. But are they dropping motors in them and selling them off? I saw an amost completely assembled black 99 or so with Eco wheels ready to go?

I already had front springs.. and those disco's are noisy when you are running down the road...

I really should have pulled the front lower control arms though, I thought about it, but the prices were too high, I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

I just pulled the front sway bar with disconnects off that burgundy jeep this Saturday, I left the springs but may go back for them. I wonder why nobody grabbed those?

Andy - Whats up with the remaining XJ's in that side yard? I was very polite in asking and was given a serious attitude by the guy in the booth, he said there are jeeps in the yard and the others could not be touched. He's a little rough around the edges, but yeah he was sort of a D*ck. But are they dropping motors in them and selling them off? I saw an amost completely assembled black 99 or so with Eco wheels ready to go?

The motors were pulled out of those Jeeps to get to the tranny/t-case. They pulled the entire thing as one piece and scrapped the motors. THere is no possible way they can do anything with those Jeeps now, besides dispersing them to all of the other yards and parting them out. Those Jeeps are slated to be crushed...

Also, those Jeeps are NOT in the SHortys U-Pull-It yard, they are in a storage yard. Our club was given special access to that yard, but it IS NOT open to the public. Please stop and ask at the office before entering. Unless you asked first, you entered that yard illegally. I am guessing that is why Bruce gave you attitude. You can try to go back to get those springs, but ask him first next time.

No idea why more parts (LCA's, front coils, disconnects...)weren't pulled off the TWO lifted XJ's that were in the yard.... I have to assume noone needed the parts...

Thanks for the reply Andy! I most certainly did ask, by no means did i just walk over to the yard, I've been there before, I know if you don't pay your $2 (or speak English) they tackle you at the gate... lol

Yeah I'm not complaining, just curious. I even mentioned NAXJA and said I wasn't able to make it to the event (even tried to strike up a friendly conversation by asking how it went and if there was a good turnout) but yeah I got nowhere fast.

They did bang me for 31.20 for the sway bar and diso's... I thought sway bars were $5... lol They probably would have priced the springs at $50 - So yeah no thanks...

Yeah, it's giving me fits, all right. I will concede that I may not have done all that great a job on it, though. Now that I have a spare (culled from a 93 at the yard on Saturday), I can work out how to get into it and figure out what's really amiss. Maybe I'll get lucky and just have to recrimp a couple connections.

Well, time to bring this bulkhead connector saga to a close - since my summer work schedule kicked in and gave me today off, I spent the morning replacing the bottom connector on the bulkhead with the one I picked up at the "strip club", and in the process discovered that it was darn lucky the thing actually got me home.

Seem that two of the wires going into that connector were completely rotted away - the 10-gauge red one and the bottom left one (if you're staring straight at the back end of the thing where the wires enter) literally fell out of the connector when I touched them - and a couple other ones were badly oxidized. For the life of me I don't know how it actually worked to get me home that evening. Guess I had someone on my side that night.

A couple hours' steady work with a pair of cutters, a crimper, a long-nose barbecue lighter, and a bunch of heat-shrink splices, and no more bad connections. Even spliced together the wires going to the remains of the ballast resistor while I was under the hood, which I'd been meaning to do for a while now.

I'm glad I sprung for those splices - having the heatshrink and heat-activated sealer built-into the splice connectors saved me futzing with separate heat-shrink tubing. Have to get some more so I have some of each on hand if I need more...

Yeah man...Electrical gremlins are a pain...but glad u got it all worked out...

Back