• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAC does the Mohawk Valley

OK, well i'm not able to fix the transfer leak this weekend. The front input seal differs from 88 which my 242 is and the 94 (year of XJ) which he had for me. I wont have the seal till monday.

In any case, i'll be installing a hitch,and new water pump today.

Eagle, i have to speak with you. There is a guy in CT who has a YJ frame for me that i'll probably pick up friday night. The front clip i found is now home.

Almost ready & Raring to go...

I'm installing my fuel pump this week, so I'll be there Friday night with Pete as my co-pilot, as far as I know. Last I heard, he still had a broken Jeep as usual.

Success!

Fuel pump is in (cutting a hole in the floor was easier than I had anticipated... now all I have to do is make a plate to cover the hole!) After a jump from the ol' MJ, the XJ finally started. So, it looks like I will definitely be there. Pete & I are staying at Mt Graylock campsite #1, arriving between 9 & 10 pm on Friday. So unless anyone is staying there, we'll see you all at the meeting spot Saturday morning.

Although I haven't been able to get ahold of Earle to confirm logistics, the BBQ will go on as planned. Burgers & dogs Saturday night at the base camp, I figure $5 per head should cover it.

Info

Someone inform me on what is going on... I have been on vacation all week... I need dates, times, directions.... I will prolly only make it for sat... if even that.
~Joe~

Whats going on.

Joe R, pronounced Joe'er :)

There is about 3 maybe 4 from this forum going, and Earl has about 4 or 5 other XJ's going. Bring your XJ, the Old Florida Road is not as bad as Eagle made it out to be. There is like three obstacles and if you are "open" you can be winched over them. It’s a town road for God’s sake! It’s a Blue 2 at Paragon. You could do more damage in your back yard. :)

We are meeting at the "Big Y" on Route 2 in North Adams MA. at between 8:30-9:00. People are camping at the Mohawk Trail State Forest for $10 per night per site. 1-877-422-6762. If you get to the camp ground before 5, you can go on an evening ride.

Steve

hahah funny

Funny you said that backyard thing... I had to get a new hood and fender due to that incident with the tree in my backyard.... lol I am going to try to make it... if I'm not there exactly between those times, leave without me, I tend to be on time always... Um yea, I will see what happens... Will strive to get sat off..
~Joe~

Good news

I got Friday off and Saturday... looks like I am making it... I guess I'll meet you guys up there... is anyone staying at the mohawk sites on friday night?
~Joe~

Directions

How do I get to the Mohawk Trail Campground? thanx
~Joe~

I think I'm the only one back from Old Florida Road today (the rest of the boys were still camping and wheeling tonite I think) and I have to say -

Good Job Earl.

Got off to a slow start this morning due to Lawn Cher taking the scenic route to the meeting place (where have we heard THAT before?), but Earl did a great job of getting all of the "locals" there on time and guiding over the 'town road' where eagles dare (not) fly!

Beautiful weather in the Berkshires, fun trail with just enough difficulty w/o getting too crazy. In fact, all of us had to be helped over the first obstacle - the wet and the rock were too much for a consistent good line. Of course, I would have done a better job if I had remembered to unhook the sway bars, but probably wouldn't have made it anyway. LawnCher took his normal, unholy line and ran out of room, and Broken XJ wishes his OX wasn't broke. But, we got by, which is more than could be said for the Mitsubishi's behind us

Joe R in particular did a good job running the trail and also succeeded in yanking Broken XJ out of the muddy pit he dug himself into. In Broken's defense, he was the only one brave enough to try the rightside line, "which nobody makes" -and it still holds true. (Middle line as well, especially for the yellow TJ that was following us - he has to thank Peterbuilt for almost going swimming to get the strap to him).

I had to cut out early to get back to my Mom's house in Vermont, but the guys probably hit another trail this evening, or Sunday morning. And hopefully someone else can follow up with some more stories.

Once again, Earl did a very good job of putting this together, so maybe the next time we can get more than the seven XJ's that were there. It really is an appealing part of New England, and the trails are there to be run!

Mike in NJ

Mike

I have one correction to make to your post. I was the only one to make it up the first obstacle of Old Florida Road without any assistance from the winch. I guess it was my BFG A/T's.... lmao... and yes, I DO have OPEN Diffs.... But yea anyways,

Earle, EXCELLENT Job!!!

