• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My slooooowwwwww build thread :)

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
So I figured instead of making multiple annoying threads like I do. I need to just go ahead and make a build thread. I plan to post lots of goodies as the time comes. And update as what I have done so far. (with pics).
Also I am going to list the things that are to be done and NEED to be done. It would make a very handy checklist for myself (and maybe others?). Feel free to bury this thread I will update as the time comes.

1998 Sport Green Auto
D30/8.25
NV242

Picture of her stock:

dscf3795.jpg

img0266kj.jpg

img0276h.jpg

img0280c.jpg

With the lift and tires and other things removed/modded

dscf3893dw.jpg

dscf3950.jpg

dscf3964.jpg

img0310.jpg

img0318pe.jpg

After fender trimming

dscf3971.jpg

dscf4010.jpg

dscf4011w.jpg

dscf4032k.jpg

dscf4069l.jpg

Since then I have trimmed my front bumper (angled in) If I can get a good dry oppurtunity tomorrow I will snap a quick photo.

So I got a check engine light today for the first time. My friend pulled the codes and reset it. I now apparently have no voltage as my gauge seems to have died again. When I shut off the engine and start it back up it goes a quarter of the way up then dies back down. My check gauge light has been on sense I snapped the oil pressure sendor changing my filter. Here are the codes:

P1682 (G) Charging System Voltage Too Low Battery voltage sense input below target charging voltage during engine operation and no significant change in voltage detected during active test of generator output circuit.

P1682 Charging System Voltage Too Low Charging system output voltage low.

P1698 No CCD/J1850 Message From TCM No CCD/J1850 messages received from the electronic transmission control module (EATX) or the Aisin transmission controller.

P1698 No CCD Messages Received From PCM Bus communication failure to PCM. A "Companion DTC" was set in both the ECM and PCM.

I recently did a oil change, dif fluid, rotor, plugs, wires, battery, 93 wrangler alt swap.

A list in no particular order of what needs / will be done.

Transmission fluid (it's brown)

T case fluid (for my peace of mind)

Rear brakes

Inspect entire jeep for loose parts, crappy bushing and
anything else that needs attention or to be rebuilt. (My rear
kind of hisses while driving. Sounds like the brake may be sticking however).

Fix my god damn steering. (track arm and whatever else needs to be done)

Tow points (trading away those LCA's for http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-37042-Multi-fit-Receiver/dp/B000CQOIR8)

I need to trim up and put those front fender well plastics back. I want to also find a factory splash shield that sits under the engine.

Properly bump stop (hockey puck method ftw)

Cut and fold front inner fender seem (sliced tires ftl)

Maybe overhaul my engine? I would like to do something to
regain the power loss that I feel.

U joints

SYE

Biger lift. I am aiming for low and wide however. (33" tires in the future)

Front/rear bumper

Snorkel

Rustys fenders probably?

Roof cage with lights and hi lift

probably move my alternator (or put a durango alt in) where my non working A/C compressor sits.

There will be more added to the list I'm sure I missed a lot right now.

So ouch guys. I just drove my jeep a tad and ran into some problems. Here is everything that happened just now. This is tied to my unknown electrical problem.

I drained my battery from keeping my engine at idle for about 30 minutes. (Didnt mean to) It was still running and I barely made it home. The lights were really dim the radio would shut off if I hit any other switches. I couldnt turn lights on. headlights felt like they were not even on. If I let idle I would be idling around 300 RPM. I just barely made it home. As I was rolling to a stop I would hear a slight clunking noise. I then turned the key off. As I played with the shifter it would make a low humming noise if I kept it in any gear other than park. Would that have to do with the codes I got today?

This is a wild guess... hows your alternator? If the battery is fully charged it should be sitting at around 12-12.5 VDC. After you get it started, voltage across the + to - terminals should jump to ~14 VDC (as the alternator starts charging). If this doesn't occur then your alternator is bad. I had a similar problem with mine, had to change out the alternator.

Edit: your jeep looks good, looks like a good start.

Thank you. It honestly feels like its going to fall apart. Really want to work on it since it is my DD and my every now and then wheeler. It could be the alternator. I wonder if I should try and return this one to the junkyard and maybe pull one from a durango? I wanted to do that upgrade. I'd buy a new one but I dont have any money. Would like more input.

Also on the way back I was going about 35. I floored it. It sounded like it was being floored but it was not speeding up for anything. :|

Did you ever fix the battery cables

This is a wild guess... hows your alternator?
Ya I was going to suggest this, sounds like your alternator can't recharge your battery.

