• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Turn

Jim I just read your PM. I just wanted to say thank you. I really appreciate you thinking of my sorry a$$. You're a good man.

What are they basing the need for that jet size on though? What are the variables like altitude, stock air box or pods, stock exhaust or aftermarket? Also some of the carbs on the 550 do have one that all the others need to be set to but on the old 500 carbs (model 627b) all 4 carbs are adjustable so when syncing them you're really just picking one and then adjusting the other three to be of equal value.

I'm not sure. I just read what the manual pages said. The procedure for the vacuum sync says to use the #2 carb to set the others to.

The chart says:
CB550K3
Main Jet #90
Air Jet #130
Slow Jet #38
Slow Air Jet #150
Jet Needle Setting 3rd groove (E2349F)
Float Height 14.5mm

I tried to post the page for you, but I'm at work and the goverment thinks photobucket is the devil.

That's for a different set of carbs and bike RH. I think the K3 550 was about 1977 (where as mine is a K0 1971 500). If you were to look at the rack of carbs side by side, they appear the same (identically) but they used either an 069A or 022 something or other model on the 550) where as mine are 627B. The internals on the carbs is what makes them different for each bike. It looks like that information is saying that those are the stock settings (I'd have to double check my manuals as they have that info for those carbs as well). However, when I rebuilt my carbs I put them back to stock according to both of my manuals. Big differences between the two models. Those floats are set at 14.5 where as mine get set at 22. It is bizarre when you look at the differences in settings for the exact same carb bodies from model to model.

Thanks for trying to help me man.

I've been looking for a project for a long time. I don't really have the space, skills or tools to take on a car so I decided on a motorcycle. I looked and passed on several before settling on this one. I think it's a good starting point. It's a 1976 CB550K.

Np. I read that in your first post, so that's what I searched.

Yeah...I thought that's what I had bought. That's what I was told I was buying. It's really a 71 500 motor in a 76 550 frame. I was had.

I'm fine with it. I knew I wasn't going to restore the bike so I wasn't too bummed. Last night I came to the conclusion that I think the motor is going to have to be pulled and gone through. This project may get put aside for a bit.

Jim I haven't yet but only for two reasons. 1. I am back in school now and haven't been doing anything to the bike (even riding it) and have been slammed with work for a few weeks now. 2. The throttle cable frayed and I ordered a whole new tube and cables for it. PO installed a single cable pull and it should have a double push/pull so I'm hoping it makes it easier to rotate. It's an absolute bear.

Yeah I need another project. I'm still learning about this damn thing. Case in point, I came across another set of carbs for free so I picked them up and started tearing them down to rebuild them. While doing the cleaning, I was pretty sure that I set the floats too high on mine. They were supposed to be set at 22mm. So...I decided to pull the carbs off the bike and measure them. Sure enough they were all about 4mm too high which could certainly cause a rich condition like I've had for months now. So they're back on the bike now but I haven't ridden it yet. Today I was goofing around in the garage for a bit. I have never been happy with the back end of the bike. Mostly it's the tail light that bothers me. I ended up pulling the fender and chopping more off it and mounting it to the frame a bit lower. This created an area below the seat which is where I'll mount the new light. Just need to find one that I like. Here's how it looks.

I mounted a new tail light the other night. Never liked the other one.

This one is smaller and brighter.

Now I'm not happy with the front end again. I have some changes I'll be doing in the near future.

Ran across this guy a few weeks ago. He didn't speak a lick of English and was broken down on the side of the road. Eventually he got this 1931 Moto Guzzi started and took off. We communicated in a bit of sign language.

A few miles down the road and I saw these guys trying to get this 1937 Indian started. The points ended up being bad and once swapped, it started up and the guy took off. These guys were all part of different teams doing the Cannonball Run. The Spanish team spoke decent English and we talked for about an hour while they worked. Super to hear their stories.

That Indian sure is purdy to look at.... But I wouldn't wanna ride it long distances. Labor of love to own and maintain those classic bikes.

I finally got around to installing some clip on bars and new headlight brackets I've had for a few weeks.

Eventually I'll replace this top clamp with something nicer.

I got the new exhaust installed today. It looks/sounds great. The only issue I have right now is that the fender hits the header even under easy braking. I really like the way a full front fender looks on this bike so I'd rather not cut it down. I think right now I'm going to leave it and eventually order progressive springs and rebuild the forks with fresh oil and see if that makes a difference. If not then I'll have to think on it more. I thought about trimming the mount in the middle of the fender which would be pretty easy but I'd also have to section each side of the struts and weld them back together. I worry that would be difficult and then getting them chromed again would cost a fortune.

OK well I haven't done much with this project over the break but walk past it once in a while. I decided to get after it again. I have progressive springs, new fork oil, seals, and tapered head bearings on the way. I've also started sanding out the fork legs. I love the look of polished aluminum but man does it suck. Here's a few pics as it sits now.

Pretty sure the seals and oil were original. Nasty stuff in there.

Bike as of tonight. Plenty of clearance to the header now though.

Old stinky oil.

This is the leg that I have about 3 hours into now.

A little over 2 hours of sanding tonight. I don't wanna play this game anymore. It sucks.

Back