• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Turn

Jim I ended up going to Office Depot and finding a trash can and making an inner fender. I didn't have to heat it up. I think it looks fine. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll get some pictures this weekend.

A friend of mine got a Scrambler and it looks cool. A trip that I would like to do if I continue to enjoy the motorcycle is to Alaska as well as lots of stuff here in CO. I think a KTM 690 would be perfect for that. I'm sure I'll keep this Honda for quite a while and after I get the motor done this winter I hope to do more touring with it next summer. As much as I don't want another street bike, there is a big part of me that really would like to do another project (a bobber this time with a springer fork) with a Harley or an older Triumph motor.

Kyle that might not have been me you saw. I'm back at work now and haven't ridden it in a bit because of these afternoon storms. I work up by Briargate and don't ride it to work unless I'm all but guaranteed sunshine in the afternoon. Most here will find this surprising but I HATE when the bike is dirty.

Not a lot to update on this thing but I do have a billet top clamp on the way and, while I'm waiting for it to arrive I decided to make a new ignition mount. I used angled aluminum.

After some work.

Here it is bolted to the frame.

I don't know if I'm happy with it but once I get the new top clamp I'll decide. I hope to make a lot of progress this winter and finally get the new cylinders (with oversized pistons and new rings) installed, with the new head. I also have rear set pegs on the way and will have to figure out how to mount them up. More to come as parts get in and time allows.

Bike's been mostly hibernating but I've done a few things to it and wanted to update this thread.

Several months ago I ordered this new top clamp.

I bought this because I thought it would look nicer and it would also allow me to have a bit more adjustability with the clip on bars. The issue I ran into was that it was more thick than the stock one and this moved the forks up just a tad higher and I was right back to square one with the front fender being too close to the header. I really wanted to run this motogp pipe with the front fender and I'm just not gonna compromise. So I decided to go back to the stock clamp. Once I knew that was going to happen I decided to do a slightly different ignition mount. Here's the new mount I made.

While I was at it I also tok the paint off the stock clamp and did a brush finish on it. I was going to polish it but it would have been a royal PITA and I didn't want it to look half a$$ed. I also cut off the lower bar clamp area. I'm much happier with this now.

Other than that I have all the parts to rebuild the new head. I have the 550 cylinders and pistons too. I need to get the dough for the machine shop to do the work and put the head together and then I'll be really close to being able to swap out the top end.

Thank you. That's the starter button.

I started tearing down the bike tonight in order to get it ready for the upcoming motor work. I'm a little nervous about this but I'm just gonna take my time.

Bit of progress tonight. I got the exhaust pulled and then removed the breather cover. I took all the tappet covers off and backed off the adjusters all the way. The valve cover took a bit of wiggling to get removed (hope that's not unusual). The bolts were a mix of straight blade screws, Phillips, American allen head, and a few 10mm.

Noticed this nut that held in place by a booger of RTV inside the valve cover.

This is that end of the head. All chewed up.

The pistons will be here soon.

I don't have them yet but I'll post more pics when I do.

Rings showed up today so I got those installed.

Started putting things back together tonight.

Also been working on cleaning up this breather cover.

Still got a long ways to go.

Got the cylinders on last weekend.

Did a bit of wet sanding on the breather cover and one pass on the buffer. It's getting close.

PO didn't have the head secured with all of the hardware but I was able to find some on ebay. Cleaned everything up.

And started working on the tappet covers.

Waiting for some more parts to show up.

IMG_2029_zpsuk7lzlzh.jpg

How's that tennis elbow?

I think there's a little bit of an artist mixed in with your wrenching skills.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I love it when the OCD kicks in.:anon:

How's that tennis elbow?

It does hurt. I really wish I didn't like the look of it so much. The forks just came out amazing and it seems a shame to not do the rest of the aluminum bits. I looked briefly at having a guy vapor blast the valve cover but then I'd have different finishes going on and that would send me over the edge. :roflmao: I usually go for an hour at a time and then my left hand is done.

Back