I drained my battery from keeping my engine at idle for about 30 minutes. (Didnt mean to)
Ya, that should not drain your battery. I've jumped vehicles after having dead batteries, and let them idle for that long, and they did not drain the battery.

Ya I was going to suggest this, sounds like your alternator can't recharge your battery.

Ya, that should not drain your battery. I've jumped vehicles after having dead batteries, and let them idle for that long, and they did not drain the battery.
Well I suppose I will see in the morning when I attempt to start her up. But the gauge was dropped.

Did you ever fix the battery cables

I have replaced a negative cable. It seemed to have fix the problem up until lately.

Truth.

(Anyone know anything about those codes?)
And does that odd power loss problem when I had no power make any sense? 300 RPM dimmed/dying headlights and very underpowered engine. It would scream but just wouldn't really move. Just kep its own momentum.

Last edited:
Wow, I missed that. I'll also say gears are best, but what size tires are those? How are you noticing a big power loss? Rehauling the engine won't get you to feel that power back after you put new tires on.

A list in no particular order of what needs / will be done.

Transmission fluid (it's brown)

T case fluid (for my peace of mind)

Rear brakes

Inspect entire jeep for loose parts, crappy bushing and
anything else that needs attention or to be rebuilt. (My rear
kind of hisses while driving. Sounds like the brake may be sticking however).

Fix my god damn steering. (track arm and whatever else needs to be done)

Tow points (trading away those LCA's for http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-37042-Multi-fit-Receiver/dp/B000CQOIR8)

I need to trim up and put those front fender well plastics back. I want to also find a factory splash shield that sits under the engine.

Properly bump stop (hockey puck method ftw)

Cut and fold front inner fender seem (sliced tires ftl)

Maybe overhaul my engine? I would like to do something to
regain the power loss that I feel.

U joints

SYE

Biger lift. I am aiming for low and wide however. (33" tires in the future)

Front/rear bumper

Snorkel

Rustys fenders probably?

Roof cage with lights and hi lift

probably move my alternator (or put a durango alt in) where my non working A/C compressor sits.

I'd buy a new one but I dont have any money. Would like more input.
Alright, not to sound like a dick, but that is a pretty big list of things that you want but don't actually need. You are saying that you don't have the money to buy a new alternator, but you have all of that stuff planned? Also, you do realize that rebuilding an engine does cost a sizable amount of money, and that if you don't have all the tools and know how, you leave it to the pros, right?

My suggestion is that you take your Jeep to a mechanic, have them go through it, and fix it. It clearly has something the matter with it, and it not reliable at the moment. With 270K miles, that vehicle is going to have a lot of wear on it, especially if previous owners did not treat it nicely.You said its a daily driver, so making sure that it actually drives is the most important thing, after all it doesn't matter if you have a huge lift and tires on a vehicle, if the vehicle doesn't have the ability to turn those tires. It will save you a lot of time and headaches if you let a professional take care it it if you can't figure it out.

It's not that I can't figure it out. I'm not completely incompetent. The tires are 31" so re gearing is not very necessary. At all. When I first got it there was a lot more pep. But this is the only Jeep I ever drove so I cannot compare to others. But I feel as though it is not what is used to be. Everything on that list is just things that come to mind. A few items on the list or important and need to be done. Tools are coming just as a Full time job and other things in my life to help me get where I want. That is why this is called the "slooooowwwwww" thread. I just want to keep it running fine so I can at least get to work.

And yeah I dont have a dime right now. I'm in a struggle. But fighting through it. Obviously I cant buy a single thing. That list is merely a checklist for the past/present/future.

X2 on the alternator, sounds exactly like what was happening when mine was going out, though I suppose it could be a connection as well.

hook a volt meter to the pole coming off your alternator while the jeep is running. if your alternator is good it should read 14 sometimes in the high 13s

Crap I realize I cant edit my first post. Duh.

More things that come to mind that I want to do in the future.

Vaccuum lines

Dielectric grease

d44 up front

lockers

warn winch

replace 4.0/242/aw4

And I have the charger under the hood charging the battery back up right now. My dad said I can move it to the garage later. I'll post pics/videos then of my progress.

Last edited:
you need to fix that cluster f*ck of wires coming off the battery. i would jump it and test the alternator. make sure you unhook the jumper cables before testing

Back