• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My slooooowwwwww build thread :)

IMO it takes more then a big screwdriver to tap the starter... use a hammer

Starter relay. How are you supposed to check whether it is good or not? I pulled it out and realized wow I cant check to see if it is bad. Then threw it back in. I will try a hammer tomorrow. But it just doesnt make sense that the starter suddenly took a crap (which skreed, thank you again for it) as it started just fine when I put everything back in.

I found this thread (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011879&highlight=start) Which seems to link to the NSS. Blah. Let's pick minds.

I'm quoting this from that nss thread

During the recent NAXJA event in Moab... a '96 XJ had a similar problem....
Tested battery voltage, fuses, starter relay and exchanged A/C relay, verified voltage to the starter solenoid when the ignition is turned to start.
We removed the starter and manually turned the bendix gear.... which was stiff to rotate. Connected jumper cables from the battery to the starter and was able to get the starter to turn over consistantly...
Reinstalled the starter and the engine started...
Recommended to the owner that he replace the starter once we return to camp....
The problem stemmed from oil dropping onto the starter and solenoid during oil changes; which will create dirty electrical contacts and bushings that donot spin freely....

I took a picture of my starter on the first page. Quite oily. Going to take a run back to her in a little and throw it in reverse to see if my reverse lights go on.

jump the starter get a long piece of wire or u can use yur jumper cables....clip and end to the post on the starter that the battery cable goes to then touch yur pos batt terminal.....if it starts its most likely the relay.

Chained her home. Reverse lights showed. Rules out the nss. Took a hammer to the starter (a decent amount, should have un stick whatever was stuck) and nothing still.
Skreed could you re explain that. I will do that in the morning.

Have you been on Pirate 4x4 they have lots of good info on there site and are very helpful

I lurk Pirate 4x4. It feels like your trying to ditch me... but you are right there is some great info and tutorials there.

As an update.. I got it to ran...

But not anymore. So I'm in the right direction. I swapped relays and I got nothing. And my brother was outside and I was showing him how my headlights dont dim when I turn the key on. Well I tried the key 3 times in a row and the third time it just started. kept it running for a while. Was idling fine and all. Then I turned it off to try again and same damn thing.

Im just saying try starting a thread over there and see what they say expand your search

Here is a better shot of the cut bumpers (a few days old)
dscf4163p.jpg

contact cleaner, they sell it at radio shack and probably auto stores. Not pb blaster or wd40, those are different.

Just a theory. But my jeep has been sitting for a couple days due to the alternator issue. So I would imagine that oil and crud had time to "settle" in the starter more. Since I normally drive it every day I never gave the crap a chance to really set in.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and bypass and start it. If no go then I pull away and clean away. I wish I could do something to prevent the oil from getting on it. I seem to have a couple of odd and random leaks every now and then. Nothing drastic where I'm losing a lot of oil. it just seems to seep down and cover the side of my oil pan. Some days it does it some days it dont.

Actually I mis-spoke before....Try to jump the starter by clipping one end to the smallest post with the tiny screw and nut and touch the other end to the pos battery terminal. This will by pass the relay, if it starts it could be the relay of wiring leading up to it. Oily starter.... maybe but I doubt it, I just put that in what 3 weeks ago, i've seen starters caked in oil and still worked fine, but hey you never know. You can also pull the relay and stick and test light in one of the terminals and have someone turn the key. This will let you know u at least have power going to the relay. And last but not least , make sure your cables, and grounds and tight and clean.

Just a theory. But my jeep has been sitting for a couple days due to the alternator issue. So I would imagine that oil and crud had time to "settle" in the starter more. Since I normally drive it every day I never gave the crap a chance to really set in.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and bypass and start it. If no go then I pull away and clean away. I wish I could do something to prevent the oil from getting on it. I seem to have a couple of odd and random leaks every now and then. Nothing drastic where I'm losing a lot of oil. it just seems to seep down and cover the side of my oil pan. Some days it does it some days it dont.

you can prevent it. replace your sending unit. a bad sending unit will leak oil. also check your valve cover gasket

Back