I mean, this ride was definately the best trail ride I have ever been on... The people that happened to make the run were definately all cool people. But anyways, I am glad to have made the trip, and will be back up there in no time if the word arises. The Friday night ride was fun with some tougher spots because of the damp conditions. NAXJA seriously needs to get a yearly event up in Mass. The trails are endless, and the people in the area support wheeling. I hope more of you guys that didn't make it come next time.

~Joe~

I'm sorry I missed it. I had to get up at 3:00 a.m. to be there by the appointed hour, and when I woke up after just 3-1/2 hours sleep I was so tired I could hardly stand. All I could think of was that bus driver who crashed the bus and killed 5 people trying to drive on 3-1/2 hours of sleep. It just didn't make sense to risk it. I hope there's a next time, and I'll make every effort to be part of it.

Meanwhile -- don't forget NAC is heading to Maine in October. Stay tuned for more details.

Great time for all.

Thanks to everyone on the ride, we had a great time. Earl has done a great job mapping this place and connecting with locals/rangers to make sure everything is cool.

Earl, Joer, and I did a Friday evening ride on this trail called "Top of the World" which was awesome. We have to show you guys this next time.

The cast of characters:
1) Earl (Chicken Run) from R.I. - Our fearless trail guide. Earl talks with everybody and networks so well he doesn’t need an Internet.

2) Myself with 3 12-year old boys, and an OX locker that has never worked. I know if I didn't have 500 lbs of fat kids, I could have gotten another 6 feet in that mud pit :)

3) Anthony from Albany (non-NAXJA), who had a built 88' XJ with the shiniest 31x9.5 swampers you even saw. I didn't know Armorall could do that to a swamper?

4)Tim from Conn(non-NAXJA), 98XJ 3" lift, open, w/ 31's with donut for a spare :) and his reply was that he had two cans of fix-a-flat :) Good guy, but Joer humiliated him. I also beat him in the biggest wrench contest in the "Big Y" parking lot. He will be back.

5) Joe R. had a great week-end. His XJ defied its openness. Tim thinks he has a limited slip, and I was checking for a hidden ARB in the rear :). He did it all weekend, even on Friday the day before. He made it up the 1st ledge on the Old Florida Road, while everyone else took the winch cable. Including Earl (locked front and rear, w/ 33 TSL's). This is beauty of jeeping, and what makes it fun. Because there is no such thing as a perfectly setup Jeep. I think Joer should just retire now, and go out on top. :)

6) Mike from NJ, "It's just a 3" lift, with a junk-yard limited slip." This is a perfect case a wolf in sheep’s clothing :) Mike had no problem with the trail, and had a great pull to get me out of the mud hole at the end of the trail. I hope there is pictures posted.

7.) Lawn Cher, w/ PeterBuilt riding shotgun.
Mark wanted to show us that he had calculated the "Center of Gravity" on his XJ buy balancing it on the cross member and spinning it around on the first obstacle. I love the rock rash on the hood, don't change that!

I'll see you guys at Paragon on July 13,14.

Steve

Re: Great time for all.

[quote:6796bc5bf4="BrokenXJ"]
Joe R. had a great week-end. His XJ defied its openness. Tim thinks he has a limited slip, and I was checking for a hidden ARB in the rear :). He did it all weekend, even on Friday the day before. He made it up the 1st ledge on the Old Florida Road, while everyone else took the winch cable. Including Earl (locked front and rear, w/ 33 TSL's). This is beauty of jeeping, and what makes it fun. Because there is no such thing as a perfectly setup Jeep. I think Joer should just retire now, and go out on top. :)[/quote:6796bc5bf4]

As someone recently noted in another post, this is what the late Granville King (a.k.a. the Desert Fox) called "driving elegant."

Joe R wrote:

[quote:938f1733ed]I have one correction to make to your post. I was the only one to make it up the first obstacle of Old Florida Road without any assistance from the winch.[/quote:938f1733ed]

I stand corrected.

You know, I THOUGHT you made it up unassisted, but I was distracted in the back airing down (the other thing I forgot to do) and wasn't quite sure. Sorry in assuming that you were as inept as the rest of us in our supposedly better equipped rigs.

But I am hurt :cry: that you said this was the best run you were ever on. I thought the job I did for you guys on the green run at NacFest was the top! I saw how big your eyes got on that off camber section on Foundations trail.:shock:

But, once again, you did an extremely good job on Old Florida - well done!

I stand corrected

Yes, Mike, that is 100% true!!! I forgot!! lmao Yes, my eyes did get very big... You have no idea how scared I was!! hehe Thanks for the help through there... :)
~Joe~

Back